PDA

View Full Version : Hello..I'm new here!

carriek86
04-07-14, 12:04
Hello, I am new on here and I just wanted to introduce myself and tell you all a bit about me and my journey with panic disorder, agoraphobia and GAD.

I have always suffered with panic attacks and anxious feelings but around 2 years ago it really came to a head, panic attack after panic attack I found it hard to go to work and then eventually leave the house. I was diagnosed by my GP with agoraphobia and I felt crushed and ashamed...how did it ever come to be like this.

I spent months looking out the window and wondering how people were managing to leave the house when just the thought of it made me feel nauseous and dizzy. It was so bad sometimes I wouldn't even leave my bed and would panic being on my own all day whilst my partner went out to work, one week I even spent almost the whole time lying down because I was worried about my heart rate going too high, I have experienced many thoughts and physical feelings and to list them would take far too long!

I know this all sounds a bit gloomy but I just want to say that things have improved for me massively over the last year or so, with a bit of strength and determination I have managed to start living a fuller life. I now volunteer at my local library 3 days a week and if I am with people I can travel anywhere up to a few miles away from my home (or what used to be known as my safety place) It's not been easy but it has been worth it.

I know every bodies situation is different but I do believe that starting small really does lead to bigger things, I'm not completely out off my illness but I am feeling more positive and can deal with my dark days a little better than before.....so that's me! I am looking forward to reading more info on here about agoraphobia, panic disorder and GAD and working on my problems day by day. Carrie x :)

---------- Post added at 11:04 ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 ----------

I know I said I wouldn't post a list of everything I have experienced but here are a few things just in case anyone wanted to chat about any of them.

*fear of being alone
*fear of a heart attack and health issues
*not being able to listen to music as it would make me panic (I know this is random...is it just me?)
*fear of being far away from home
*anxiety migraines
*phobias of eating certain food that you one enjoyed due to fear of having an allergic reaction

and much more!

Johnny43
04-07-14, 12:51
Hey welcome,you've come to the right place to speak to people with simalar problems,I have gad and ocd,I hope you find this place useful