PDA

View Full Version : Comforting behaviour causing more sinister problems?

ItShouldGetBetter
19-07-14, 21:13
I've posted before about my comforting behaviour being the excessive number of Trebor Xtra Strong mints I eat on a daily basis.

I've stopped and started but always seem to go back to eating them.

I can feel the effect that they are having on my teeth, but my question is could these be causing the stomach problems that seem to play such a huge part in my anxiety?

I will have either a tight, uncomfortable or severe burning acid-like feeling deep in the pit of my stomach, which only having a mint will help. Then the pain comes back, so more mints, and it's a bit of a vicious cycle.

Could the mints be causing these pains, even when after 2/3 days mint free I'm still getting the pains?

Joe

Catherine S
19-07-14, 23:28
Apparently it depends on the type of stomach problem we have. For example I suffer with acid reflux and peppermint is not recomendd as it can make the sphincter more relaxed which leads to stomach acid being released into the oesophagus, whereas its ok to take it to ease IBS. The other problem with mint sweets is they also have a high sugar content so this excess sugar could be adding to your stomach problems. Hope this helps.

ISB x