PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety peaks about 2 days after exercising (but worrying about not getting enough)

Mindknot
16-07-14, 12:38
Okay, two weeks in a row this has happened - I've started doing gym sessions with a trainer on a Monday night, feel good afterwards, but the next day when I'm aching a bit, I can feel my anxiety rising, then the day after that the mornings have been awful for my anxiety. I was having trouble functioning this morning every little thing that went a bit wrong made me want to burst into tears... I felt shaky and had a rapid heartbeat from waking up... actually when I think about it, I was feeling pretty crappy last night too... My muscles are still aching a bit from the gym session, but it's not as bad as last week (the first one), however my reaction this week feels like it's been so much worse...

Any idea why it would be worse two (well one a half days) later though? My PT described stress as a toxin the other day, that your cells hang on to, and the release makes you feel bad - could it be that? Feeling better now 4 hours later, but now worrying about the anxiety attack of course...

I already worry that I'm not fit enough due to a pretty sedentary lifestyle, so I don't want to stop doing exercise, but this is nuts - anyone else feel worse for exercising?

AnxietyDJ
16-07-14, 12:57
Hey, sorry to hear that you've been experiencing this... All I can think of (and i'm certainly no medical expert) is that the exercise gives you a boost due to the positive chemicals etc. that your body releases, which then fall down to 'normal' levels 24 hours or so later, resulting in the 'low' feeling you get... Perhaps try doing some lighter exercise the following evening, so see if this counteracts the negativity?

Hope you feel better soon - well done for getting started with the exercise :)

Mindknot
16-07-14, 13:36
Ah yeah, that's a better way of looking at it, at least the exercise sounds like it's doing some good for a bit then! I've been going through a bit of yo-yo exercise routine, hitting it hard for a couple of weeks, then off again, and this whole time my emotions have been pretty out of whack. I need to get a bit more confidence and just keep going I think. Having a PT is good for motivation, but not sure I can afford to keep it up forever.

AnxietyDJ
16-07-14, 15:07
Yes definitely - maybe if you work out a more regular routine, even if some of the days are lighter activities like walking, it might help to balance your overall outlook.

A PT is a great way to get you started and build up some confidence, whilst enforcing the routine aspect of it into your daily life. Once you have the foundations set, you'll find that you can go it alone and that you won't even have to think twice about getting ready to exercise as you'll enjoy it so much :)

Best of luck to you - take care!

Mindknot
16-07-14, 15:36
Thanks, I will keep at it.

The problem with walking is that I do it all the time to get places - doesn't feel much like exercise now, which is why I've been hitting the gym - but think I need to find some "fun-active" activity to keep me going on non-gym days, just not sure what it would be at the mo....

AnxietyDJ
16-07-14, 16:44
Thanks, I will keep at it.

The problem with walking is that I do it all the time to get places - doesn't feel much like exercise now, which is why I've been hitting the gym - but think I need to find some "fun-active" activity to keep me going on non-gym days, just not sure what it would be at the mo....

Ah, I see what you mean... Well how about cycling - you can take that as easy or as hard as you like, and it is something that I personally find very enjoyable.

Badminton / squash / tennis etc? They're very fun and social, as well as being excellent workouts!

Mindknot
17-07-14, 09:12
Cycling would be fun, thanks for your help :yesyes:

Mindknot
22-07-14, 15:40
Started earlier this time, panic attack almost straight after finishing the session and feeling like a nervous wreck today... can exercise stress out your body if you are not very used to it? I've never experienced this in the past - I would normally just ache after a gym session.

binky
23-07-14, 20:59
i find that exercise, particularly high intensity exercise can bring on symptoms of a panic attack as its the rapid heart rate, i went for a run this weekend and thought i was going to have one while running, but managed to convince my body that it was the exercise making me feel like this rather than anxiety. Maybe it is something similar? particularly this time with it being straight after the gym. Exercise can put pressure and stress on the body, maybe try a less intense regime and see if that makes a difference?

ankietyjoe
24-07-14, 12:12
I've made several posts about this in the last couple of years as I experience exactly the same thing. It happened first about 3 years ago after I did a workout at home after not doing anything for a while. I felt ok until about 4-5 hours later, managed to get to sleep that night and then the next day was just pure hell. Massive waves of anxiety, trembling, dizziness etc.

I tested it out a few times in the next 6 months and every single time I did more than very light resistance training I had a reaction between 6-24 hours later.

After much research I came to the conclusion that your body can perceive the aftermath of resistance training as damage to your body (which technically it is) and react almost as if going into shock.

