PDA

View Full Version : Retching still bad and yet again my Glucose blood test has come back with high levels

cjemc
04-07-14, 12:13
Since I started the retching badly back in 2013 I have been sent for 30+ blood tests and I keep having persistent problems with my Glucose Fasting results. I have given levels of 6,7mmo/l, 6.8mmo/l, 7.3mmo.l and finally 7.9mmo/l...
I cant help but think that I could be retching due to a Glucose related disorder, my GP is on holiday and I cant see him till next week!!!
I don't think I have diabetes as I don't have any symptoms of that but I remember before I gave this latest level of 7.9mmo/l he asked me if I had had my pancreas tested and now I am worried!!!!

Why do my Glucose results keep coming back with diabetic levels I wonder??? I wonder if I got my levels lowered to a healthy level then would the retching stop??? Maybe my body isn't handling Glucose correctly hence these constant urges to heave/retch???

Rennie1989
04-07-14, 18:14
We are not medical professionals and therefore can't answer that. You're better off waiting to see your doctor next week.

cjemc
04-07-14, 20:28
Hi Rennie, I will do! I am just going mad due to the fact that this has been going on for 15 days now and I have had to wait for his holiday to finish. God I want an end to this disgusting affliction, seeing as how my Glucose levels keep coming back with strange levels this could indicate something surely.

pulisa
05-07-14, 08:56
If anything really serious were going on then you wouldn't have to wait for your GP to return from holiday in order for further action to be taken.

Retching is an anxiety symptom. Diabetes isn't caused by anxiety.

Rennie1989
05-07-14, 12:21
Remember that your doctor is entitled to a holiday, undisturbed.

Are you eating a lot of sugary foods?

Fishmanpa
05-07-14, 17:30
Are you eating a lot of sugary foods?

I once had a blood test that was supposed to be fasting and I stupidly had some wine. My bloods were whacked and the doctor had to do the tests again. Alcohol can and does contribute to developing diabetes. Are you still drinking nightly?

Positive thoughts

cjemc
05-07-14, 17:47
I once had a blood test that was supposed to be fasting and I stupidly had some wine. My bloods were whacked and the doctor had to do the tests again. Alcohol can and does contribute to developing diabetes. Are you still drinking nightly?

Positive thoughts

Hi Fishmanpa yes I am drinking nightly. However I have had this blood test done years ago when I wasn't drinking and I gave a level of 6.8mmo/l so even without drinking the night before my blood sugar levels are still close to 7.0mmo/l which here in the UK is diabetic levels. I am not sure how it works in the USA though with regards to levels?

Catherine S
05-07-14, 17:52
Sorry, a little confused. If you are at the UK diabetes mmo levels why aren't the doctors treating you? They wouldn't do a test, see results that indicate it and just ignore it surely?

cjemc
05-07-14, 18:03
Sorry, a little confused. If you are at the UK diabetes mmo levels why aren't the doctors treating you? They wouldn't do a test, see results that indicate it and just ignore it surely?

Hi there. I keep giving very erratic results. On many occasions I am giving levels of just below 7.0mmo/l which is diabetes I.E. 6.7 and 6.8mmo/l and on other occasions I am giving levels of 7.3mmol-7.9mmo/l so I am neither diabetic nor not diabetic. I keep producing fluctuating results which is why I am persistently having this problem. I am in no mans land so to speak, neither diabetic nor neither diabetic if that makes sense???

Fishmanpa
05-07-14, 18:13
Hi Fishmanpa yes I am drinking nightly.

And you don't associate this with your retching and anxiety issues yet? :doh:

Positive thoughts

cjemc
05-07-14, 18:29
And you don't associate this with your retching and anxiety issues yet? :doh:

Positive thoughts

I know Fishmanpa! I am so stupid really but all rationality has just gone out of my life in recent years :ohmy:
I just don't know what to do, not only do I have alcoholic and anxious tendencies but I also have bad coping skills...

pulisa
05-07-14, 18:56
No doctor would fail to treat full-blown diabetes and I don't think that there are any half-measures as regards diabetes? You either have it or you don't.

You must try and stop tormenting yourself, calum. I know it's really hard but if you've had 30+ blood tests then a conclusion re the diabetes would surely have been reached, Are you having glucose tolerance tests or the straightforward fasting tests?

