PDA

View Full Version : Hard lump above adams apple

Solo26
21-07-14, 10:15
Hi, it's probably nothing and i'm just freaking out but it bothers me a lot lately.

There is a small hard lump on my neck above "adams apple" slightly to the right side (left side is clear) where neck meets my chin. Its been there ..well for few years i guess (Im 26 now and i can remmember it after one ofmy first shaving in maybe 18-19). It never really bothered me. But as im getting older i somehow fear more for myself and suddenly its something im constantly thinking about.
It feels to be right under my skin on top of muscles (probably) and it does not hurt, change or grow. It is not visible and also it doesnt move when i swallow.

Today i visited our local Otolaryngologist - after a brief check he did not find anything unusual. My nodes are normal as well as my vocal cords and inside of my neck. I have no other medical issues. He scheduled me for ultrasound check in our hospital but it will take a month on waiting list since its not an urgent case.

I know its probably nothing because its been there for few years without changes or problems but i cant focus on my work im just sitting in my office googling and getting more and more anxious.

Maybe someone experienced similar issue an can provide information to ease my mind. Thank you.:bighug1:

Rennie1989
21-07-14, 10:54
Right, make a conscious decision to STOP googling. You had somebody physically exam your neck and has told you that you are fine, whilst Dr Google has not and will only tell you the worst possible scenario. Like you said, it has been there for a few years, if it was sinister it would have been a problem a very long time ago.

Do try and focus on your work because once you have you will forget about your neck. Use work as an opportunity as a distraction and escapism.

Dolphin8808
21-07-14, 13:33
Oh how I do hate when old finds become new issues. It is like we are not happy unless we are dwelling on something right? You've already answered your own questions. Its been there for years, hasn't changed etc. If it were something sinister, you would know by now.

But waiting for the test results are the hardest part for me. Its like I am pulled between going to the doctors and not going to the doctors because I am scared of having tests and something show, even when I know nothing will show.

I am with ya! You sound fine to me, I am sure it is nothing but a normal part of your neck or a little fatty patch. I have one on my arm and one behind my ear, been there forever.

hanshan
21-07-14, 13:51
Note that these days, doctors will routinely send just about everything off for a test, even when they are 99% certain there is nothing serious. This means that the great majority of people being tested turn out to be normal.