PDA

View Full Version : prescribed pregabalin.. shocked!!

A Nervous Nigel
11-07-14, 19:13
Medication history
Like many other people with anxiety I have tried the SSRI lottery.. Where the doctor picks one of them out of a hat and asks you to give it a go for a couple of months! Most of them made me worse. I tried:
Citalopram
Fluoxtine
Sertraline

Then last week I said enough is enough no more SSRI's!! I was given Propranolol 40mg x 3 daily. I think they help slight.. With my shaky hands and I thought they helped my tricotillmania (hair pulling) until last night I destroyed my beard !

Anyways the other day I had read lots of things about pregabalin .. Most good, some bad.. I rang up and some different doctor spoke to me and basically said no no no no you can't try that, I will try you on another SSRI. I said thanks for your time but no I won't.

So today I booked a appointment with a different doctor.. Told him my history.. And said I want to try something different but wanted his advice.. He asked me if I had anything in mind? I handed him a peice of paper with all the medicines I had tried and the reasons i didnt like each of them.. Then i wrote down the name of pregabalin at the bottom with a question mark.

He replied well I wouldn't recommended any other SSRI since I'd already got the t shirt for most of them, but he had never prescribed pregabalin for anxiety. I mentioned it was on the NHS website so he got out a couple of his books and said yep your right, its in here! He agreed to try it and booked me in for another appointment with him in 2 weeks. Think he started me on a low dose for first few weeks as we both new to this.

I thought he was the best doctor I have seen, because of the way he spoke to me and did not just dismiss me because he hadn't heard of it before! Plus he ran me through what to expect like side effects, which my normal GP doesn't! Very easy to talk to, sometimes it can be nerve racking speaking to these random strangers about your problems! But I find it easier than talking to friends and family!

So I am on 50mg 3x daily (150mg)
Anybody else had this with propranolol?
Or had bad/good experiences with GP'S when asking to try new meds?

Only had first dose and not feeling dizzy which was my main concern! Going to a anniversary party tonight, so I will report back on how I handled it!

hanshan
12-07-14, 06:04
Hello Nigel,

I haven't tried it with propranolol, but they have different modes of action, so may work well together. Propranolol is fairly short acting, so can be taken on an as-needed basis.

I never cease to be amazed by doctors who are seemingly unaware that pregabalin is licensed for anxiety, and have to look it up in a book - like, it's only been licensed for GAD for about eight years now. How long does it take for it to drift into their consciousness?

Anyway, you have found someone willing to prescribe it, so I hope all goes well. 150 mg per day is a low dose, but some people respond at that level. You can go up to 600 mg per day, but if nothing is happening around the 400 mg per day mark, it may not be for you. Any early dizziness / sleepiness usually wears off quickly, but it can continue to affect coordination for a while. Good luck!

SarahH
12-07-14, 11:06
:DHanshin has said it all... he's good mind:D
There are some very odd SE's w8th pregabalin...like feeling drunk... which I found quite amusing as I felt totally chilled out. After a couple of weeks the SE's wear off and then you can up the dose IF you need to some people find 200mgs a day is enough... others need the full wack.

Good luck

Sarah

PS my GP is brilliant. I often research drugs and go in with a plan and she knows that I know my mind and body and I am capable of investigating drugs. She has been practicing for 30 years but accepts that some people have more knowledge about drugs than she does.

A Nervous Nigel
12-07-14, 14:53
Thanks for the replies Hanshan and Sarah,

Wouldn't it be good if GP's had like an amazon rating system online :P
I've only ever had 2 which I didn't like their attitude though, when I first went in for depression I was so scared! She wouldn't give me anything for it, just said I can go on some long waiting list for therapy.. but I was moving out the area in 5 weeks!! So I had to wait the 5 weeks plus go to a new doctor and get antidepressants which take ageess to work!

Anyways an up date on last night! It was GREAT maybe just a placebo effect.. but normally when I go out, I BINGE drink until I feel confident (normally end up making a fool of myself). Not tonight, before I even had a drink I spoke to 3 or 4 people I hadn't see in years.. like full conversations! Then I only drank 1 bottle of beer and 3 pints over the whole evening! Which is LOW for me! I just didn't feel the need for anymore!

