PDA

View Full Version : Constantly dizzy, especially when standing still!

Cheekychap
14-07-14, 00:39
It has been brushed off as anxiety, for absolutely ages now. However no longer feeling anxious and instead being very dizzy when in the heat or exercising I believe it is more than anxiety.

It causes a sense of being lightheaded to the point I have to sit down, also it is amplified when standing still. I have to lean on something or sit down.

When lying down at home, I feel almost fine.

When walking around however I feel very lightheaded and a sense of weakness? Potentially worst case scenario resulting in collapsing?

It's holding me back when wanting to go out in the heat and bodybuilding.

Any ideas what it might be? I thought maybe pots?

Doctors aren't worried though and tell me to carry on exercising, having never fainted.

Rls1994
14-07-14, 02:33
Hi! I have exactly the same symptoms! My blood pressure is constantly low so I feel dizzy/faint a LOT. Also, people constantly ask me if I'm ill because I'm pale all the time. Just wondering if you've had your blood pressure checked?

Cheekychap
14-07-14, 02:44
I've had my blood pressure checked yes, weird though as I also get pale. Blood pressure is fine though, but doctors aren't too alarmed. Thanks though and I wish you a recovery soon enough!

Jen1989
16-07-14, 01:27
Hi there :)

I have this exact same symptom that I had been told many different things was causing it. After numerous tests it was put down to anxiety. Like you, at first I struggled to believe this and was convinced something else was wrong. But I've found that the more I accept whats causing it, the less it happens. Have you ever done an activity where your mind is completely focused on something and then later on notice that you weren't dizzy? This is what helped me accept my issue was anxiety. I would go to my dance class and would be driving home afterwards and think "oh, my dizzyness stopped there" then of course it would return when I started thinking about it lol. Our minds are very powerful and can cause so many physical symptoms. I also remember someone telling me (without going into too much detail) if you think about what your body does when your mind is aroused, it can help you see how powerful it can be and the sort if effect it can have on you physically. As much as you say you no longer feel anxious, your probably anxious about feeling dizzy which then feeds it and keeps the symptom from disappearing.

Tips on what has helped me is to stay busy, having too much time to sit and think about it makes it 10x worse.

Concentrate on your breathing (breathe in for 4, hold for 7, exhale for 8) I know everyone says this but it realy does help.

When walking and feeling faint, concentrate on one object straight infront of you.

And exercise! This helps me massively! I need to run 3-4 times a week to function.

Hope this has helped slightly and hope you feel better :) xXx

MM
16-07-14, 01:52
This is actually happening to me right now. I've been dizzy while standing or in the heat, so much so that I almost pass out. This has been happening for over 6 years. My blood pressure is usually around 95/60 so it's not considered low, yet. My doctors have told me it's anxiety but when I stand my legs get bluish purple! Anyway, I have a doctors appointment on Friday for my stomach problems and for this, pm me and I'll let you know how it goes!

Also, it never goes away even while distracting myself. I also look very pale during the worst times, and I have fainted before.

(I'm on mobile so sorry for any mistakes in post)

Carnation
16-07-14, 01:56
Great tips Jen1989. Totally agree. Had this for ages, gone completely now. Thank God. It is caused by shallow breathing when we get uptight and anxious. That's why we go pale. Makes sense doesn't it. Breathing exercises help this a lot. Also walking around with your shoulders hunched up doesn't help. Was doing this a lot from being anxious all the time. Seems so simple, but it is.

Cheekychap
17-07-14, 01:18
You have all been great help and some really good tips there! Yes, I need to concentrate on my breathing as I guess that could be causing the weakness in my legs & such like. I have to agree with you as well when not thinking about it not feeding it as such, driving I feel fine. I think it is the fear of fainting from any exertion I have? So when I play football which I used to play alot of a fear of fainting comes on and I feel lightheaded. If I continue it often subsides! Such as in the heat, I get really irritated and lightheaded. I believe I am just fueling it too much. Pots and a blood pressure issue has been ruled out now by the GP so I think I need to accept it is anxiety or a stress type reaction. Many thanks and I wish you all a speedy recovery!

