PDA

View Full Version : Can you cough up blood with GERD?

BlueWaterGirl
09-07-14, 08:21
Hi, I'm new here, I found these forums thanks to Google. I have been dealing with health issues since December and it's starting to really weigh on my mind and scare me. I didn't have health insurance until June, so that's when I could finally go to a doctor.

I woke up one morning back in December with blood in my mouth, it freaked me out beyond belief. I felt fine the days leading up to it and even the night before, but ever since that day with the blood, I felt horrible. Fast forward to June, I couldn't believe I made it that far. I went to the doctor and I told him about the trouble swallowing, the hoarseness in my voice, the acid feeling, I even told him about the blood sometimes when I cough (which I hardly cough due to me being scared) or even sometimes when I don't cough, and the occasional chest pains. He said right away that it sounds like GERD, but he didn't sound worried at all about the blood, all he asked was if it is a lot, which I replied that it's usually just specks.

He took some blood, prescribed me with liquid Zantac, and told me to come back in two weeks. I went back yesterday and he asked if I was feeling better, which I told him I was and that I seem to have gained my energy back. He then asked if I become depressed during the winter and if I thought that was the reason I had no energy until now. Not sure what that had to do with anything, I'm rarely depressed and it never zaps my energy like this did. He sent in a referral to a surgeon and wants me to go have a upper GI done at some point soon to make sure the Zantac is not just masking symptoms.

I don't mind everything else, I've lived with acid reflux for years, what scares me is the blood. Like an hour ago I was eating something with a lot of salt on it, made me cough, looked at what I was eating and it looked kind of pink on the edge of it, like blood, but maybe it wasn't pink and it was my mind playing tricks on me, but it threw me into a panic attack and I am just now kind of coming down from it. I just coughed a minute ago due to feeling like something was in my throat and there wasn't any blood. It's like when I cough, I have to do it because of my throat, nothing ever feels to be shaking from my chest.

The doctor asked me if I'm having anxiety from this and I kind of laughed and said only when I see specks of blood, which is true, everything is fine until I see blood. I think all kinds of crazy things, like cancer or something. I'm only 26, I shouldn't feel like this... :(

So for those of you that have been diagnosed with GERD, have you ever coughed up blood? I would imagine it could be a possibility if the esophagus was irritated enough, but it still worries me to no end. What makes it worse is that the doctor wasn't even concerned.

paul786
09-07-14, 08:59
It was also with me when i vomt blood with pink mass two tame 2 month later. After endoscopy dr said its nothing. But now i have a new throat ishu.

BlueWaterGirl
11-07-14, 10:46
I hope you start feeling better also. What is your new throat issue?

1diamond_owl
18-07-14, 22:48
:)Hi,
I am a new member looking for answers with exactly the same issues as yours. Basically told my gp all my symptoms especially the blood in my spit which usually occurs in the morning. She didn't make a big fuss out of it. I was given Omeprazole 20 mg for 90 days. Believe me, I don't feel like eating anymore and I always sleep almost sitting down at night for fear that the acid would come back and burn my throat. I am always nauseatic and feels this metallic taste in my mouth.
I also constantly burp even I hadn't taken anything.
Our body has it's own healing mechanisms. Let the healing comes from within. Let's think positive.
Be well. Take care.

paul786
19-07-14, 07:39
I have sore throat and burning pain in anaround ear and one side lower jaw.

---------- Post added at 12:09 ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 ----------

Its from 3 month now.