Then this morning.. no hangover or grogginess.. see a letter through the door and it's for a job interview! I would normally be scared for something like this.. but I really feel like I may be a bit more equip to handle it! After all I am soooo SKINT and need the money bady.. but work has always been where I feel most anxious! I missed a lot of uni last year because of it and sometimes I would leave half way through the day because it got so bad!

Things looking up.. going to stay optimistic about my new meds.. even though it is early days.. plus I start therapy in two weeks.. all little steps closer to living a normal life!

hanshan
13-07-14, 05:42
Hello Nigel,

Sounds good. There are several situations where I used to be able to count on anxiety rising up at some point or other that just don't do that any more. This often involved talking with people in some form or other.

People who start pregabalin sometimes get a "transient euphoria" effect, which doesn't last more than a day or two. I think it's more likely to be a wave of relief as anxiety levels go down.

Good luck with the job hunting and uni.

A Nervous Nigel
14-07-14, 19:58
Day 4

I have had little side effects.. But today I was anxious, not about anything in particular, or important..

I went to the barbers and usually I sit there all quite.. But I was fairly chatty, and even started the conversation myself.. Yet when I got home, I did my usual thing of cringing about what I've said.. Which is silly because the barber probably didn't think that..

Overall still best anti anxiety meds I have tried so far.. Still early say though! That 'euphoria' and drunkness left after second day.. And I only take 1.5 of my propranolol tablets each day which comes to 60mg.. Tomorrow just going to do 20-40mg .. Rather not take too many of them.. Keep them for interviews.. Meeting new people.. Presentations.

One thing I would say about pregabalin is.. I sometimes find it hard to find the word I'm thinking of in the middle of a conversation, but it doesn't bother me too much ATM!

SarahH
15-07-14, 09:33
That all sounds like the pregabalin is working... well done. And yes struggling to find words is a side effect.
#sarah

hanshan
16-07-14, 09:05
Hello Nigel,

Still sounding good, and you can always increase the dose if necessary. I find pregabalin doesn't stop all anxiety, but then everyone feels anxiety from time to time. For me, it keeps the anxiety within normal levels.

Hopefully the difficulty with thinking of words will get better, but it is a commonly reported side effect (at least on NMP).

A Nervous Nigel
16-07-14, 16:37
Interview Day

Just got back from my job interview.. I was so relaxed and calm about it!
I took my 50mg Pregabalin about 3 hours before interview and then 40mg propranolol an hour before.. Just in case I got the shakes and to keep breathing and heart normal!
I only had the SLIGHTEST of nervous! Probably less than your average Joe.. But I did prepare answers for possible questions, so that probably helped too! If you told me this time last week , I would rock an interview like I did, no way would I believe it!

I don't even care if I'm unsuccessful because the experience itself was worth it, such a confidence boast!

And the forgetting words, didn't come in to play surprisingly.. But thanks peeps, glad to hear its common!

Do any of you experience low mood around about the time your due your next dose?

Nigel

SarahH
16-07-14, 16:58
The low mood could be because it has a short half life and so as it wear off your anxiety kicks in and gives you the low mood..IMHO.
You can separate the doses into 3 a day. They come in 50mgs capsules. At the moment I am taking 3x100mgs a day with 20mgs of Citalopram and the balance for me is good. But we are all different so you may need to get your own "balance"

Well done with the interview:)

sarah

A Nervous Nigel
16-07-14, 17:26
Thanks Sarah,
Ahh that explains the low mood then, its good that it goes after my next dose though..
I'm currently on 50mg x 3 times per day.. I see that they come in 75mg caps too, maybe they would be better? That little bit extra might just prevent my noticeable dip in mood? I don't know but I will ask doc next Tuesday on my review..

[B] Update [B] just got a call and I have the job!! Finally some income!!!

Chuffed! Let's hope this isn't just a honeymoon stage of pregabalin! Or if it is, let's hope I can at least get myself in to a routine before it ends!

john61
16-07-14, 18:29
Hello nigel,how you doin? I also take pregabalin(300mgs per day)and I agree with sarah about taking it in split doses thru out the day,definitly works best that way for me.I've been on it for nearly 2yrs now and its the only medication that's helped with my GAD.I also had the word thing with it at first but it does pass.hope it works for you

A Nervous Nigel
17-07-14, 00:30
How john, I'm good thanks yourself?

