PDA

View Full Version : Advice regarding coming off Diazepam/safe drinking

Vaeltaja_1986
03-07-14, 18:10
Ok, so for the last 7 nights i have been taking 2mg of Diazepam to help me sleep. my doctor was reluctant to give me it as it's addictive etc. To be completely truthful it hasn't worked. I get a little bit drowsy/spaced out for a short while and then nothing. Also, i get a bit anxious the next morning ( I already take 40mg of Citalopram a day for anxiety-with-depression btw). So basically what i would like to know is a) Will i be alright to stop taking it abruptly and b) would it be safe for me to drink alcohol (ie half a dozen beers with my mates etc on friday night) and finally c ) what will my doctor do? - just tell me to take a higher dose?

bernie1977
03-07-14, 18:22
You will not have a physical dependency after taking 2mg of diazepam for 7 nights, so it's okay just to discontinue use. Having beers on Friday will be fine, such a low dose in your blood stream will not cause a reaction. As for what your GP will do I don't know, they may try you with something different to aid sleep like a sleeping tablet such as zopiclone or zolpidem. Again though not something you want to be on long term. Have you tried the herbal sleeping remedies?

Vaeltaja_1986
03-07-14, 18:37
I tried sleep sprays before and they didn't work. Plus i've been told that you can't mix certain sleep tablets etc with citalopram because it can give you serotonin syndrome.

bernie1977
03-07-14, 18:40
I was thinking about Nytol tablets. Do you have problems dropping off to sleep or staying asleep?

Vaeltaja_1986
03-07-14, 18:52
it's both really. It takes me ages to get comfortable and to stop worrying and to just relax and let go. then i'll wake up in the early hours after a nightmare or needing to go to the bathroom etc and it will take me ages to get back to sleep.

bernie1977
03-07-14, 19:01
I used to be like that and funnily enough I was on citalopram at the time. I didn't get on with any of the SSRI & SNRI meds so I was changed to Trazodone, I sleep like a log now as you take this at night as it has a sedative effect

Vaeltaja_1986
03-07-14, 19:06
does trazodone have any bad side affects?

bernie1977
03-07-14, 19:22
When I first started taking it I felt quite groggy for a while upon waking but that's passed. It's a breeze for me compared to the SSRI's as I had such bad side effects from these drugs. We are all different though and what's suitable for one might not be for another.

Vaeltaja_1986
03-07-14, 19:25
ah ok. thanks for the advice :)