PDA

View Full Version : withdrawal from Sertraline 14 months

divalee
10-07-14, 18:11
I have been on Sertraline for 8 years. Together with my GP we decided I should go off it. Sertraline here in Canada only comes in 25, 50 and 100 mgs...so I had to taper 25 mgs at a shot, but stayed on that amount for four months...each drop was 25 mgs. I started my taper December 3m 2011 and completed it on May 17, 2013...during my taper I had these side effects....headache, dizziness, nausea, indigestion, pain legs, groin and sciatica....but almost at the end of the taper, all these symptoms went away except for the headaches and dizziness.

Off Sertraline completely I developed new symptoms together with the dizziness and headaches which are: Head pressure, bridge of nose pressure, pins and needles in face, mouth and lips...visual disturbances, and a feeling of ....not being here...these were mild at first...but by the 7th month off these side effects got worse...and starting the 11th month until now the 14th month, they are unbearable with horrific anxiety attacks...

It is so weird because coming off I had side effects but they were tolerable and then off...tolerable too until the 7th month off and all hell broke loose..Has anyone gone through this protracted or discontinuation syndrome. I was told that these are definitely withdrawal symptoms that I am still going through....has anyone else had this.

Thank you
Lee (f)

nomorepanic
10-07-14, 18:35
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

teej
15-07-14, 08:31
Hi Lee,

I came off Sertraline (I was put on it in October 2013) over a month ago and am still having what I believe are side effects - anxiety and depression at a level I have never seen before and the night sweats to name a few.

I was put back on Sertraline after I suffered a massive relapse in 2013, 5 years after I had last taken it in 2008. I believe the relapse was also trigger by the discontinuation syndrome.

Good luck in finding a medical professional who will believe you though. I'm seeing my GP this afternoon but not really hoping for much. She is very sceptical of me.

It's worth noting the following in this wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSRI_discontinuation_syndrome#Persistent_adverse_e ffects

Sorry I have no solution for you but there are others out there in the same boat. Good luck.

hopey
30-08-14, 14:16
Hi Divalee re coming off sertraline. I have now been off sertraline for seven weeks. Am feeling really terrible and fear is awful. I wake up so early in the morning and by the time I get up am almost a nervous wreck. I never imagined I could ever be like this, I thought I was strong!!!!
My vision is awful nose and ears strange headaches and very sore at the top of my head.. Really feel at the end of my tether. Do not feel able to talk to my daughters any more. Can understand how they feel on no not again mum !!!!!.
An y advice would be extremely good. thank you all for your letters I read them all . No too good at writing myself. Thanks anyway. hopey.