PDA

View Full Version : DVT Fear

Bedworth
19-07-14, 00:51
I'm 27, Male, don't smoke or drink but I rarely go out due to agrophobia. Last week I started getting pain along a varicose vein that runs from my calf all the way up my thigh and as I have a family history of blood clots, my mother and grandmother, I went to my GP.

He set me up with a D-Dimer blood test and told me not to worry, I got the results back today which were negative but the pain, tightness and burning sensation has only gotten worse, coupled with the fact my mother also once had a negative D-dimer but her leg was riddled with blood clots, I asked him for a refferal for an ultrasound but he refused.

I explained this to him and he brushed it off telling me to go to A&E if I was still concerned so I did. The doctor there measured my legs which have no swelling and went over all my details and I explained everything to him and asked if I could have an ultrasound but he refused and told me to take some Ibuprofen and rest my leg. I asked him what was causing the pain if it wasn't a clot and he just said he wasn't sure.

The pain is only getting worse and I feel like I've been left to die, I don't know what to do I feel like I'm going crazy.

nomorepanic
19-07-14, 01:03
You need to trust the doctors and rest the leg and see how it goes.

jacobean
19-07-14, 01:09
Give it some time and see how it goes. Not easy I know but try to see if it goes away. A lot of things can give that sort of pain I imagine. I have sciatica and that runs in a line down my leg and is an intense sharp, burning pain. It lasts for a couple weeks normally before it fades out. and it isn't related to anything serious at all - simply a pain that isn't very pleasant.

I hope you feel better very soon.

Fishmanpa
19-07-14, 01:46
Based on what you wrote, if something serious is going on and the medical professionals missed it, we'll be reading about you in the Daily News and your case will be scaring the bejeebers out of everyone else with DVT fears ;)

Give it some time and see how you feel.

Positive thoughts

swanick15
19-07-14, 02:47
Based on what you wrote, if something serious is going on and the medical professionals missed it, we'll be reading about you in the Daily News and your case will be scaring the bejeebers out of everyone else with DVT fears ;)

Give it some time and see how you feel.

Positive thoughts

This is so true about the daily mail but in all seriousness what you have described sounds more neurological than like DVT. If it was a blood clot you would be in more pain than you have ever been in before. If you still worried then just keep an eye for these symptoms and if they happen call NHS 111 or go back to A+E;
• Heavy, dull feeling
• Intense pain not soothed with painkillers
• Leg goes very red
• Leg is much warmer than the other or hot to the touch
• Leg swells up much bigger than the other

Otherwise take an iburofen and rest the leg and you could try an ice pack to reduce the pain and if it persists go back to the GP.

I've got a whole chapter in my textbook on this and your mums false negative on the d-dimer test is expected with medical tests. As my tutor said all medical tests always have a potential to give false positive or negative but its just that rare (about 0.5%) are its not worth considering. Just keep an eye on your symptoms and if they change speak to NHS 111 or go to A+E that's we can really say on here as were not doctors sorry.

Cags48
19-07-14, 12:56
I've had a DVT in my leg years ago , my leg swelled up huge and red and shiny and my blood pressure was through the roof , they gave me heparin injections and I had a venagram within a week I was back to normal I take blood thinners now . You would really know if you had one x

---------- Post added at 12:56 ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 ----------

But saying that IF your really not happy I would insist on the test tell them it's your body and you want peace of mind

Bedworth
21-07-14, 17:38
UPDATE:

The pain increased over the weekend and now I have a horrible tightness all around my knee, it feels like it is in a vice no matter the position I put it in. I called my GP and he said he'll see me tomorrow. I'm horribly scared.

The tightness is especially bad on the large vein bulge at the back of the knee.

Bedworth
22-07-14, 10:31
UPDATE:

I went to my GP and he prescribed me Piroxicam Gel, he believes I just pulled something and I should try the gel. He said I should go back on Friday if the pain continues.

I'm still getting a crushing vice like pain on the back of my knee.

Bedworth
25-07-14, 10:07
UPDATE:

Went to my GP, still having tightness and pain down my leg and now on my calf too, he told me to not be anxious about it and keep using the gel.

After squeezing my leg and behind my knee tightly and explaining if I had a blood clot he wouldn't be able to do this. He told me I should call him on Tuesday if I'm still having problems and then he will set up some further scans.

I hope he is right, though when he was squeezing my leg I just kept telling myself he was going to dislodge a blood clot and kill me, my leg is hurting a lot more now and I feel scared.

swanick15
25-07-14, 13:32
It wouldn't have dislodged a blood clot if it did it would have gone to your lungs within the hour and by now you'd either be in intensive care or having a postmortem, sorry to put it that way!

Bedworth
05-08-14, 18:30
Update:

My leg continues to get worse, the pain in the inside of my left thigh and tightness behind my knee. I called the doctor last week and he told me he was going to speak to someone to arrange some tests and to call back this week. I called today, this morning to arrange a telephone call and was told he would call me.

Hours later he still hadn't so I called them again to confirm he was going to call me, he never did and now they are closed.

I'm finding hard to function anymore.