Catherine S
05-07-14, 19:04
Its called borderline so it doesn't have to be treated unless it develops into full blown diabetes. Borderline means it can usually be reversed by reducing sugar intake, and your main culprit I would say is the sugar in your blood and urine from your nightly alcohol intake. Until recently I drank every evening at home...and spirits not just wine and had done for some time, but was told to stop as it was affecting my liver, my stomach/digestive system, my ectopics and anxiety in general. I would be lucky to get 4 hours of alcohol induced sleep before waking up sweating with my heart pounding. I sometimes wondered if I was an alcoholic but in the end it was just a really bad habit, and ive kicked it. I never drink at home now, only if I go out for a meal and have one or two glasses of wine. In 6 wks i'm sleeping better, my ectopics are much less scary (I take propranolol for these usually but am seriously thinking I don't need them now to be honest) and have loads more energy. I wish i'd broken the habit a long time ago, but i'm well aware that anxiety symptoms keep us wanting to self medicate and that its a vicious circle.

The biggest improvement is my digestive system. Alcohol weakens the valve that sits at the entrance to the stomach and this allows some of the acid to travel back up the oesophagus and produce acid rflux, indigestion, heart burn etc. It could be a reason for your retching...so in this way it actually could be physical...but...its a result of excessive alcohol, and that in turn is because of your anxiety...so you still need to get the cause sorted out.

Don't know if any of this makes sense :huh:
ISB x

Fishmanpa
05-07-14, 19:55
Its called borderline so it doesn't have to be treated unless it develops into full blown diabetes. Borderline means it can usually be reversed by reducing sugar intake, and your main culprit I would say is the sugar in your blood and urine from your nightly alcohol intake. Until recently I drank every evening at home...and spirits not just wine and had done for some time, but was told to stop as it was affecting my liver, my stomach/digestive system, my ectopics and anxiety in general. I would be lucky to get 4 hours of alcohol induced sleep before waking up sweating with my heart pounding. I sometimes wondered if I was an alcoholic but in the end it was just a really bad habit, and ive kicked it. I never drink at home now, only if I go out for a meal and have one or two glasses of wine. In 6 wks i'm sleeping better, my ectopics are much less scary (I take propranolol for these usually but am seriously thinking I don't need them now to be honest) and have loads more energy. I wish i'd broken the habit a long time ago, but i'm well aware that anxiety symptoms keep us wanting to self medicate and that its a vicious circle.

The biggest improvement is my digestive system. Alcohol weakens the valve that sits at the entrance to the stomach and this allows some of the acid to travel back up the oesophagus and produce acid rflux, indigestion, heart burn etc. It could be a reason for your retching...so in this way it actually could be physical...but...its a result of excessive alcohol, and that in turn is because of your anxiety...so you still need to get the cause sorted out.

Don't know if any of this makes sense :huh:
ISB x

It makes total sense! 1+1=2 Drinking contributed to your physical issues which in turn contributed to your anxiety. Stop A and B results. In this case, stop drinking, treat the root which is anxiety and the retching will most likely cease. That's the most straightforward and logical path to take.

Positive thoughts

Rennie1989
05-07-14, 20:41
Also, why look for a complicated solution (which is unlikely to be the solution) when the most simplest one is right in front of you?

Catherine S
05-07-14, 21:17
Pulisa, alcohol is only one reason this stomach valve can be compromised, it can also happen through other factors such as excess weight, but Callumcco is a drinker so for me that was an obvious factor.

ISB

inCOGnito
05-07-14, 21:54
Might be worth looking at this site or contacting the author for his opinion. He's quite vocal about the relationship between glucose/hypoglycemia and anxiety.

http://www.hypoglycemia.asn.au/2011/what-is-hypoglycemia/

I'm not totally convinced by it just because he makes grand claims with little substantial evidence (he points to a bunch of random studies that show nothing but circumstantial evidence or indirect evidence). I would more convinced if he actually did some research. It really would not be that difficult - small amount of funding and it would very very straight forward to scientifically validate the claim. But anyway, im sure there is some truth behind it, certainly more so for a minority of people with anxiety.

