PDA

View Full Version : How to stay calm during hair appointments?

Blondiexxoo
05-07-14, 06:28
Hey everyone,
I have REALLY bad anxiety and I need to go to 2 hair appointments. The first one is just a shampoo, trim, and style. And the second one is a color (I'm wanting to go blonde). It will take an hour 30 minutes and I'm so worried! My anxiety is really bad and the smells of products, shampoos, etc bothers me and makes me freak out. What would you do? What makes it worse is I got a referral from a friend (this hairstylist does my friend's hair) so I don't want to act like a freak and embarrass myself. But what if I start having a panic attack?

And after this, I'm going to have to go back every 6 weeks for touch-ups.

littlemrs
05-07-14, 09:17
I hate going for hair appointments too. I've been using the same salon for a few years now, and the same stylist, but I have social anxiety and dread having to sit in the chair and make small talk. For these reasons I go every 3 months and only for a wet cut. I'm due for a trim and my anxiety is rising at the thought! I don't like the idea of having a home visit either as I'd feel more of a responsibility to initiate conversation.

Perhaps it's worth telling your hairstylist that you get nervous and feel uncomfortable. I feel less pressure on myself when people around me know how I feel. Good luck anyway :)

pandora wilosn
05-07-14, 09:47
hi im new hear. its horrible having panick and anxiety attacks i have them all the time. if you can afford it get a cab there and back. or if your feeling confident enough cab there and bus back. always try to carry iced water with you cos you cant panic and drink at the same time. i hope this helps a bit. :)

GingerFish
05-07-14, 12:51
Tell the hairdresser you feel a little panicky, they will most likely understand and will be ok to take little breaks if you need them. They'll probably also offer you a glass or water or a cuppa.

Blondiexxoo
07-07-14, 06:44
Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets anxious about hair appointments lol