PDA

View Full Version : Does going to a therapist help with generalized anxiety disorder?

whiterose
11-07-14, 13:12
Hi I was diagnosed with general anxiety disorder 2 years ago. I get panic attacks every once in a while and have anxiety. Has anyone had success going to a therapist for treatment of anxiety? I am going to start treatment tomorrow with a therapist.

AnxietyDJ
11-07-14, 14:54
Hey there, welcome to the forum!

As with any treatments, different people will have differing results, so I am sure there are members of the site with both positive and negative experiences. The most important thing is to focus on yourself within the sessions, to ensure that you are doing everything you can to get the most out of them.

Good luck - I hope they go well :)

SarahH
12-07-14, 11:26
yes:D

Rennie1989
12-07-14, 15:35
I had counselling for panic attacks Cognitive-Behavioural therapy for anxiety, both of which have worked absolute wonders. As somebody who is training to become a counsellor my advice is to go with which ever therapy you and they think will work best, as people have different causes and triggers.

Carnation
12-07-14, 23:35
The answer on this from me , is YES! A Therapist will have the experience, time and understanding. She/he can evaluate the person pretty quickly. The only thing is, you have to trust your Therapist and feel at ease from both sides. If you don't have the connection, it won't work. You will know immediately, if this is the case.
I have been seeing a Therapist for 3 months, and I wouldn't have got this far with out her. They listen, give you tips for coping, and never judge you in a bad way. :)