PDA

View Full Version : Is this typical for panic attacks?

kia-kaha
05-07-14, 03:47
Hi everyone,

Nearly 3 months ago, I collapsed at work (never blacked out, just got really dizzy and couldn't keep upright) and had to be rushed to hospital with elevated blood pressure and ongoing dizziness and nausea. I was discharged after a number of tests (blood tests, heart scans and checks for a stroke) with no real diagnosis. Everything looked fine.

I took two weeks off work and rested to try and bring my blood pressure back down to normal (in the hospital it was 150/110).

I have had nearly every test possible, but they still can't find the cause. Hearing was fine, heart echocardiogram (still waiting for results), heart x-ray was normal, blood pressure is now medicated and down to 128/88 (within acceptable limits).

Since then, I have had many "attacks" of this dizziness, but have never collapsed. But these post-collapse attacks have been a little different and have me wondering if they are panic/anxiety attacks.

I feel a numbness/tingling in my lower legs and feet, the lightheadedness (which scares me into thinking I'm going to collapse again), a tightness in the chest, instant loss of appetite (if I am eating when it happens, it changes suddenly and the food makes me feel sick), and a prickling/tingling sensation down the back of my neck. These are the things I have been conscious of anyway.

My doctor has just started me on Fluoxetine (Prozac) to help with some of the anxiety associated with collapsing and I am now on day 4. I had a couple of massive "dizziness attacks" today and thought I was going to collapse again.

The doctor hasn't diagnosed me with panic disorder / attacks / whatever, and is still looking for a physical cause for the problems, including Menieres Disease (I have to wait 4 more months before the ENT appt for this).

So what I am wondering, is whether the original problem is gone and this is now panic attacks that I am suffering from?

Thanks for reading! Please let me know if these symptoms sound typical for what you have faced with panic attacks etc, as I am starting to think that I am going crazy with all this.

JustJay
05-07-14, 10:46
Nobody exhibits exactly the same panic attack effects, but from what you've said I would say panic disorder is definitely what you're suffering from, but you still need to get all the clinical tests complete to know how to move forward. Most people on here will have had the symptoms you're exhibiting during their own attacks, I know I have. Start reading up on panic and fight or flight responses to broaden your understanding and help ease them when they occur. Good luck. Jay.

kia-kaha
05-07-14, 23:32
Thanks Jay. I will read up on the things you have suggested.

Yossino
06-07-14, 10:43
The biggest question is what are you thinking about when it happens? It can even be a near sub-consciousness thought. What are you worried about?

JustJay
06-07-14, 19:40
Distraction is a key tool in the arsenal against this "condition". Try listening to positive you tube vids, uplifting music, reading a book by a loved author, watching your fave tv programme. I've found the lectures of Alan watts helpful, a bit hippyfied, but lots of sense and sometimes something just clicks and can make a huge difference in our outlook, if only temporary, it's still better than the alternative.

kia-kaha
06-07-14, 23:59
The biggest question is what are you thinking about when it happens? It can even be a near sub-consciousness thought. What are you worried about?

Hi Yossino,

I am not sure what causes it to start, I haven't been able to catch myself thinking about anything in particular, but as soon as I start to feel any symptoms my thoughts go to "am I ok? Will I collapse again? What if..." etc type thinking.

At first I was scared of collapsing again, but I have realised that I am really scared of needing to be taken back to the hospital. Although, I realise they were just being cautious last time, and I really didn't need to go.

It's all been on my mind a lot due to not having a proper diagnosis, so I am not sure whether there is a near-subconscious trigger or not :-(

---------- Post added at 10:59 ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 ----------

Distraction is a key tool in the arsenal against this "condition". Try listening to positive you tube vids, uplifting music, reading a book by a loved author, watching your fave tv programme. I've found the lectures of Alan watts helpful, a bit hippyfied, but lots of sense and sometimes something just clicks and can make a huge difference in our outlook, if only temporary, it's still better than the alternative.

Hi Just-Jay,

Thanks for the advice. I have been trying to practice some distractors when it happens (such as counting backwards from 100 in 3's, snapping an elastic band or taking a drink of water etc). They do seem to help, so I am keen to check out some of Alan Watts' lectures as suggested.