PDA

View Full Version : Propanalol/sertraline and sleep issues

hellobethy
10-07-14, 12:18
Hi,

I've been on Propanalol and Sertraline for 7 years now (I am a 23 year old female), and have had issues with sleep in the fact I am constantly tired and sleeping. I am on 40mg 1-3 times a day of propanalol and 100mg of sertraline daily. I struggle to concentrate and sleep for long periods of time. This is a massive issue for me as I am a student and have recently failed one of my exams due to lack of concentration. I am gutted and anxiety is sky high currently.

Just wondering if anybody else struggles with chronic fatigue on this tablets?

Thanks,

Beth

A Nervous Nigel
10-07-14, 17:16
Hi Beth,

I'm 23 too, I was on Sertraline for a few months but stopped because I could only ever sleep for short periods of time (5 hours)! Then I would be awake all day feeling really tired.. So I stopped and was put on the Propranolol (only last week 40mg 3 times per day) for my anxiety.. and it kind of helps.. but not everyday.. I had a few days of placebo I think! I don't want to try any other antidepressants but that's all my doctor will recommended! So I'm stuck in a bit of a rut tbh!

I know how you feel about the concentration too! I did very poorly in one of my exams! Just passed by one mark! Even assignments I struggle because I can't focus on them for long periods of time!

You've been on sertraline for a long time.. have you tried other SSRI's? I have been on three and want my doctor to prescribe me Pregabalin, heard a few good things about it.. SICK OF ANXIETY!

Luke

Svojski85
13-07-14, 13:55
Hi Beth. I'm 29 now and I was on Sertraline for 2 years most recently, and also for at least 5 years when I was in my teenage... Best decision I could make in my life was to discontinue this brain poison... Did not help me with anything, did not get rid of anxiety, as depression was in my case only a consequence of being anxious around other people whom I unnaturally feared for certain particular early childhood experiences.... Only when I turned 27, I had tried the 24-hour propranolol version called INDERAL LA, and guess what happened after 10 years of struggling with anxieties... Gone!!! Depression? Gone!!! Happy chap? Yes!!!

So, I was cured, since I did not feel any adverse symptoms as with most (if not all) antidepressants, e.g. tiredness, concentration problems, inability to think clear.... Well, but that is exactly what each antidepressant does... It kills your concentration, so I don't get why you are still taking it when you are studying and actually doing something positive which will help you kill your past and move on properly?

When I was studying, I discontinued (but slowly since you can get vomitting lasting for 3 days or so if you do it rapidly) my setraline and I did not regret having done that to date. Nonetheless, it is a difficult decision to make since the therapeutic effect of each antidepressant is literally to blur your cognitive (perception) ability, so you didn't need to go back to whatever trauma/bad experience you went through...

If I could recommend anything (which I have not heard doctors recommending much), it would be regular sauna, regular exercise, intelligent nutrition, and definitely enough sunlight, i.e. at least 30min a day on direct sunlight... Worked for 2000 years? Yes, it did. Only in the 21st century are people under so much stress since everybody expects this and that constantly. No time to unwind...

I would also consider applying for exam deferral if you are either planning to discontinue your antidepressant or if you perhaps fall ill during your exam period. You could have gone through a panic attack, through a nerve breakdown, and that sort of thing, provided you can show evidence that you are medicated for years since it would make sense to pardon you. There is also legislation in place for these situations called the Equality Act 2010, which you can read in your spare time, which gives protection to disabled people who are physically or mentally impaired, including concentration problems which either exist or which would return if person was not medicated, which then gives you a number of rights.

Good luck. Hope you it all works out well for you! :)

Svojski85
13-07-14, 18:40
Just in a short amendment to my previous post, you should note Beth that I was speaking from my own personal experience and therefore from my own unique perspective. Everybody is different, has different past and different needs, so your case might be diametrically different to my case. Also, you should not be seeking advice on forums since, legally speaking, only a doctor can deal with your problems here in the UK and not anyone else, so you should not be finding any inspiration in my personal experience. That is all for my quick legal disclaimer :)