Have you always been 300mg per day? I have read some people needed to keep uping the doseage? I tend to have 50mg after breakfast, 50mg mid afternoon and 50mg about 8pm. However I don't have a good daily routine so these can end up being different times! But would like to increase my morning dose and evening dose.. Still get a bit irritable, tense and ratty at times..

But got nearly another week yet before I see doctor.. So we'll see!

hanshan
17-07-14, 13:22
My experience is that I did need to increase the dosage at first, but it quickly levels out - it's not something where people keep taking more and more (there have been no comments of that nature on NMP that I have seen). Although some people may need a slightly higher dose, the published studies indicate that benefits level off after around 400 mg per day (these are average figures, so some people may be less, others more).

So glad to hear that the interview went fine. I've only had one job interview since taking pregabalin, and that was in the early days, but I can remember job interviews before that. My throat would go completely dry, so that I found it hard to speak. Now, I think I would be okay.

john61
17-07-14, 18:34
How john, I'm good thanks yourself?

Have you always been 300mg per day? I have read some people needed to keep uping the doseage? I tend to have 50mg after breakfast, 50mg mid afternoon and 50mg about 8pm. However I don't have a good daily routine so these can end up being different times! But would like to increase my morning dose and evening dose.. Still get a bit irritable, tense and ratty at times..

But got nearly another week yet before I see doctor.. So we'll see!

Hello I'm good today thanks
I've been on pregabalin now for nearly 2 yrs.I started out on 25mgs per day for the 1st week then 100 for a week then 150 for a week then 300.I find it to be still effective in keeping my anxiety at bay.the slight euphoria that I got at the begging seems to have gone but with a antidepressant it still works well.it helped me get my life back and enabled me to create a routine.I take 100mgs@ 8am,100mgs@ 3pm and 100mgs@9pm.make sure you don't run out,I did once and it wasn't a nice experience

---------- Post added at 18:34 ---------- Previous post was at 18:08 ----------

I forgot to say.congrats on the job the front,I hope it helps.I was on sick for 2yrs and went back in feb of this year(part time) and its definitly helped me.good luck

A Nervous Nigel
22-07-14, 11:00
Thanks John,

Well its been about 10 days,

Went to doctor and I'm now on 300mg per day. He did want me to split that in to 3 over the day.. But I decided I want my dosage split in to two, just because I hate having to remember the afternoon one.. He did mention people split it in to 2-3 doses.. Is this okay?

Must say just had the 150mg dose an hour ago and feeling rather laid back and chilled. Will have the other 150mg around 7-8pm!

I was having trouble with anxiety in the morning and afternoon, so felt the larger morning dose would help!

What yous think?

hanshan
22-07-14, 12:58
Pregabalin has a short half-life, so particularly when changing dosages you can get a roller coaster effect. Taking the dose three times a day can help even things out a bit then.

Once you have been on a steady dose for a week or so, in my experience twice a day is fine. In fact, I take all my dose once a day in the evening just before bed, as I have a natural positive mood increase during the day anyway. That way, I have the maximum pregabalin working for me early in the morning when my mood is likely to be lowest.

Good luck with it - it seems to be working for you. For me, the best point is when I'm not really noticing anything - I don't feel medicated, but the (abnormal) anxiety is gone.

john61
23-07-14, 15:27
3 times would be more even I think,but try it twice and see how you get on would be my view on it
I used to take my 300mgs in two doses but found it made me too sleepy
Everyones different tho.good to hear its working for you.
My psychiatric nurse calls it a "clean" drug.I've also found since been on it that I no longer get migraines and no dull ache down the back of my leg from my sciatica that I used to have plus the reduction in anxiety.3 birds one stone!

A Nervous Nigel
25-07-14, 23:09
I like using this forum as a bit of a diary..

In fact , its made me realise the use of keeping a journal of how you feel.. So I think I will buy a paper one! Tbh I seem to live in the present, so if I go to the doctors while my mood is good, I won't complain and vice versa.

John and hansan,
I took your advice and decided not to take two doses daily.. I opted for the three.. 100mg at 9am, 100mg at 3pm and 100mg at 9pm.