Rest assured that walking is more than enough exercise to keep you healthy and just take it very slowly with workouts. You need to find your own limits and build on it gradually over a prolonged period of time.

Mindknot
25-07-14, 11:38
Hey both, thanks for replying - think it might be a combo of both the things you suggest. The increased heart rate was definitely a result of exercise, my trainer told me to eat something straight away, and that did make me feel better, less panicky.

But I do think that physical discomfort has a lot to do with my anxiety and probably the tired muscles have had a big effect over the next couple of days after a session - "proper" gym stuff is a bit new to me, I thought I was alright fit from walking, swimming and that, but this is different... I don't feel tired as such afterwards, which is maybe why my body is getting confused about what's been happening to it. Trouble is, I've been feeling tired constantly, so it's actually very difficult to tell what's what anymore!

Like to keep at it, as hoping this will improve the situation overall, and my personal trainer is super nice (and understanding) but think I will need to make sure I get some more rest & proper fuel for each session, hopefully it will calm down over time... will see

Female healthanxiety
30-07-14, 11:52
Hello!

I am the same - I feel great the day of exercising but the next day I feel like I have a hangover and feel like you too!

I have tried many things, diet, lifestyle changes, stretches.

I just think we need to do very little and often!

xxxx

mark84
30-07-14, 12:14
I'd guess you're panicking because you can feel your heart racing, tiredness and a bit of nausea maybe from the exercise (which is totally normal) and it's starting off the cycle of anxiety, "oh no I think I'm panicking" and then you actually do start to panic. When you're at home do you panic if you get your heart rate up by running up and down the stairs X times?

Mindknot
30-07-14, 14:16
Thanks guys, I have spoken to the doctor about this today actually, she basically said she thought I could well be tiring myself out - trying to do too much on top of working all day and walking everywhere. I want to get fitter, but am just going to take it easy for a while...

The reason I went to the doctor about anxiety at all, was due to a panic attack at the gym, and I was pretty much going at it hell for leather at that point - probably just knackered! :blush:

I chickened out of PT this week, but will be doing a shorter session next week, so that might work out a bit better.

Jen1989
30-07-14, 15:00
Hi there :)

Like you I decided to start running to help my anxiety and what I will say was that the first 3-4 weeks are always hard and make u feel a bit rubbish..... But if you can push yourself to stick at it you will start feeling the benefits and it will be worth it :) I'm proof of this and cant tell you how much exercise has helped me but I can also remember it being very difficult to begin with so keep at it :)

Hope you feel better xXx

NickyUK79
30-07-14, 18:41
Okay, two weeks in a row this has happened - I've started doing gym sessions with a trainer on a Monday night, feel good afterwards, but the next day when I'm aching a bit, I can feel my anxiety rising, then the day after that the mornings have been awful for my anxiety. I was having trouble functioning this morning every little thing that went a bit wrong made me want to burst into tears... I felt shaky and had a rapid heartbeat from waking up... actually when I think about it, I was feeling pretty crappy last night too... My muscles are still aching a bit from the gym session, but it's not as bad as last week (the first one), however my reaction this week feels like it's been so much worse...

Any idea why it would be worse two (well one a half days) later though? My PT described stress as a toxin the other day, that your cells hang on to, and the release makes you feel bad - could it be that? Feeling better now 4 hours later, but now worrying about the anxiety attack of course...

I already worry that I'm not fit enough due to a pretty sedentary lifestyle, so I don't want to stop doing exercise, but this is nuts - anyone else feel worse for exercising?

Hi, I went to the gym for a whole year last year, done wonders for my body. At first the cardio was doing my head in 90 heart rate resting.
for days after, pain, that's just DOM's. everyone gets it.
anxiety symptoms galore! you adjust and it does get easier, get a bike go cycling, even for a mile or two, every morning with some happy uplifting music.

I felt like death when I started cycling(10 years no exercise, smoker and layabout), it felt like anxiety, panic attack symptoms, that's exercise but you get fit quickly, once a week isn't enough though. Keep at the gym, eventually you will be better to handle anxiety.

Mindknot
30-07-14, 20:31
Thanks for your suggestions guys, to be honest up until about 2 months ago, me and exercise were getting along totally fine. Then anxiety reared it's ugly head, starting with a panic attack at the gym... I think I just need to get back past that barrier of the first few weeks to make it a routine. I can't afford a Pt more than once a week, but it's very useful for motivation and making sure I'm doing things right. plan is to fit in a couple of sessions per week though. There are other things I can pick up again, but the whole plan just went to crap when I started having a lot of panic attacks in succession - still, things are resolving slowly :)