PDA

View Full Version : Can anybody help with a rough idea please.

BikerMatt
14-07-14, 22:38
I'm 41 years old and worked ever since leaving school at 16. Started my own business in 1995, anxiety hit me in 2006 and I struggled on until 2011. In 2011 I packed in my business due to anxiety and lost everything including my flat. I didn't really care as I was pretty much anxiety free for 18 months. Over the last couple of years I have struggled more and more with anxiety with a few little spells of work, which I never claimed anything for from the GOVERNMENT until I had 6 weeks off in March & April this year so I phoned and claimed ESA, paperwork went back and forth and by the time I got my payment I had gone back to work. My payment came back at a MASSIVE £39.70:wacko::wacko::wacko: what a load sh:blush:t. I have now lost my job and my anxiety has spiked so no way can I face looking for a job at the moment. I have a 15 month little boy at home and a partner that works part time and we are skint. Does anybody no what roughly I'm entitled to and what I should do? I/WE can't live on £39.70 per week from the Government!!

Annie0904
14-07-14, 22:44
It depends on how much and how long you have been paying NI. You could apply for contribution based ESA. You need to have a medical assessment an then they would put you in eithwher a working group or a support group. I got about £100 per week and I was allowed to do some permitted work which meant I could earn a small amount at the same time.
The Citizens advise should be able to explain what you are entitled to.

KeeKee
15-07-14, 00:34
Is it a single claim? I am on a joint claim with my partner as mine was income based and we got £21 a week! He works part time but we expected more than this :-(. It won't be long until I have to look fora job even if I feel unable as we cant even afford new clothes at the moment.
Good luck and maybe switch to income based? If your income is below £113 you'll get enough to make it upto £113 plus they don't count £20 of your income, if your single I think the amount is £56 or thereabouts fir the first 13 week's.

BikerMatt
15-07-14, 00:59
Is it a single claim? I am on a joint claim with my partner as mine was income based and we got £21 a week! He works part time but we expected more than this :-(. It won't be long until I have to look fora job even if I feel unable as we cant even afford new clothes at the moment.
Good luck and maybe switch to income based? If your income is below £113 you'll get enough to make it upto £113 plus they don't count £20 of your income, if your single I think the amount is £56 or thereabouts fir the first 13 week's.

I'm not sure:blush: all I know is my partners gross pay is a little over £100 per week for a part time job and we get child working tax credits of about £240 per month, so that doesn't even cover our rent, never mind anything else. £21 a week what a joke!

t0rt01se36
15-07-14, 11:41
http://www.entitledto.co.uk/

This website should help you work out which Benefit(s) you are entitled to.

Good luck.

KeeKee
15-07-14, 16:55
We get £240 child tax Credits too :)
So we must get the same ish amount of money and it's hell isn't it!
If you were single you would get the same that you are getting now after the assessment period is over! So singles get the same overall income as couples! Absolute joke

BikerMatt
15-07-14, 21:03
http://www.entitledto.co.uk/

This website should help you work out which Benefit(s) you are entitled to.

Good luck.

---------- Post added at 21:03 ---------- Previous post was at 20:56 ----------

We get £240 child tax Credits too :)
So we must get the same ish amount of money and it's hell isn't it!
If you were single you would get the same that you are getting now after the assessment period is over! So singles get the same overall income as couples! Absolute joke

Yep total joke! Without sounding bitter there are a few people that live near me that don't seem to have ever worked but they all run cars and have sky tv etc:huh::huh::huh:

KeeKee
15-07-14, 23:51
Yep I've saw that too! Having been a single mother on benefits too (I was better off than now!) I still couldn't afford to drive etc so I'm guessing people like that must do fiddle work too! Shocking really.

johnno
04-11-14, 07:45
Its all wrong really. The welfare system only seems to make the vulnerable more incapable and the rich more comfortable. I feel guilty for wanting to ask for benefits. I've tried every other option over last 8 years. I tried uni, doing photography course, getting job but I'm always slipping back down. I didn't complete uni because of anxiety and other issues. I didn't finish photography course because I ended up homeless for few weeks and may not have job now because I'm on bail. When I was homeles, anxiety and depression wasn't enough to get a place from council. I just don't know how to view this country anymore. I certainly don't feel confident in seeking help from it. I just waste my time filling out forms for them to state they are unable to help.