PDA

View Full Version : Someone to talk to

cheryl75
04-07-14, 21:54
I am happily married and have been suffering with health anxiety for the last 18 months. My husband is the best man ever, but in the sense of understanding my fears, he doesn't. I tell him, today was a bad day for me, and he changes the subject. I say I had an anxiety attack today and he responds with " oh dear". To be honest I'm not sure what I want him to say, but I do know I need to chat to people that know how to respond when I am having a bad time of it. I want to chat to people who have the same anxieties and fears. Anybody else feel that sometimes your alone even though you might have loads of friends and family who care about you?

Catherine S
04-07-14, 22:34
Hi Cheryl, yes its difficult for the people in our lives to understand our fears and it can cause problems in relationships. You're in good company here though :)

ISB x

luc
04-07-14, 22:41
Hi Cheryl and welcome!

Chat away - you will get a lot of support from NMP.

Lucia.

susan64
04-07-14, 22:46
Hi Cheryl, I know where you're coming from with this, my partner, who I love dearly and loves me the same, just doesn't understand my anxiety! He can't see what I have to be anxious about, then again sometimes I don't either, it just comes on me sometimes. Usually there has been a trigger for it but not always. I'm lucky that I have 3 sons who at one time or another have suffered anxiety or panic attacks, so they understand, especially my middle son Matthew who is 25, he has been a rock lately! It's very hard for anyone who hasn't ever experienced what we have to comprehend how it feels. There are some lovely understanding folk on this site. Are you on medication?

starfire
06-07-14, 08:28
Hi Cheryl --

Yes! I have the same issue with my boyfriend, who is wonderful and supportive, but just doesn't get it. He tells me to just "turn it off" (ha!).

My mom is the same way. I called her tonight to help me through a panic attack, and bless her, she just made it worse. Started telling me I was making her feel bad/guilty, because I had issues and she didn't understand why. Generally unhelpful and more anxiety inducing stuff. :shrug:

You're definitely not alone! I think our loved ones really want to help us, but just do not know how.

Lin71
06-07-14, 15:48
Yep....sounds familiar. My partner is my best friend, we love each other dearly, and I know he thinks he's helping when he says things like 'well if you're obsessing about it of course it's going to make you anxious, just don't think about it' or....'when your time is up, it's up! Don't worry about it!'

This is his way of helping, trying to make light of it and make me realise that I'm being irrational, but as we all know its not that simple!

So no Cheryl, you're not alone, far from it!

Lin x