Check it out anyway, it might give you some clues.

cjemc
06-07-14, 09:56
Thank you all guys, you have reassured me and raised some very valid points. Thank you so much... :bighug1:

---------- Post added at 09:56 ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 ----------

Pulisa, alcohol is only one reason this stomach valve can be compromised, it can also happen through other factors such as excess weight, but Callumcco is a drinker so for me that was an obvious factor.

ISB

Yes agreed. I am very slim anyway and I don't smoke and I exercise regularly.

sarahsarah
08-07-14, 11:56
All of those glucose results you gave us suggest either pre-diabetes or diabetes. Two fasting tests over 7.0 mmol would be enough for a diagnosis. Despite what you might read in the press, type 2 diabetes can affect anyone regardless of weight or activity levels, though there is no denying that if you are overweight and inactive on diagnosis, changing this can be beneficial to your blood glucose control. .

By the way, cutting back on sugar won't make much difference to your blood glucose levels unless you also cut back on other carbohydrates in your diet. The body can't tell the difference between sugar or other carbohydrates and metabolises them in the same way. Yes, some carbs digest more slowly than others but to blood glucose levels, they all have the same effect. Incidentally, in the short-term, alcohol lowers blood glucose levels, rather than raise them (your liver is busy dealing with the alcohol so doesn't pump out as much of its own glucose, to put it very simply)

You need to follow up with your doctor to find out what's going on. The numbers aren't super high and certainly not high enough to cause any of the traditional diabetes symptoms but you do need to see your doctor. Most likely you will have something called a Glucose Tolerance Test, to see how well your body deals with high concentrations of carbohydrates.

You may well be perfectly fine and not diabetic at all but do go and get yourself sorted xx

AnxietyDJ
08-07-14, 12:20
I can definitely empathise with your retching symptoms as I get that as one of the worst parts of my anxiety / panic attacks.... Can also agree with everyone else that alcohol most definitely makes it worse and drinking regularly / heavily will not make you feel any better, and will definitely make the retching more frequent and extreme...

If you can manage it just try to not drink, or cut waaaaay down, for several weeks and I'm sure you will notice the difference.

Also, my friend is currently going through the same thing as you - i.e keeps testing in and out of diabetes range, but his doctor won't do anything about it until they can test him minus alcohol, so he is now abstaining for six weeks so they can take more bloods... Maybe you should do the same and then go for another test?

Hope you're having a good day and good luck :)

cjemc
09-07-14, 16:32
All of those glucose results you gave us suggest either pre-diabetes or diabetes. Two fasting tests over 7.0 mmol would be enough for a diagnosis. Despite what you might read in the press, type 2 diabetes can affect anyone regardless of weight or activity levels, though there is no denying that if you are overweight and inactive on diagnosis, changing this can be beneficial to your blood glucose control. .

By the way, cutting back on sugar won't make much difference to your blood glucose levels unless you also cut back on other carbohydrates in your diet. The body can't tell the difference between sugar or other carbohydrates and metabolises them in the same way. Yes, some carbs digest more slowly than others but to blood glucose levels, they all have the same effect. Incidentally, in the short-term, alcohol lowers blood glucose levels, rather than raise them (your liver is busy dealing with the alcohol so doesn't pump out as much of its own glucose, to put it very simply)

You need to follow up with your doctor to find out what's going on. The numbers aren't super high and certainly not high enough to cause any of the traditional diabetes symptoms but you do need to see your doctor. Most likely you will have something called a Glucose Tolerance Test, to see how well your body deals with high concentrations of carbohydrates.

You may well be perfectly fine and not diabetic at all but do go and get yourself sorted xx

Hi I had a Glucose Tolerance Test in December 2013 and I was told there was no problem. My results were 6.8mmo/l from the fingerprick sample, then I gave an immediate sample from my arm which was 6.7mmo/l and then 2 hours later they took another sample from the arm and it had dropped all the way down to 4.8mmo/l...

However the Dr contacted me last week saying it had been 6 months since my GTT and that he wanted me to be tested as part of a 6 monthly pre-diabetes query. This was on June 20th and I gave the 7.3mmo/l level. I have been calling my Dr everyday for 4 days and keep being told to ring back the next day, this has been happening since last Friday and I still cant get an appointment...

