PDA

View Full Version : Hysteroscopy Help!

mum4c
19-07-14, 09:27
Hello everyone. I wanted to ask if anyone has had a hysteroscopy and if so, how painful was it? I am due one in about 6 weeks and am down as a day case. However, I am absolutely terrrified it is going to hurt as the consultant thinks that I may have a polyp and it will need removing.
I had a loop excision to remove pre-cancerous cells 18 years ago and I remember the pain like it was only yesterday. It was excruiating and I felt so out of control. I couldn't have got off the bed even if I had wanted to as my legs were in slings, etc. I always said that if I had to have a procedure like that done again, I would have it done under a general anaesthetic.
I am seriously thinkin of asking for it to be done under a general but feel really pathetic. Generally my pain threshold is quite good.
I am worried that my anxiety will make it 100 times worse if I don't have a general. On the other hand, I always worry in the back of my mind that I won't come out of a general and will never see my children again!!
Please can anyone give me some advice? Thanks

SarahH
19-07-14, 11:30
I was under the impression that they are done under a general! The day patient part is correct as you just have a small general and leave later in the day.

sarah

nomorepanic
19-07-14, 14:12
I have had one and I am not going to lie about it - it hurt a lot but I also had the coil fitted at the same time.

I wouldn't have wanted it under general anaesthetic but it was the most painful thing I have ever had done - sorry to be so honest but I didn't want to say it would be ok and lie about it.

mark henri
09-10-14, 11:13
A hysteroscopy may be done to find the cause of abnormal bleeding or bleeding that occurs after a woman has passed menopause. It also may be done to see if a problem in your uterus is preventing you from becoming pregnant . A hysteroscopy can be used to remove growths in the uterus, such as fibroids or polyps.

Annie0904
09-10-14, 19:18
I have had it done with both general anaesthetic and without. I have had it 4 times altogether. Without GA it felt a little uncomfortable but I did not find it very painful. You could ask your GP for Diazepam to help you to relax before you go for it. The times that I had it with GA I recovered quite quickly after a cup of tea and slice of toast :)