PDA

View Full Version : Surgery Under Local Anesthetic

lvictoria
18-07-14, 15:45
Hi everyone.

I posted in the health anxiety forum a while back about my fungal nail infection that had become really painful and I had discounted surgery back then as it really is one of my biggest fears. Now I've had a couple of months to think about it I've reconsidered. I've seen another chiropodist who can remove both of my big toenails for me at her clinic (preferable to a hospital, I can barely go in to visit other people in hospital let alone get something done there) and would put something on to stop them growing back as they're apparently permanently damaged and will always grow back thick and discolored.

My big issue with this is the fact it's under local anesthetic... I've never had an operation before so this will all be new to me. I know the anesthetic takes away any pain but I'm still worried about feeling any of it.
Can anyone tell me more about operations under local and what I could do to distract myself/prevent total panic? The lady doing the operation has already suggested me bringing my iPad and watching a film but I'm not sure it will be enough.

Any ideas?