PDA

View Full Version : Mega freak out. Should I pay for therapy?

Fj2014
03-07-14, 12:23
Oh god. I can’t keep my anxiety under control – I feel like everyone in the world has cancer .
I work as a news reporter and just read a terrible story about a baby with a tumour whilst my colleague is on the phone to a lady recovering from breast cancer.
The ONE swollen lymph node under my arm has turned into THREE but that could be because I’ve been poking and prodding.
I have just booked a follow-up blood test for next Friday and an appointment to discuss results nine days later – if my wbc hasn’t gone back to normal I don’t think I’ll cope.

Does anybody know if, if it was something sinister causing this would my bloods have been fine and then wbc raised a week and a half later?

I can’t carry on like this, when I read something/get ideas in my head I freeze and can’t do anything else.
I’m taking Kalms which seem to be helping my sleep and mask the panic symptoms but not sure if I should pay for therapy sessions or wait to see if my doc refers me which isn’t looking likely!!

Any help would be so appreciated!

Cheers xox

Primula
03-07-14, 18:10
Don't wait for your doctor to suggest referral to a therapist. Ask him to refer you. I think that al of us in the Uk are entitled to free counselling. The only problem is there is usually a long waiting list.

If you can afford it see a private CBT therapist, but make sure they are BABCP or BACP registered.