PDA

View Full Version : panic/ fear of panic attacks during meal times

xapril123x
16-07-14, 20:02
Most of my panic and anxiety revolves around food. I used to be a lot worse about other things but now it seems to just focus on food.

I get so panicked when I have to sit at a table to eat with people i am not familiar with. I Can't control it, it's completely overwhelming. I feel like I need to escape as soon as I take my seat and then I Can't swallow.the food properly.

I used to have a massive phobia of being sick so I guess it stems from that.I used to think "what if I feel sick during a meal" but now i dont think that but still feel the pure panic and fear.

I've been avoiding eating dinner with new people for so long now it's getting ridiculous I just want to be normal

I'm mean to be moving in with my boyfriend and his parents (who ive never met) TOMORROW. which means eating dinner with them evertnight and I'm sooo stressed about it. I know I wont be able to do it. I feel like I want to tell him I cant move in.

Any one else relate? What can I do: (

Oosh
17-07-14, 13:12
Is it possible you could just come clean and tell them all how you feel ?
I mean people are aware of these kind of issues more and more these days so its not new to anyone anymore.

I think being honest, open and feeling accepted as you are and not feeling pressured is preferable to trying to hide it, keeping them in the dark and possibly offending them. :yesyes:

jennywren13
18-07-14, 03:14
I agree.
Maybe try and explain it. You might actually be surprised that they understand.

You explained it to us perfectly - so maybe give them the chance to understand show support.

You could say it like "I have a weird food thing ... I know it's weird ... it stems from a fear of being sick I developed ... It's nothing personal .. everyone has something and this is 'my thing.'