PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Studied at the Open University?

LunaLiuna
21-07-14, 20:36
Hello everyone,

It feels like it's been an age since I posted a thread..

Anyway I have a question, due to my Anxiety and whatever else plagues me I will most probably be studying at the OU in either October or early next year (2015)I have found a course that I'm very interested in, which is a BA Honours in Philosophy and Psychological studies.

I'm just curious to know If anyone else has been down the route of an Online Uni during mental illness? Everywhere I've looked and from the people I've talked to, it is apparently a well respected place to acquire a degree, there is also plenty of support. Maybe I'm just trying to look for a bad thing about it just so I don't have to change everything in my life :s

Any advice would be appreciated, making a decision like this at a time when I'm just getting better is pretty hard..

unfitwellhappy
21-07-14, 21:38
Hey! I did AA100 - The Arts Past & Present as part of the BA History degree... I actually found it helped me, gave me a good distraction to think about something else other than the Anxiety issues I have.

A degree from the OU is very well respected nowadays!!!!

I would say, do the course - you have nothing to lose!!!

Andy

Rennie1989
21-07-14, 21:39
I know quite a few people who have obtained degrees from OU and they all say awesome things about it!

In terms of mental health being an issue there is always an option where you can start off doing the degree for, let's say 6 years, then if you feel able to cope with the work you can decrease the time to 3 years (you would need to speak to the tutors as it is very demanding, as it would be at an actual university institute) or, if you need a break or can't cope, you can increase it to 9 or 12. Whilst you pay the same amount no matter how long you take it is worth baring in mind that the shorter the time you do the degree the more you have to pay a month or year, this is why people often do them for 6+ years.

Remember that once you start it is a long road ahead that requires dedication, time and money. But if you chose a subject close to your heart then it shan't be too much of an issue.

Once I finish my counselling training I am looking into doing a Psychology degree with the OU!

What is it exactly that you're worried about regarding your mental health and doing the degree?

Annie0904
21-07-14, 22:11
I did and it was great as I could study at my own pace. My tutors were all very helpful and supportive. You do have to be very self motivated though.

HalfJack
21-07-14, 22:22
I know people who have said wonderful things about the OU. Have you read any philosophy before?

LunaLiuna
21-07-14, 22:44
Thanks for the reply guys.

Rennie- Yeah I got told that there was always the option to do the part time course. But I feel I'm ready to do it full time as I do very little at home. Also, as unfit said, it'll give me a something to focus on whilst I recover. I'm just asking people how it went whilst juggling a health problem. From what I've been told I should be getting someone help with the funding so that's a slight relief.

HalfJack- I read philosophical works all of the time.

Its nice to be hearing more good news about it, I'm pretty sure this is what I'll be doing now. I can't help feeling a little stressed, but I suppose that's normal.

littlemrs
21-07-14, 23:31
I started my open degree with the OU last year and can't wait to get back to studying in October. I get Disabled Students' Allowance because of my severe anxiety which, most importantly, enables me to sit my exams at home. My course load is 75% and although I really enjoy learning, I have found the added stress has made my anxiety a bit worse. I would totally recommend studying with the OU but you need to be organised and very self-motivated, as Annie said. Good luck!

Brunette
22-07-14, 08:50
The difficulty most people have is fitting in their studies around work and family life.

If you spend most of your time at home then it will be much easier for you to manage the workload.

LunaLiuna
22-07-14, 12:00
I started my open degree with the OU last year and can't wait to get back to studying in October. I get Disabled Students' Allowance because of my severe anxiety which, most importantly, enables me to sit my exams at home. My course load is 75% and although I really enjoy learning, I have found the added stress has made my anxiety a bit worse. I would totally recommend studying with the OU but you need to be organised and very self-motivated, as Annie said. Good luck!

I didn't know you could would be allowed to sit exams at home, that would be a massive help. I studied at an online college and was aloud to do that so that being an option for University will be a big help :)

Oosh
22-07-14, 12:13
Hiya

I started an OU degree in psychology years ago. The first Level 1 course i had to complete was "Introduction to Social Science". I completed and passed it but didnt take it any further as it was too expensive at the time.

Ive thought of continuing with it many times since though.

They sent me my course books with instructions on what is to be done each month. I was given a personal tutor who i could call if i needed help. I had to submit an essay each month i think.

Its obviously up to you how you manage your time all month so the danger is you leave it all last minute and cram at the end of the month (which i did :/ )

I still passed though.

I think youll love it. If youre already enjoying reading about and questioning philosophy and psychology it`ll just be what youre already doing but youll be able to convert that time into respectable qualifications.

Its been ten years but i still remember what i learned about social science on that course and how to critically analyse information. And social science wasnt even the subject i intended to study.