Cags48
06-08-14, 13:58
Did your doctor take your blood pressure, if your not happy and the pain is bad can you not get to a walk in center ? I really don't think it's a DVT for one with the time scale you would have been in hospital by now , maybe you have an infection cellulitis or something I'm not a doctor but I would go to walk in center

Lemondrizzle
06-08-14, 22:46
I picked up my new car last week. So excited about driving it home... but health anxiety ruined it for me... i was convinced that due to a pain in my calf that a blood clot was forming... health anxiety puts such a dampner on things! Phoned. Docs as soon As I got home

Bedworth
28-08-14, 15:26
UPDATE:

After over a month of problems, especially an extreme tightness behind my left knee to towards the outside of my leg I saw my doctor once again after a horrible panic attack ridden taxi journey due to my panic disorder. He checked it out painfully prodding and squeezing my leg and once again told me he didn't believe it was a bloodclot. He is arranging now for me to see a physiotherapist.

I feel certain it's a blood clot and that I'm going to die. The tightness behind my knee never goes away and increases whenever I move my leg or put weight on it, I've tried everything to relieve the symptoms but nothing has helped. The doctor has told me to do whatever is the most comfortable for my leg while I'm waiting for the appointment.

anx mum
28-08-14, 20:46
I really do feel for you. Im having the exact same problem painful calf doctors are saying mine are sciatica but still I worry its a d.v.t. I have family history too had this pain now two weeks constant, im seeing a physio. What pain relief u takin?

Bedworth
28-08-14, 22:55
I tried ibuprofen and piroxicam gel but neither have helped in the slightest. I've also tried cold, heat and keeping my leg raised but none of that did anything either.

Dolphin8808
11-09-14, 09:27
Any relief? I am having bad calf pain, hurts to walk but feels all like muscle pain. No swelling, no redness, no heat... hurts but feels good when I rub it. I work out a lot and recently pinched a nerve in my back, was down a few days and now my mind is going to this, health anxiety is so draining!

Bedworth
12-09-14, 08:24
No relief at all, the tightness is as bad as ever. I got a letter for an ultrasound on the 17th but it is in a clinic in Coventry and not my local hospital which does ultrasounds/dopplers and is much closer. I asked my doctor if he could switch it due to my severe panic attacks and agoraphobia which is heightened by going to new places and he just dismissed me.

He really refuses to understand my issues and brushes them off, I don't know what to do. I honestly feel I'm just going to die as I'm not even sure if I'm able to travel there despite how much I want to get this sorted.

Dolphin8808
12-09-14, 15:52
I am sorry, your doc sounds like he is doing the ultra sound simply to make you happy. It sounds to me like you really tore your muscle. I think I did the same thing. Freaking me out, the pain is crazy especially when I walk. Does your pain subside at rest? Def feels very tight too.

Bedworth
12-09-14, 21:28
I hope it's just a torn muscle behind my knee, I've tried to convince myself it is just that or something else benign but I just end up freaking myself out and my stomach starts getting muscle spasms and my breathing gets erratic from anxiety.

The tightness starts to fade mostly but not completely when I stretch out my leg but if i put weight on it or start bending it then it gets tight again. Also if I'm sitting with the leg straight down then it aches like crazy.

I'm gonna write my doctor an email to try and better explain my situation.

I just noticed the back and front of my left thigh which is the side with the tightness behind my knee is hotter than the right side.

Bedworth
15-09-14, 08:38
Update:

Sorry for using my thread like a blog but it helps keep me focused. I've been getting a sharp pain which is new and ache in the back of my knee but to the outside of it, the tightness still remains with every step and even when resting. Sometimes it feels like the tightness moves around, from the side and back of my knee to the very top of my calf below my knee.

I'm still not sure what to do as my panic disorder won't let me travel that far to a new place although I desperately want and need to go, I don't know what to do and It's making me extremely depressed and left me feeling crazy and trapped.

I've been trying to tell myself I created this whole issue in my head and when I first saw the doctor the tightness to the side of my knee wasn't a problem, it was the pain in my thigh which I haven't felt in a while now and perhaps I injured something when having my leg rested up on a pillow, but it's difficult to convince myself.

I honestly feel unstable from this whole affair and from an outsider looking ins perspective I know I must seem totally mentally ill, but even now as I'm typing this the pain is throbbing. I'm scared and I feel doomed and helpless, I also feel paranoid that I'm without doubt going to die from a blood clot and everything is working against me, that my panic and agoraphobia has been building up to this.

As with everyone with health anxiety I'm overthinking everything but yeah, it feels good to write it down. All I can think to do now is beg my doctor to switch it to my local hospital as a priority or go to A&E again.

Bedworth
19-09-14, 11:07
Update:

I sent my doctor an email explaining everything a lot better than I could over the phone and I got a very positive response. He has switched the ultrasound to my local hospital though it may take a bit longer it will be easier for me, he said I shouldn't worry as he really doesn't believe it is a bloodclot and the only reason he used the clinic is coventry was for a faster appointment as he was doing me a favour. He is also going to help me speed through things with IAPT if I don't hear from them by wednesday.

Obviously I'm still worried about my leg but this has been a real positive boost.

Cambrian49
19-09-14, 11:29
Hiya - I was reading ur post as I too have fear of DVT . I had an operation on my pelvis almost two weeks ago and I'm fixated on getting a clot so much so my leg now hurts and I can't rationalise what it could be. Luckily I have a really nice doc and she is going to check it this afternoon. I think that is half the battle - having somebody who is willing to listen and take ur concerns seriously tho it's getting the balance between when it's appropriate to seek reassurance or recognise it's "just" anxiety. This is something we are going to discuss later and I guess it will be more CBT for me. Hopefullynsgterbthis episode u will be offered something similar . In the meantime keep up the positive thoughts :) xx