PDA

View Full Version : CBT, does it work?

JustJay
06-07-14, 12:03
Hello again my wonderful brothers (and sisters ) in arms. So I've had one CBT session in which we covered lots of stuff I already knew, and came away feeling just the same. I'm not expecting miracles, and also understand cbt can be a long and drawn out process. My question is, has anyone undertaken a full CBT session, and what were your opinions on it, and ultimately were there any benefits?
Cheers
Stay well....Jay.

AnxietyDJ
06-07-14, 14:10
I've had one course of 6 CBT sessions through the NHS and my own personal experience wasn't that great.

I was mainly told things that to me were basic common sense and really obvious and therefore didn't really change my way of thinking. Also, I guess I didn't feel ready to have to confront my fears and anxieties - especially using some of the main examples we focused on - and therefore found that over analysing them and trying to throw myself in the deep end, so to speak, only served to make them worse :(

I hope that doesn't put you off Jay - obviously that was just my own personal experience and I know a lot of people who had many benefits from CBT. It's well worth trying obviously, but I would just make sure you get your thoughts over to them so they don't assume you are ready for x, y, or z, if you're really not.... I guess I let the therapist run away down certain avenues that were not entirely correct in my case... Suppose the sessions not working too well may have largely been my fault! :(

Fishmanpa
06-07-14, 14:46
There is no real method that will heal you unless you work at it. It's the same concerning serious physical illnesses. Recovery from cancer is daily work for me. I have good days and not so good days but I work on it every day. To heal from mental illness is really no different. Whether it's CBT, one on one therapy, meds etc, you have to follow through for it to be effective.

In many ways (all ways IMO) CBT is a way of thinking. Yes, it is a lot of common sense. It also teaches you why your body reacts the way it does to perceived threats. The tools offered require work. It's essentially learning a new way to think and react. That's my take on it. I use the free course offered here as a tool to keep my attitude positive. It also helped me with some depression I was experiencing.

Positive thoughts

venusbluejeans
06-07-14, 14:52
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Ruby13
06-07-14, 14:54
I have my first CBT session this Thursday and do not really know what to expect, all I know is, that I want to get my life back again. I appreciate there will be no quick fix but will work at it. I want it to work.

Rennie1989
06-07-14, 15:06
I felt the same after my first session of CBT. I left feeling unaccomplished and unsure. But the first session is how the therapist understands you and where your problems lie. The proceeding sessions will become beneficial.

As Fishmanpa rightly said, it only works as long as you work towards it. CBT is homework based where you have to write journals and try out techniques where they get evaluated at the next session. CBT can be very successful, my anxiety levels went from severe to minor.

Ruby13
06-07-14, 16:01
Rennie1989 that is so encouraging to read, thank you.

Toniandhollie
06-07-14, 16:11
Hollie is doing CBT, had 6 sessions so far, what she said last week (I pay for this so go in with her) is that instead of being told to go and cope with the panic, and ways to cope, she now understands why she it happens, what is happening body and brain wise that all comes together into something so big and scary. She basically has to retrain her brain, little but continuously is the way to do that. Hope that helps xx

JustJay
06-07-14, 19:26
Thank you all for taking the time to reply. Some encouraging opinions and objective ones too. I have my second session tomorrow at 1pm, I'm not looking forward to it, mainly because I've had a terrible weekend and I'm on high alert, agoraphobia is kicking in and I just want to try gather myself tomorrow, but hey ho, I continue to search for the answer to this universal question. If I get the answer you will all be the first to know. Stay positive. Jay.

Ruby13
07-07-14, 16:40
Thank you all for taking the time to reply. Some encouraging opinions and objective ones too. I have my second session tomorrow at 1pm, I'm not looking forward to it, mainly because I've had a terrible weekend and I'm on high alert, agoraphobia is kicking in and I just want to try gather myself tomorrow, but hey ho, I continue to search for the answer to this universal question. If I get the answer you will all be the first to know. Stay positive. Jay.

Hope your second session went well.

JustJay
08-07-14, 16:47
Hi Bitternegirl, the second session went amazingly well to be honest. My scepticism which normally takes over reasonable thought was banished in the first 5 minutes of an hour long session which seemed like 10 minutes. I won't say I had the moment of absolute clarity we all seek, but I definitely left feeling a lot more optimistic and having gained some knowledge that will prove invaluable in my recovery, which will happen, sooner or later. From here on in my Monday sessions of CBT will be greeted with open arms and hopefully are as constructive as yesterday's. I know CBT isn't everyone's cup of tea, I wasn't mine, but at this juncture I'm prepared to take any help that's offered, I hope others have a therapist like mine and gain Something from opening their minds.
Cheers. Jay.

Sunflower2
08-07-14, 17:58
Cbt for me took a long long time to actually take proper effect. You really have to want to do it, as my half hearted attempts didn't get me anywhere. Since I really started to put all my effort into the techniques I've learnt, I am seeing a difference in my thinking, and I can identify thoughts before they take hold. (Not always, but at least some of the time now!) I have been seeing a therapist for cbt for 6 months though and it's only in the past month that I can see changes in my behaviour. I sort of crashed my way through the first half of the year up and down and all over the place, but for now it's a little bit more evened out. Sort of in a way how I can imagine it might feel once medication starts to settle in. Hope it works out for you!

JustJay
09-07-14, 08:22
Thanks Kimberley, It's good to hear you've settled into your cbt and that you're feeling some kind of benefit. I hope my progress continues too, so I can try and obtain some sort of normality again as life just sucks in this vicious circle of anxiety, feeling low, not sleeping, sleeping too late, not eating, and generally feeling like a social dropout. Thanks for the reply. Jay.

Rennie1989
09-07-14, 19:17
I'm so pleased to hear that it's turned out better for you! Let us know how you get on :)

Ruby13
09-07-14, 19:28
Hi Bitternegirl, the second session went amazingly well to be honest. My scepticism which normally takes over reasonable thought was banished in the first 5 minutes of an hour long session which seemed like 10 minutes. I won't say I had the moment of absolute clarity we all seek, but I definitely left feeling a lot more optimistic and having gained some knowledge that will prove invaluable in my recovery, which will happen, sooner or later. From here on in my Monday sessions of CBT will be greeted with open arms and hopefully are as constructive as yesterday's. I know CBT isn't everyone's cup of tea, I wasn't mine, but at this juncture I'm prepared to take any help that's offered, I hope others have a therapist like mine and gain Something from opening their minds.
Cheers. Jay.

Thank you for the updatable, that is so encouraging to read. My first session is tomorrow and I really want to get well and start enjoying life to the full. :yesyes:

JustJay
10-07-14, 10:28
Cheers guys, I'll keep you informed on my progress.

Tessar
12-07-14, 20:44
Jay, you keep at it. As FMP says it is a work in progress. You have to work at it every day. There are good days and bad days. I have been working at some issues for some time now and today I was feeling really good. The best I have felt in ages. Someone said to me how well I look and that even though I am a cheerful person anyway, how happy I seemed. This has come as the result if an awful lot if hard work.
It is so worth it, so you keep at it.
Sometimes challenging habits you formed over the years can be very difficult & it's possible to feel worse than you did before at times. But that is because you are moving into somewhat unknown ground. Often you might feel it is not working. But if you continue to look at facts & really open your mind to alternative ways of thinking and ways of dealing with situations, you can endure what seems impossible and eventually your whole mindset alters for the better.
I will look forward to reading your updates & help u in any way I can.