I wonder what will happen from here??? Will I be sent for another repeat Fasting Glucose or will I have to have another Oral Glucose Tolerance Test or possibly a random Glucose sample???

---------- Post added at 16:32 ---------- Previous post was at 16:28 ----------

I can definitely empathise with your retching symptoms as I get that as one of the worst parts of my anxiety / panic attacks.... Can also agree with everyone else that alcohol most definitely makes it worse and drinking regularly / heavily will not make you feel any better, and will definitely make the retching more frequent and extreme...

If you can manage it just try to not drink, or cut waaaaay down, for several weeks and I'm sure you will notice the difference.

Also, my friend is currently going through the same thing as you - i.e keeps testing in and out of diabetes range, but his doctor won't do anything about it until they can test him minus alcohol, so he is now abstaining for six weeks so they can take more bloods... Maybe you should do the same and then go for another test?

Hope you're having a good day and good luck :)

Hi the strange thing is that I retch even when I am not anxious, it happens anything from 6-12 times a day and is involuntary. I went 3 days without drink in December 2013 and the retching and craving for sugar stopped almost completely. However I have been drinking a lot recently...

Why does your friend keep having diabetic issues???

PanchoGoz
09-07-14, 17:10
I went 3 days without drink in December 2013 and the retching and craving for sugar stopped almost completely

sarahsarah
10-07-14, 13:58
6.7 mmol fasting is pre-diabetic. You should have been given some advice on this on how to take steps to prevent it developing into full-blown diabetes. Saying it is "no problem" was bad advice. Whilst it's encouraging that you "passed" the OGTT, that is only one way diabetes is diagnosed. Your latest fasting test does show diabetes but it does need repeating, one test is not enough for a diagnosis. I know waiting is frustrating but as I said before, your numbers aren't dangerously high or anything and type 2 diabetes is all about the long game anyway. A week or so won't make any difference, I promise you.

If you are diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, it isn't the end of the world, even though it is scary at first. It's a very controllable condition and there's a lot you can do yourself to keep those complications you've probably heard about at bay. However, let's see what your next set of tests throw up and deal with it if and when xx

AnxietyDJ
10-07-14, 14:50
I went 3 days without drink in December 2013 and the retching and craving for sugar stopped almost completely. However I have been drinking a lot recently...

Why does your friend keep having diabetic issues???

Surely that statement gives you the answer to to all of your problems?!?!?

My friend has a few other medical conditions as well, but basically, he drinks too much and lives quite an unhealthy live style. As in your case, the likelihood is that if he stops drinking or cuts right down, a lot of the issues will fix themselves.

cjemc
12-07-14, 15:25
6.7 mmol fasting is pre-diabetic. You should have been given some advice on this on how to take steps to prevent it developing into full-blown diabetes. Saying it is "no problem" was bad advice. Whilst it's encouraging that you "passed" the OGTT, that is only one way diabetes is diagnosed. Your latest fasting test does show diabetes but it does need repeating, one test is not enough for a diagnosis. I know waiting is frustrating but as I said before, your numbers aren't dangerously high or anything and type 2 diabetes is all about the long game anyway. A week or so won't make any difference, I promise you.

If you are diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, it isn't the end of the world, even though it is scary at first. It's a very controllable condition and there's a lot you can do yourself to keep those complications you've probably heard about at bay. However, let's see what your next set of tests throw up and deal with it if and when xx

Hi saw my Dr on Thursday. My HbA1c test came back at 27mmo/l which is excellent but my Glucose Fasting was 7.3mmo/l. I am being sent for a repeat of both again but my Dr is baffled by why the Glucose Fasting sample is indicative of diabetes and why the HbA1c test suggests completely the opposite??? Anyone have any idea???

Rennie1989
12-07-14, 15:32
If your doctor doesn't know then I think it's highly unlikely that us non-medical professionals will.

Fishmanpa
12-07-14, 19:47
By fasting, did you abstain from alcohol for a few (3-5 days) days prior? I can tell you from experience (and from what I was told by my doctor) you need to allow your body time to rid itself from the additional sugars found in spirits, wine and beer.

Positive thoughts