PDA

View Full Version : citalopram and alcohol

Dizzydoll
12-07-14, 12:24
hi im sure this has been posted before, ive been on 20mg citalopram for 2 yrs and not drank at all whilst on it, the last couple of week my doc has lowered my dose to 10mg, it is a friends 30th birthday night out tonight and i really dont want t be the only sober one, what are the effects of alcohol and cit?

Jubnut
12-07-14, 13:16
Hi dizzydoll, from my experience alcohol and cit don't cause any problems if you take it easy.

Couple of times i drank with my mates so furiously that it seemed that i lost all judgement (could happen without cit too). Thank god i didnt do anything stupid, but i felt a bit weird that caused me to slow down a bit. Never happened off cit.

So drink, but dont go overboard and youll be fine. And off course remember to have fun :)

Also, just listen to your body, when feeling bad then slow down and drink some water. Though hangover causes anxiety so know what is coming.

Dizzydoll
12-07-14, 13:53
thankyou :) im kinda getting anxious thinking something bad might happen x

Jubnut
12-07-14, 14:02
This is kind of timely to me as well since im going to my friend stag night today ;)

Been on cit (this round) 5 weeks now.

A Nervous Nigel
12-07-14, 15:00
I used to be on citalopram,

As long as you don't go too silly you should be fine!
I was a bit of a binge drinker and when I drank FAR too much on them, the next day I suffered from loads of anxiety! But this was off very long drinking sessions.. where I would blackout I drank so much.. very irresponsible of me!

But when I just stuck to 4-6 drinks over the night, I would be fine :)
My mother is also on this and she has just went out the door this minute to have a drink for a works do! She is always fine!

Enjoy your night!!! 2 years without a drink you deserve one :P

Dizzydoll
12-07-14, 15:12
Haha thankyou all yep 2yrs I think ive done well lol

Laura1989
13-07-14, 20:03
Hi guys, I went out last night and had a few drinks (am on day 13 of cit for the 2nd time). I didn't go mad, just had around 5 glasses of cocktails... No where near a 'binge' and I wasn't drunk or particularly tipsy to be honest

Today I've been reasonably fine, a little jittery but not necessarily anxious. Last night I had a little panic attack before going to bed (going to bed/sleep is my trigger at the moment) but I was able to talk to myself and make my mind realise it was just the alcohol, I was absolutely fine.

I would say it depends on your personal reaction as to whether you drink or not on cit. Me? I would be prepared to ride out the jitters the day after for the same of 2 or 3 social drinks. Not everyone will feel the same though :)

EDIT: By the way, I'm on 10mg :)

gashmachine
16-07-14, 02:02
I want to go out drinking this weekend for the first time since being on citalopram. its been 9 months, so i'm super nervous! let us know how you get on dizzydoll! hopefully you wont have any problems ;)

Chaos Water
16-07-14, 09:30
Wow 2 years! You certainly deserve a drink after all that time :). It's only been about a month for me and I've had the temptation to drink every weekend, but I know I can't because as soon as I have 1 it starts my panic attacks :weep:.

LiziJenks
16-07-14, 20:31
Hi Guys,

I have found I have a major problem the day after drinking and I am on 20mg of citalopram. My advice would be to drink sensibly and know when to stop. If I go crazy the next day is awful for me and my panic attacks don't stop, but if I take things steady I am okay! xx

Marty_67
17-07-14, 12:59
With Lizi on this one.

I'm usually a very sensible drinker because I drive a lot but I do like to let my hair down occassionally. Have suffered with anxiety the next day after (fairly heavy) drinking, strangely enough I never connected the two until I read this.