Brunette
22-07-14, 12:14
Not all courses actually have exams either - many have an extended essay called an ECA instead.

LunaLiuna
22-07-14, 16:02
Thanks Oosh and Brunette.

I have three final questions:

One. Has your degree helped you achieve what you want?

Two. Have/can you get at least a masters using an OU degree? I haven't looked through the other courses so I'm not sure how far it goes in terms of study level.

Three. (Dependant on question two) If for instance I complete my first three years at the OU. Will I be easily accepted into a normal University studying the same subject as before in the OU but at a higher level? I guess what I'm trying to say is can I transfer the grades I get from OU towards a higher degree in a proper Uni? Sorry if that's slightly long winded. I hope it makes sense.

Thank you for your help everyone!

Brunette
08-09-14, 15:40
You can get an MA with the OU, yes. I keep getting tempted by the History masters but talking myself out of it :)

You can study up to PhD level in fact - just as with any other university.

And yes, an OU degree is a "proper" degree, it qualifies you for higher study elsewhere if that's what you want to do.

Not sure about how the system works if you want to do part of your study at the OU and part elsewhere but I know the OU gives credit towards a degree for courses taken elsewhere so I assume it works in reverse.

Best to ask. They are usually very helpful.

Rennie1989
09-09-14, 09:14
I have seen degrees go up to PhD level on OU.

For the third question, you would have to contact the university/ies that you're interested in as each university structure their degree programmes differently.

LunaLiuna
04-10-14, 13:37
I officially start my BSc (Hons) Social Psychology course today with the module DD102. I say officially because I started last Wednesday and have already got ahead by a week. Slightly confused at how easy it has been so far! But hey. I thought I'd just post this here.

I changed to the science degree, because the original arts degree seemed to be fairly limited in it's outcome.

:D

Oosh
04-10-14, 13:45
Rings a bell. I did DD100 :)

LunaLiuna
04-10-14, 14:05
Rings a bell. I did DD100 :)

Pretty sure that's the next module I'll be doing. Was it really slow and easy at the start for you? I was advised to do the first year part-time, to which I agreed because I'm technically ahead of people my age anyway. Part time means about 15 hours a week according to them. But Ive done every activity for week one already, in a day. I know I should be talking to my tutor about this, but he's away until the 18th, which isn't the most convenient.

Oosh
04-10-14, 14:44
I'll be honest, I was one of those people who put it off all month and then crammed in the last day or two.

I (sometimes) found it hard to concentrate at the time (anxiety) and it hung over me all month haha. But yeh, I crammed it into a couple of days per month I think and did pass.

Your sharp little mind will devour it in no time, each month, I'd imagine. It wasn't especially hard. Just needed a certain amount of concentration.

LunaLiuna
04-10-14, 14:58
Maybe I should of taken full time :s

This isn't going to be very fun, just repeatedly going over the same material for a week. Hmm.

Rennie1989
04-10-14, 17:37
Give it a couple of weeks when you have to start planning essays, references, time to study for essays etc. You'll be grateful for the time.

t0rt01se36
04-10-14, 19:54
I have chance to study through the Open Uni early next year, but after reading what some of you put, I am thinking it might not be what I could cope with, cos I have a lack of concentration and am useless at writing essays. Even though I have enough time to learn, I am not very good at organisation and prioritising.:unsure:

LunaLiuna
05-10-14, 09:33
I have chance to study through the Open Uni early next year, but after reading what some of you put, I am thinking it might not be what I could cope with, cos I have a lack of concentration and am useless at writing essays. Even though I have enough time to learn, I am not very good at organisation and prioritising.:unsure:

You can always become good at it (the organisation) can't you?

So far they've been great in terms of support for me, and with the way my course is going, it's a very gradual introduction into what's expected of you. Don't let this thread put you off! :D

GingerFish
19-10-14, 13:07
Yes I'm currently in my second year of my biology degree with OU :)
I love their way of teaching and I have no urge or notion now to go to a brick uni.

debs71
19-10-14, 16:07
I know this is quite an old thread, but I undertook a short course on Creative Writing with the OU a couple of years ago, and I loved every minute of it.

I too was sceptical about the OU....I wasn't sure how it exactly worked out, how much support you get, etc. but it was great.

I would not be one for the whole walking into a classroom thing and that awful 'let's go around the room in a circle, and let everyone know your name and stuff about you' thing.......HORRENDOUS... so I found distance studies so much easier, but still felt supported by the online forums with fellow students, and regular tutor contact.

I also found it hugely beneficial for my anxiety and depression. It gave me a purpose, something to divert my brain and focus on, and a sense of real achievement.

MrFriday
01-11-14, 15:29
I'm studying Law at the Open University. You need to be self-motivated. It is a big commitment...so choose a subject which you have a genuine interest in.