---------- Post added at 00:18 ---------- Previous post was at 00:17 ----------

Oh and Jen1989, as I said all great tips and the exercise is paramount it's just the symptoms often come on prior to the exercise and sometimes it may hold me back a little...

Cheekychap
19-07-14, 19:52
Any further advice or personal stories on continuing to excersie despite anxiety symptoms being present?

Jen1989
20-07-14, 16:46
I totally get what you mean about being scared of the exercise..... It took me a while before I could believe in myself that I was safe. My dizziness/lightheadedness was always worse out shopping etc especially in supermarkets with bright lights or places with lots of people around. What helped me with this is that I have a treadmill at home (in my safe place) so I started running on that instead of outside. The first few weeks were hard but as someone told me after 21 days it becomes a habit and you start to forget about the symptoms so I stuck at it, which I'm so glad I did. If your main sport is bodybuilding I would advise to maybe get some weights to use at home first then as the weeks go on, because your at home and relaxed you will prove to yourself that you can infact do it and you will see that your symptoms aren't causing you any harm.... it will give you the confidence to get back out doing what you love :) running helped me because like you, anytime I would walk about places I would immediately panic that I was going to faint. But as time went on it sank into my head that if I can run a few miles and be ok afterwards then I can manage a walk round a local supermarket lol also when you exercise your blood pressure goes up making it almost impossible for you to faint.

The benefits you will feel from exercising are great for anxiety. But it does take a few weeks for you to feel better from it so persevere and you will feel better. A lot of the time people think "oh I exercised yesterday but I don't feel better" then they just give up, but if you stick at it through the nasty symptoms it does get alot better and easier. Also I can't recommend and ipod enough lol sometimes good music is enough just to make you forget and help you continue :) xXx

Cheekychap
21-07-14, 00:34
Jen1989, I can't thank you enough.

Finding fellow anxiety sufferers, if you can call us that is somewhat reassuring and your stories of overcoming it are great motivation.

Yes, often the exercise in itself brings on anxiety symptoms such as disorientation and lightheadedness and me then somehow relating it to a mystery illness as opposed to me just accepting it as an anxiety reaction which I should.

Soon after exercise, or when deep in a workout I often see the symptoms subside. Thus being from the concentration I guess, and then after the release of adrenalin.

I agree with you about supermarkets, when in busy hot areas with people around everywhere it can be worrying but like you said there is so many reasons we would not faint.

The ideas you have are good, and it's motivational to see the positive effect exercise can have! Music sounds like a good distraction technique.

I wish you a speedy recovery! Many thanks.

Jen1989
21-07-14, 23:21
Your very welcome :) It honestly does get easier, you will get days when you feel like your going to be like this forever but keep fighting it as it does subside when you stop fearing it.

I completely agree! This site has been such a help to me. It's great to speak to other people who suffer from the same thing :)

Feel free to pm if you need someone to speak to..... Hope you feel better :) xXx

Cheekychap
24-07-14, 01:05
I believe it will get easier, I think.

Just need to concentrate on all the positives!

Thank-you again, and really appreciate that! The same goes to you Jen1989.

RaverNeko
25-07-14, 05:56
I'm not a doctor or anything like that, but I've dealt with dizziness for about a week and a couple of days a while ago. I'm 99.99999999% sure it was just anxiety, but what made me super nervous was that it occurred after I finally went exercising and used machines on my super tight neck and shoulder muscles. I know that may not be the most helpful of information, but at least it's something, :)

Cheekychap
25-07-14, 23:47
RaverNeko, hm what is that meant to insinuate though?

pamela11
28-07-14, 20:16
Sent yoo a pm.do.you still get dizzy you sound exactly like me

---------- Post added at 19:16 ---------- Previous post was at 18:53 ----------

Are you still getting dizzy ? I have a lot of the same symptoms as you .

kam1909
05-08-14, 08:43
I suffer from similar problems with dizziness/tiredness which feels like you are completely out of touch with your surroundings, almost like being slightly drunk. I am feeling that way just now. I also think that I am getting over my anxiety and therefore why are the symptoms persisting. I am starting to think that perhaps it's something to do with my diet i.e. a wheat intolerance or something similar.

Cheekychap
06-08-14, 01:14
Yes Kam1909, sound's like we are in very similar predicmanents as you will see from latest thread I am questioning POTS. Is yours worse when standing or walking? I hope you get better soon in the meantime we have to trust the doctors and accept!

kam1909
06-08-14, 20:29
I think it's always there as I feel it even when sitting/lying down, but when you are moving it definitely makes you feel more uneasy which it's bound to. I have the feeling that I am going to do something stupid, like walk in front of a car as I don't feel as aware of my surroundings. I have found myself bumping into things and tripping more than I normally would. Today it felt especially bad and combined itself with the lump in throat/nausea symptoms which I have also been experiencing a lot recently.

I spoke to my doctor again on Monday and he said to give it another week. I think he is hoping that it disappears on it's own accord.

It would be wonderful to feel 'normal' again!

I think it must be anxiety even when you feel like you are not anxious - your mind is still ticking away. As soon as you think it must be something other than anxiety, that's it kicking in again. I know what you mean when you feel like it's holding you back, I feel the same. For over a year now with one symptom or another I have felt like I am not my normal self and my life is being wasted.

Hopefully things can improve for us all in the near future.

Cheekychap
06-08-14, 21:11
Yeah, I hundred percent understand that! Even when on the computer at home, I can feel a bit disorientated and detached from my surroundings. With the walking too I understand, it is almost like walking in a dream state and made worse by any heat.

Yes a lot of it is subconscious. Concentrate on lowering the overall anxiety and hopefully it should improve.

Cheekychap
11-08-14, 00:51
With no adequate reasoning for an illness other than anxiety I am now becoming rather irritable.

A slim chance it may be chronic fatigue due to the symptoms such as weakness when walking?

Any other ideas guys?

Thanks so much.

JoeGomez17
11-08-14, 19:49
Whoa. Never thought I'd find other people who had the anxiety/nausea/dizziness when in stores.

Now, Ive never been a fan of stores and lingering in them more than I should.. but recently after my panic attacks I've not been able to stay in stores for very long without feeling off-balanced or anxious about something. Even more so if its an art and crafts store with all the crazy smells associated with them.

Thanks for brightening my day. I can rest a bit easier knowing that I'm not going crazy

Leanne1977
11-08-14, 20:37
I get the the dizziness the feeling like I'm gonna collapse I'm that tired especially when I'm in shops or waiting in line for something it sucks big time but I try and not let it stop me enjoying life xx

JoeGomez17
11-08-14, 20:55
I tend to get the dizziness when looking down. Like at a book, at the desk, washing plates, etc etc.

Leanne1977
11-08-14, 21:04
Anxiety sucks big time !!!!

JoeGomez17
14-08-14, 02:47
Yes it does Leanne1977. I also get that dizziness sometimes, not all the time, when walking down hallways. It's super annoying.

Cheekychap
24-08-14, 17:20
Sorry. Only now had the chance to catch up and it is weird how anxiety exhibits. Standing in lines or still and talking to someone can be difficult but if you just accept it and loosen up it shan't be too difficult.

hopey
24-08-14, 17:34
Hi JoeGomez... Your feeling of off balance describes my feeling. I say I feel dizzy which I do but also when I am walking or in shops off balance is an ideal saying for me. Have come of sertraline and finding it difficult . Find it quite frightening too. Thanks hope you soon feel better . hopey

Cheekychap
24-08-14, 17:47
When feeling like that don't put too much emphasis on it and it will pass.

JoeGomez17
24-08-14, 18:47
Thanks hopey and cheekychap. Hope things are well for you.

hopey
25-08-14, 17:38
Hello Carnation. Was amazed to read about having hunched shoulders. I often find myself doing that in fact I think I do it all the time. Am really going to keep my mind on that. Thanks very much for that info Hopey

---------- Post added at 17:38 ---------- Previous post was at 17:33 ----------

Hi joe. Hope you having a better day today.
My afternoon has been a bit better so that is a bonus.
Read in another letter about having hunched shoulders which I think will help me. It is so helpful reading these things. thanks again hopey