PDA

View Full Version : Cipralex (escitalopram)

Merlinssister
10-08-04, 17:37
Hi all,

Have just started taking Cipralex for anxiety/depression. Has anyone else used it and what side effects have they had? I've had disturbed sleep and increased anxiety, not to mention muscle spasms. Is this normal? I'm also feeling quite hyper, almost high this afternoon. I've only been taking the drug for 4 days. Does it get better?

Would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks

nomorepanic
10-08-04, 18:53
Hiya Merlin

Loads of posts on the forum about it. You can use the search facility at the top of the screen to look previous posts up.

Lexapro (Us name) is called Cipralex in the UK - a small variation on citalopram so check out the website page at www.nomorepanic.co.uk/medication.htm

A long post on Citalopram can be found at:

http://nomorepanic.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=72

Happy reading

Nicola

tara
10-08-04, 19:09
Hi Merlinssister, just replied to one of your posts and then I saw this one, as I previously said medication really helped me to get over this bout of anxiety and depression and it is cipralex that I am now taking. They do heighten your anxiety for a few days which is something I know we don't need but stich with it, they have really worked wonders for me I feel "normal " if thats the right word to use , Ireally hope they do the same for you, Take care Tara x

twister
10-08-04, 22:14
Hi merlin's sister

I have used cipralex and found i had early symptoms of nausea and panic etc, i find it really good though.

However, this is a condition called serotonin syndrome which is characterised by euphoria and muscle twitching among other things which means you may need to stop the tablets. I'm sure this isnt what you have but maybe you should just phone the doctor to check. or maybe meg has some more advice than me on this.

All in all, I find it a bit of a wonder drug as I stop panicking with them! Good luck.

Emily

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
Understanding is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad

seh1980
10-08-04, 22:15
hi there,

I've been on cipralex since september and it has done wonders for me. It made me feel really anxious and weird for the first week or two and then it really started making me feel better. I am still improving every month and am so glad that it has worked for me. most people i have spoken to who take cipralex have really found that it has helped them loads. don't worry - i'm sure it'll be the same for you too!!

Sarah (seh1980)

snowman
10-08-04, 22:54
Hi

Im into week 2 of Cipralex after failing with Effexor.

Second time for me although i think in hindsight I came off too early last time after about 5 months and the symptoms were back within a couple of months. Combining with counselling this time to see if that helps. Usual side effects for me are nausia and loss of appetite plus heightned anxiety. This was only bad for the first week this time although after having a few drinks on Sunday I am still feeling rough 2 days later. Still having good days and bad (today particularyly Bad) but hopefully short lived. Has anyone noticed a huge improvement when upping to 20mgs as I have only ever taken 10mgs?

S

prawny
11-08-04, 10:00
hi

i dont no if exactly the same but i am on day 9 of cipramil after giving up on effexor after 5 days. i started on 20mg straight away. i have felt anxious for a few days in the first week with no other side effects. i take it at 9pm and have been sleepy in the morning and tired during the day but as the days are passing this is getting better.

side effects are the worst thing about taking medication and sometimes they can make us worriers worse. but if we can conquer the first few weeks of side effects they are only going to help us on our road to recovery!

dawn x

Merlinssister
11-08-04, 17:59
Thanks guys. That's been really helpful. Have been back to the doc today, and she doesn't feel the side effects are anything to worry about, so it's more a personal choice. Going to give it another week to see how it goes.

And thanks for the info on the American labels etc. I wondered if it was the same as citalopram, but wasn't sure. :D

twister
12-08-04, 10:13
all my side effects wore off after about a week so by the end of next week i bet you'll feel fine!

Emily

Merlinssister
12-08-04, 11:20
Thanks.

tara
14-08-04, 15:10
How r u today, have the side effects calmed down a little yet, hope to find you well, Take care Tara xx

Merlinssister
14-08-04, 16:47
Hey Tara,

Some have gone, some are still here. Have switched to taking it at lunch time in an attempt to give myself some sleep, but this does seem to mean that I've got the weak muscles in the afternoon. Don't really know what to do for the best. Keep telling myself to hang in there, but I must admit it's getting harder all the time.

Still, got to keep :D for the time being and see how things go.

MS

Merlinssister
15-08-04, 09:56
Don't know why I'm getting so worked up about this medication. I could choose to stop it if I wanted to. But just don't trust it, if that makes any sense. I mean, I've taken anti-d's before, so why don't I trust this one. Wake up every morning convinced that I'm going to 'go mad' or 'manic' and that it's all part of the medication's fault, rather than being a symptom of the anxiety. Just want to be told what to do for the best.

tara
15-08-04, 10:07
Hi there, I know it's awful to wake up and like that, what a great start to the day ay, I'm sure if you just stick with it for a little longer the side effects will go. I f you can find something to occupy yourself through this rough patch, gardening, cleaning, someting slightly physical, this may help to take your mind of it for a little while. It's worth a try. Take care Tara x

meesey
19-08-04, 03:49
HI, I AM ON EFEXOR XL, HAVE BEEN ON IT ABOUT 2 AND A HALF WEEKS NOW AT 75mg. I find it isnt working for me no effects to my anxiety at all, although i am suffering from bad side effects, can it be that some drugs just dont work for people and can have the opposite effect... thanks paul

Merlinssister
26-08-04, 21:34
Well, after 3 weeks of trying the doctor took me off the Cipralex. I've had muscle spasms and weakness since the beginning, and yesterday my legs gave out completely without warning (not good for someone whose panic attacks are linked to being dizzy!). He checked my BP and heart etc but felt that it was probably the drugs. So off them we go. Nothing to replace them yet. Got to go back in 2 weeks to review. So now I'm paranoid that my mood will drop too low, which after spending two weeks worrying about being on the drugs is somewhat contrary, but then that's me. Either way, no more SSRIs for me. I did better on the tricyclics last time, and I think if I need anything else I'm going to demand them. They all have side effects, but I know they worked last time, so I'll probably feel safer as well. Thanks for all your support, guys.

twister
26-08-04, 21:38
Sorry to hear about your bad experience - I'm sure you'll still be able to overcome this though, plenty of people on here have done it without drugs.

