PDA

View Full Version : I just can't do this (work related)

swgrl09
07-07-14, 17:17
So some of you probably read my thread about starting my new job.

I've decided I just can't do this anymore. I made the decision with my husband to resign. I still have my per diem work at the hospital and they have shifts open all the time to pick up, so I will do that until I can find something else. The stress is just way too much for me and I can't handle it.

So today I went and met with my supervisor to resign. At first she was understanding and said she respected my decision. I gave her two weeks notice and she said "You're supposed to stay a month." I told her that I was never told I had to stay a month and that my employment offer says "at will" and that I can leave whenever I want, with or without notice (Exact words). I have already signed up to work in two weeks at the hospital anyway.

She went on and on after that about how it's not ethical of me to do that and that two weeks is too short of notice. She was talking about how in our field (mental health) you can't just leave your clients in two weeks. I understand her thought, but there is nothing that is stopping me from just walking out the door so two weeks is a courtesy. And she didn't care about ethics of the therapy relationship when she let my coworker go without notice and we had to pick up all the pieces.

She has decided to give me all this work to do over the next two weeks "because it wouldn't be fair to put it on somebody else. It's a lot." Mind you, the paperwork I am doing this week is a lot but she had me do even more than this my FIRST WEEk without training. Why is it not fair to put on somebody else but is fair to put on me?

I'm so frustrated and I just want to not go back at all, but I don't want to burn a bridge. Although it feels like she's made her mind up about me anyway.

Do I stick out the two weeks or do I walk away?

Fishmanpa
07-07-14, 17:28
IMO, You do what you said and complete as much as you can without pressuring yourself.

Positive thoughts

AnxietyDJ
07-07-14, 18:02
Just look at it as if you were an employee that hadn't just resigned... You would do as much of the work as you could, as well as you could, and no more and no less. If that doesn't get it all done by two weeks, well then that's no longer your problem, and will quite rightly leave your boss in the brown stuff for not assigning the work correctly to her remaining staff in the first instance. A period of notice is meant to tie up loose ends, before handing over the role to a new / another staff member, whilst providing them with any training and support required... Not to take on even more work than usual!!

Your boss will be the one regretting her pettiness in the end... Don't get stressed about it. Do what you can each day... Go home... Relax with the thought that you're one day closer to leaving :)

swgrl09
07-07-14, 20:32
Thanks, you both are right. I am just going to do what is expected of me and that is it. I am not going to go above and beyond like I normally would. If she keeps giving me crap, I'll leave.

swgrl09
08-07-14, 13:24
Starting my 9th day left. My supervisor is making me do intakes on clients that won't be mine today, but nobody is calling me back to schedule so not my problem if I can't get it done.

Hope today goes smoothly

Jenwales
08-07-14, 13:56
Two things I have quit because of my anxiety- driving and university. If I hadn't maybe my life would be better or easier now.
Things always seem worse than they are, make sure you are not just quitting because of how your anxiety is making you feel
as running won't help, anxiety follows you unless you learn to accept and ease it

Oosh
08-07-14, 14:12
I think you're doing the right thing. No job is worth high stress levels. It's clearly been making you feel unhappy. Simple "work" to pay the bills is better than being put under strain like that.
Sounds like they're taking advantage of the situation and squeezing every thing they can out of their staff. You won't be the only one to say "enough"!

swgrl09
08-07-14, 20:08
Thanks for your support! Honestly I don't think it's even my anxiety making me quit but overall stress. Other co-workers have told me they are looking for other opportunities as well. If I didn't have my hospital job as back up I wouldn't have left so soon, but I have to put myself first.

My supervisor is being really passive aggressive now. She emails me from across the hall instead of talking and doesn't say hi in passing. I was given an online survey to fill out on why I am leaving and I was honest.

She is really going crazy and out of her way to give me more work this week and next week. I'm just focusing on getting through each day until I'm done. I'm just to do What I have to and leave.

Oosh
08-07-14, 22:04
God she sounds like a right terror. She's just confirming your decision to leave is the right one.

Work in slow motion. Literally take 30 seconds to reach for your pen. Then turn to her and take a full minute to slowly wave at her. She'll love it. By the sounds of it she needs a laugh working there.

Fishmanpa
08-07-14, 22:10
You've done what any "professional" would have done under the same circumstances. Ignore your boss, do only what you can do without stressing yourself out and leave when you said you would.

Positive thoughts

swgrl09
08-07-14, 23:40
I'm doing exactly that, Fishmanpa. And Oosh, you are so right. This is just confirming that I made the right decision. I love your suggestion, ahaha! Today was one heck of a day with her. I'm just going to do what I have to do and stick to myself.

swgrl09
09-07-14, 15:08
My supervisor has come in and out of my office three times this morning and has not said a word to me. She is ridiculous. She expects me to do all this work and is totally childish.

Fishmanpa
09-07-14, 15:38
Question: What would happen if you walked into your supervisors office and said something like:

"(Her name), I sat down with you and gave you my resignation, reasons and notice in a professional manner. Two weeks is common practice and courtesy in all work situations. I plan on being here for my two weeks and doing my job to the best of my ability. That being said, I suggest you return my professionalism and courtesy in the same manner. If you're behaving this way in order to get me to leave sooner, it's better just to ask me. I'd be glad to accommodate your request. Thank you!"

The bottom line is, two weeks or not, if this woman is going to make you life miserable intentionally, there's no reason to stay. That actually may be her intention anyway.

Positive thoughts

swgrl09
09-07-14, 17:33
That actually sounds really good and professional. I do think she is trying to get to me.

AnxietyDJ
09-07-14, 19:58
You have all the power here - remember that! As long as you are not relying on this lady to provide a reference for you, then just walk out if she continues to harass you and make life awkward. As I said before, she'll be the one left in the lurch if she keeps piling work on somebody who is about to move on!

Good luck :)

swgrl09
09-07-14, 20:47
You are so right. The only thing that is keeping me here right now is that I like the coworkers and know how stressed they are. I don't want to make things worse for them. So I am going to just go through the motions, do exactly what I am supposed to do, and that's it. I know for sure if I get through this week, next week won't be as big of a deal if I can't take it and walk out because a lot of my work should be done by then (besides transitioning people). That's as long as she doesn't give me something else ...