PDA

View Full Version : I'm new

Swarbs79
18-12-06, 12:42
Hi everyone

This is my first post here, been something of a lurker up to now, reading but never posting myself. I am pretty sure that health anxiety is what I'm suffering from. Like many of you cancer seems to be my thing, I have a different type every week, and even though I can write here that i know its ridiculous to think I have another cancer every week it doesn't stop me from thinking it next time I have another 'attack' for want of a better word.

Usually its cervical cancer, I don't know why, I don't have any symptoms, just that I can be quite sensitive in that area and have to be careful with washing and what underwear I wear and stuff and even the slightest bit of irritation and I think its cancer. I know that I should just go for a smear test (I'm actually late having one) but I'm too scared to even do that, I just can't bring myself to go because I'm too frightened. I think I suffer from panic attacks too because sometimes I can't get my breath properly, I get twinges in my chest and arms and legs and then I get this tingly feeling that starts in my lower back and then goes like a rush up towards my head and leaves me with this tingly feeling in my neck and head (which obviously I then think is some kind of brain tumour!). Sometime it can leave me feeling sick and dizzy for days afterwards. Actually I've learnt to recognise this for what it is now but it doesn't make it any easier.

I am having a particularly bad day today which is why I have finally decided to post. Feeling a bit sore down below and now I have this sort of aching feeling in my buttock which is probably nothing but I have got myself in a right state googling which I know I shouldn't. Now I am convinced that it is starting to move down my leg and my leg is feeling all weird. Sometimes I wonder which came first, was it the anxiety or the pain. Sometimes I think I can become overly aware or focused on a certain part of my body and then I start to feel things that aren't even there. I don't really know how to explain this, its just this extreme awareness of my body and then I feel so fragile like I might just die any second.

It has made me feel a lot better writing all this down anyway if nothing else so thanks for listening.

Swarbs

strawberrie
18-12-06, 13:18
hi swarbs, well done on moving on from being a 'lurker' :D

i also worry about cancer all the time (as lots of people on here do), as soon as i get any sort of 'symptom' its the first thing that leaps to mind.

I dont want to sound like i'm telling you off, but you really would feel happier if you had your smear test. I felt really worried about my last one, but i kept telling myself that they're NOT testing you for cancer, they're looking for pre-cancerous cells. If they find anything untoward they can treat it very simply and quickly.

are you getting any help for your anxiety? - you will get lots of good advice here, also might be worth talking to your doctor about getting cbt, as this is very helpful for health anxiety.

mag

gabes
18-12-06, 17:23
You sound like the female version of me!!!!!! Get the test done. Even if it only allays your fear for a short time. I, like you, am terrified to go to the doctor for fear of what they might find. Recently I have started to force myself to go, it usually prevents or at least eases, months or even years of agonizing anxiety over some minor bodily discomfort. I know what you’re going through, work up the courage to go and just do it. You'll be glad you did.

nomorepanic
18-12-06, 17:25
Hi Swarbs

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here. Hope we can be of some help.

You will meet some lovely kind people on here.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

reddevil
18-12-06, 17:58
Hi,

First of all, welcome to the forum, there are so many nice people on here who go out of their way to help calm situations.

Remember, your not alone, it helps people feel better when they know there are others out there who suffer from this fear of the dreaded C word (you see, I can not even type that word at times).

Red

barbie
18-12-06, 21:28
Hi there...

I too agree you should just go and have the smear. I had one a few weeks ago, and I really do have problems "down there" but mine came back clear. Even if it had been abnormal I wouldnt have worried, as it is for pre-cancerous cells/changes in cells. Cervical cancer is very rare in younger women.

I have a lot of problems and pains down there, I am constantly at the doctors etc, and am having an operation in January. I have been assured there is nothing sinister happening, I have had scans etc to put my mind at rest in that respect. However some days I just convince myself that something terrible will happen! If I feel really really bad, I notice my symptoms get worse and worse. I go to the doctor and am checked over and I am fine.

Please be aware that Irritable Bowel Syndrome can give you pains and aches in your pelvis, that can feel like your womb contracting. It could be a number of things but honestly just go for the smear you'll feel millions of times better. It doesnt even hurt! :D

"Smile Like You Mean It"

peach
18-12-06, 22:04
hi, and welcome to this forum!

you will find everyone is lovely here...

i had my papsmear earlier this year, its actually one of the only tests i religiously go for as there is no needles involved..lol
i didnt go back for the results...to scared, but i have been informed by my doc that if anything is abnormal, then they will phone you...
also, i have had friends with abnormal results, and have gone for a second test, and all was clear then..so dont worry!!!
you will be fine!
our bodies do funny things all the time, 99.9% of the time its nothing...
im always getting funny aches and random sharp pains..but they always go away quickly...and are soon forgotten...
i also have ibs..so im prone to weird pains and odd body stuff...

Swarbs79
19-12-06, 16:29
Hi everyone

Thank you so much for your kind replies, it is such a comfort to know that others feel the same way as me. I am going to go to the doctors, think I might ask my mum to go with me for support, she suffers from anxiety too.

The pain I was experiencing yesterday seems to have gone, I'm at work today and have been busy which I think has distracted me.

So glad I found this forum.

Thanks again everyone

Swarbs x