Emily

seh1980
26-08-04, 22:50
hey there,

Sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you!! I guess each med affects each individual differently. you're just gonna have to find one that suits you. take care and don't worry about it!!

Sarah :D

sal
27-08-04, 01:32
Hi

sorry they didnt work for you but like you say all tablets affect us differently. I tried ssri in the early day prozac and i was like a mad woman, really made me worse, then i tried tryciclics which i thought helped but looking back made me worse, but when you feel so bad i couldnt judge what was helping and what wasnt.

I took dothieopin for 10 months and thought it had changed my life but when i look back it made me worse, but like you say we all react differently.

I feel i have tried so many and when they suggest cipramil, i think i thought i was dying yet another ssri what if it made me like prozac bearing in mind i had tried it about 3 years ago and it made me feel worse, but the doctor pursuaded me to try a small dose and build. It has worked wonders for me and when i look back to how i was it scares me. I remember trying tablets for a couple of weeks and sitting at home scared to go out and rocking.

Just shows you need the ones that suit you and it is a case of trial and error. If tyciclics work for you give them another go if you need them.

Good luck and hope they help you if you need them hon.

Love Sal xxxxx

Merlinssister
27-08-04, 11:45
Thanks everyone. I know a lot of this is trial and error. Just trying to have fatih in the alternative therapies for the next week or so, and reassuring myself that there are lots of alternative drugs if i need them, once the cipralex is out of my system. :D

tara
28-08-04, 09:17
Sorry things didn't work out for you, but you were having a really difficult time with these. Not every med suits everyone and i'm sure you'll find something that does suit you. There are loads of alternative therapies. chinese, aromatherapy, vitamins, relaxation, meditation all these are worth looking into and it'll keep you busy lol.........Tara xxx

seh1980
29-08-04, 01:09
hello there,

Hope you are now feeling better that the Cipralex is out of your system!! Are you thinking about trying a different med?

Merlinssister
29-08-04, 13:54
Feeling a lot better now that the Cipralex is washing away. My anxiety levels are dropping and I feel more human. Still very fuzzy headed, and my sleep is all over the place, but am feeling more confident in my skills in coping as each day goes. Thanks for your support!

Meg
29-08-04, 23:53
Great news ,

It's so lovely when we wake up on day and realize that Yes, we do feel better today !!

Meg

meesey
06-01-05, 18:07
HI, I have only just found this thread, i have been on Cipralex for 5 days now, and have some side effects like nausea and more anxiety, i have been getting the muscle twitches the last week, but not sure if this is due to the medication, i cant remember if i had them a couple of days before the meds, should i be thinking about not taking this med if i am getting muscle twitches, also what is the difference between muscle twitches and muscle spasms, guess i should phone my Dr and ask, Cheers Paul

Ambience
14-08-05, 00:28
Yes as the months go on it does get easier, but it may cause anxiety at first, stick with it :)

All the best !!

andrewjdavid2005
15-08-05, 21:21
Hi

I have to say i didnt have any side effects when starting cipralex, i have been taking it for around 13 months now, it has made a difference but it doesnt cure your problems i know that for sure.

After 2 weeks you should grow out of side effects as the body starts getting used to the new pils.

Best Wishes

Andrew

mjh74
15-08-05, 22:13
One thing I've noticed with Cipralex that I also got with Cipramil and didn't realise was a single obsessive thought pattern. Although the Cipralex I'm on have helped me cope and feel a bit better, I also have the thought of my throat anxiety constantly racing around my mind. It was the same when I took Cipramil but was having CBT at the time which helped with the thoughts as I withdrew from Cipramil. After that, I felt really clear headed and the thoughts had gone..... until this bout of anxiety a year later *sigh*...

Mark

bones
05-10-05, 13:37
Hi
ive been on cipralex now for 3 weeks still however feeling anxious and phoebic im only on 10mg a day and i take them in the morning before breakfast. Im off to the docs tonite to get a repeat prescription Will keep you all informed. Anyone else noticed an improvement taking this drug i have been told it can take upto 6 weeks to kick in.

andy

bones
06-10-05, 12:07
Hi Everyone
been to Docs and hes upped by dosage to 20mg. Ive also got high blood pressure which could be from the drugs but as i was feeling very anxious about seeing the doctor i reckon could be that. However have decided to go on a diet and change my life style less drinking etc.
Ill see how i get on

andy

kaz0904
17-06-08, 21:11
I have just been prescribed another course of Cipralex, took my first tablet this afternoon.

For some reason my GP put me straight on one a day, possibly because I have had them before. So far the only effect I have noticed is a vaugue, spaced feeling for a while, and increased sharpness of vision. Its like everything came into very sharp focus all of a sudden. That has passed now too. At least its better than last time, I got palpitations every day for a week when I started on these tablets.

Fingers crossed I won't get too many side effects this time :)

beverley gango
30-07-08, 23:36
hi there ive bin on cipralex for 5 weeks now and finding it hard to sleep, i also feel ive def got more energy (hyper) sleep probs duin my head in but i do feel a little better by that i mean my mood seems to have lifted a little x touch wood ....