PDA

View Full Version : Lump at back right-side of neck.

Aftermath
07-07-14, 02:27
Hi, I've been using these forums as a form of safehaven when my anxiety flares up for a good while, though never felt the need to post anything until now.

Earlier on today, I felt a small lump at the back right side of my neck/head (Directly to the right of where the muscle thing ends) and I've been well and truly freaking out over it. It's hard and painless, almost a rubbery feeling to it. I've been having quite a few health scares recently, with a tooth needing to be extracted which has exhausted me, but that's for another time.

Does anyone have any idea what this lump could be? It's more of a raising of the skin, like a blind spot though there is absolutely no pain coming with it. I've been to A&E 2 days ago, and I nearly had to yesterday. I thought had my health anxiety under wraps, but I guess not anymore.

If anyone could give me any advice/help on what it could be. The thought of lymphoma scares me beyond belief. I've also been incredibly tired recently, but I've been struggling to sleep and when I do I sleep for ages, under the aid of painkillers so I'm going to assume that's down to that.

Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Aftermath
07-07-14, 02:54
Thanks I guess. I kinda feel bad, I decided to roam back through this forum and saw a guy post a thread saying to just go to the doctor if you get this problem, so my bad for cluttering it more I guess.

jab1982
07-07-14, 07:09
Hey aftermath!

I suffer from this same type of fear and thought. I am so scared of any lump or bump I find. About a year ago I found a small, pea sized, rubbery bump on the back of my neck. I stopped poking at it (trust me, this takes so much effort). I checked it two weeks later and it was gone. Now let me tell you about the bumps that don't go away. Currently I am focused on two near my ear. They are small and haven't changed since February but I am still convinced it's a tumor which has transferred to a lymphnode. Sounds irrational right? It is. I went to my doctor in February and he told me not to worry. They haven't changed so I must realize that it is a fear.....not cancer.

If you work yourself up so much that it is interfering with your daily life take a trip to the GP and be honest about your fear. Tell him/her that you have health anxiety. But when your doctor tells you it is nothing to worry about, believe him. Don't allow yourself to run to the doctor each time you feel a bump. Instead schedule a checkup every six months and address any new issues at the time of your checkup. You can do this!!! :)

Aftermath
07-07-14, 16:23
Hey Jab!

I actually feel like a bit of an idiot to say the least. In a day the lump seems to have either gotten a considerable amount smaller, or gone completely. I decided to sleep on it, checked it in the morning as I can't help myself and yeah, I can't feel it anymore.

Fishmanpa
07-07-14, 16:31
As has been said, we are just "lumpy" and "bumpy". A node can swell due to anything and 99% of the time, it's not sinister. Something as simple as a mosquito bite in the right place can do it.

Positive thoughts

Aftermath
07-07-14, 16:46
Yeah, definitely I suppose. As much as I know that when I'm in the right frame of mind, if the panic begins to take over all rational thinking I instantly think it's something serious, as most people do I suppose.

Like I said, it's essentially gone today, so I (Like every other time) overreacted horribly.