Its been doing the job! I get a bit spaced out and tired at times but I don't mind! Mainly because my anxiety levels are minimal! Instead of dwelling over thoughts, I can now easily dismiss them, so they don't become repetitive!

I am one for being a moody £#*! with family or even with myself at times.. That has reduced significantly.. Instead of multiple moodswings per day.. I now only get annoyed once a day then realise what I'm being like!

I know it hasn't been long since my increase.. I really hope this last though! It is encouraging to hear John you have been getting positive effects long term!

I still take 40mg of propranolol for work and that, which I think helps and goes well with the pregabalin, and would recommended that to others in similar situation as me, keeps you physically calm even if your mentally unstable lol.

Got to get my repeat prescription sometime next week to make sure I don't run out!!

p.s I can't tell if I feel cosy/relaxed.. Or of this is just what normal is.. I'm used to having this constant tense feeling, or the sensation of stress and adrenalin running through my body .. If that makes sense!!!

p.p.s work has been going great!

hanshan
31-07-14, 04:52
Hi Nigel,

I think it's just normal - except if you have GAD. I spent years when I always had some level of tension / anxiety going, some times more than others, but always in the background. That's mostly gone now, thank heavens. Pregabalin doesn't stop all anxiety, but then ordinary people also get anxious about things from time to time.

A Nervous Nigel
20-08-14, 18:06
Hey everyone, I thought I should give an update since I havent posted one in some time!

I have been on 300mg per day for around 1 month now, 150mg at 10am and 150mg at 10pm.
I bought a journal around the time I started this doseage so I have managed to review how things have gotten on.

Firstly I would say Pregablin does NOT work straight away.. The feelings I got in the first 3-7 days were pretty euphoric, prehaps drunk like feeling, sedated and relaxed.. all great yes, and a bit of instant releif! However these are just inital effects and you probably shouldn't get them confused with how pregabalin will make you feel in the long run! I also felt a bit dumbed down and some brain fog, slept a little more than I should and had a few extra naps!! :P

After that first week, I pretty much just felt the brain fog (as it gets described).. I was also slighly irritable and snappy.. had a few temper tantrums.. but over the next 2 weeks or so this wore off. I also take Propranolol and until this time last week I was just taking 1 x 40mg per day.. but I was still a little irritable so I decided to take 2-3 x 40mg per day.. and this actually killed off the rest of my irritability.

Now.. what positive effects has Pregablin (and with the help of some Propranolol) had on my life?
1) No repetitive thoughts!
2) I pull less of my hair out (around 85% less hair pulling)
3) Instead of worrying about something over and over and over and over.. I can easily dismiss the thought and not dwell too much.
4) A better overall mood and wellbeing.
5) No more arguments with the family
6) I have a sleeping pattern bed at 12pm up at 8:30am!

Negative effects:
1) Lower sex drive (and not just because i'm having a dry spell haha) and longer to reach orgasm.
2) erm... OH!! Yeah be careful with alcohol! I went on a night out and on pregabalin 5 drinks = 12 drinks! I got brought home by the police because I was too drunk to even get my money out my pockets and couldnt put two words together, never mind string a sentence together! BUT having said that my drinking has gone from 3-4 days per week to just 1 day per week! Feel really good about that actually!

I did have a bad day at the weekend though..but I suppose everyone has their bad days.. at the time it felt like a REALLY bad day, but now today I think I was just being a bit silly!

So anyways, so far so good with the Pregabalin and if your just starting treatment hang in there! The Lower IQ/Brain fog, tiredness, increased thirst passes! I still get the munchies now and again though, so keep an eye on that! :)

SarahH
21-08-14, 12:47
Well done ...great update:)

hanshan
25-08-14, 05:30
Hello Nigel,

I can agree with pretty much all of that. I hope that the positives outweigh the negatives and that pregabalin can help you overall.

I think you can combine some alcohol with pregabalin, once you know how they interact. However, you should also have some mates informed that you are taking medication, just in case.

Also, I'm a strong believer that people shouldn't drink and drive at any level. Plan on getting a taxi home, or use public transport, or have a designated non-drinking driving friend. If none of those options are workable, reschedule for somewhere closer to home.

teej
26-08-14, 11:25
I would love to have another try with this medication. I just need to find a time when I am not in so much demand at work!

Great update though. :yesyes: