PDA

View Full Version : Managing Thoughts

Veronica H
14-07-14, 13:40
Hi everyone. I hope you are all doing well today, and if you are not, then hugs and healing to you from me. This will get better xV

There is a brilliant book by Dr Claire Weekes;SELF HELP FOR YOUR NERVES published by Thorsens ISBN 0-7225-3155-9. Dr Weekes was a physician and scientist. She was a fellow sufferer (nominated for the nobel prize for medicine) and really understood this illness. She took the mystery out of it, and devised a simple programme for recovery. I can't recommend this enough.( It is a bit old fashioned, but still so relevant).

Also...

Exercise

When you feel overwhelmed by emotions;

Imagine a stormy sea with breakers as big as houses. Each wave is more monstrous than the last. They are about to engulf your boat, your very life hangs on those few extra yards in the rushing wall of water.
Then imagine observing the same scene from a high flying plane. From that perspective, the waves seem to form a delicate blue and white mosaic, barely trembling on the surface of the water. From that height in the silence of space, your eye sees these almost motionless patterns, and your mind immerses itself in clear and luminous sky.
The waves of anger or obsession seem real enough, but remind yourself that they are merely fabrications of your mind; that they will rise and also again disappear. Why stay in the boat of mental anxiety? Make your mind as vast as the sky and you will find that the waves of afflictive emotions have lost all of the strength you had attributed to them....

Matthieu Ricard ' Happiness...a guide to developing life's most important skill ' published by Atlantic ISBN 978-1-84354-558-3

Veronicax :bighug:

Catherine S
14-07-14, 13:53
Hi Veronica...very nice to meet you and I agree about Dr. Claire Weekes, I read all of her books some years ago and they helped me to deal with my anxieties and phobias. They haven't gone away completely but she helped me to rationalise alot of it. Thanks for sharing.

Best Wishes
ISB x

Veronica H
14-07-14, 16:26
Nice to meet you too. Knowledge is what we need to take the fear out of this illness as early as possible after a panic attack. Very often our GP's do not understand it, or do not have the time to deal with it adequately. NMP is a lifesaver in that respect. It was reassuring to know (after reading Dr Weekes) that there is a set trajectory to this illness, and that nerves recover quickly once fear is removed from the equation. Vx