PDA

View Full Version : starting satraline today need advice

trish1955
22-07-14, 08:39
Really scared of meds so will be in need of support and advice I this k I spelt it right what they given me read so many stories some good some good But most went through hell to get to the good but I am already in hell with anxiety panic agoraphobia and now depression I have had agoraphobia anxiety and panic for forty years but depression as never been this bad over time I been down with my probs but this time I have hit rock bottom been going down over last couple years its like now I am in a dark hole nd can not get out. So hope these meds work for me any advice or how other coped when first taking it tnankyou xxxxx

unfitwellhappy
22-07-14, 09:39
Hey Trish!

Well, I never went through hell when I first started taking Sert..

I did notice a slight increase in my anxiety, but my Doc gave me a small dose of Diazepam to use as needed, but thankfully I haven't had to!

I would recommend drinking lots of water, taking a good vitamin (B6 preferably) and eating bananas.

Watching a comedy on TV also helps :)

Andy

trish1955
22-07-14, 10:13
Thanks I feel an emotional wreck today hope the sert will lesson my depression side of things worried about feeling sick all time as I already do just thinkin about it make me feel sick as they say it could be one of the side effects and I don't like feeling sick it makes me even more anxioyse why was you on sert and what strength you take at first mi e 25mg never took any thing that strong in my life. How lo g before they take. Effect. Sorry about all the question but I no me and the pstive feed back I get the easier it will be for me thanks again for yr reply

unfitwellhappy
22-07-14, 10:23
No worries at all :)

I take Sert for anxiety - I started on 50mg and for the past week it's been increased to 100mg a day.

I know you are feeling horrible now, but it will pass - you just need to try to stay positive (i know it's easier said than done).

Andy

trish1955
22-07-14, 10:25
Thanks Andy do you mind if I use you as my support through these first few weeks of side effects some say I might not get any that would be good lol but unless I keep seeing pstive stuff I no me lol thanks //

unfitwellhappy
22-07-14, 10:26
I don't mind at all :)

Feel free to PM me anytime.

Andy

reddevil
22-07-14, 10:34
Hi,

I take the medication for depression/anxiety and my tip would be, not to be scared of taking them and give them time to work, as mine took a good 6-8 weeks.
I started on 25mg, then 50mg then 75mg and then 100mg.
My anxiety raised at first taking them and then I went through a period of feeling spaced out but when I finished that path, I noticed my anxiety was better and I was more happy.

Red

trish1955
22-07-14, 11:07
Thanks for the pixtive I just need to try not be afraid of the spaced out feeling as no it will scare me as I ave to feel in control of my thought. I sound as mad as a hatter lol I foray to God it gives me some relieve thanks so much keep the positive coming xx

unfitwellhappy
22-07-14, 11:25
Exercising also helped me! Took my mind off things for a while - so get out the house if you can, even if it's just for a walk :)

A

trish1955
22-07-14, 12:01
My back yard is my world at min don't even go round to my daughter next door I get panicky my sgraphobi and depression really took old but yep I will do the excersise just make that up. As I am doing it as I do a little one every morning it not made a blind bit difference but I keep on doing and i shower and make my self dress as I didn't get dressed at all for along long time being agraphobic you don't see point yr not going no were I did bath and Chang my PJs but that's all I would were and my slippers didn't need shoes God that is so sad in fact I ave just been up my little garden sat at side of my little pond and sobbed begging for a life. I honestly have x

---------- Post added at 12:01 ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 ----------

I am really great full for you guys I was so alone with it now not feeling so on my own thank you so muchx

unfitwellhappy
22-07-14, 12:04
It's not sad at all!

You are getting out to the garden and that's a good thing, so give yourself a pat on the back for that!

I wish I had a pond :)

wabbit1
22-07-14, 13:40
Hiya, I've been taking sertraline for 14 weeks now. I started on 50 mg for 2 months and never noticed a difference. I was then moved to 100 mg and after a couple of weeks I was noticing a difference. I'm in a much better place, more relaxed, confident and happier. I was lucky though and haven't really experienced any side effects. Only a bit of insomnia which may or may not be connected.

Good luck :)

unfitwellhappy
22-07-14, 14:04
It's comforting to read that you did better on the increased dose Wabbit.

I didn't see any difference on 50mg - now on 100mg for the past week so hopefully will start to see a difference in the next couple.

Andy

reddevil
22-07-14, 15:38
I noticed nothing on 50mg then after a few weeks of increasing I also felt more relaxed, confident and happier.

unfitwellhappy
22-07-14, 15:45
Did you go up to 100mg too reddevil?

aprilmoon
22-07-14, 16:13
Hi I haven't been on this particular ad,( but many others),I just wanted to send you a hug,and hope you're feeling much better soon.
Its hard when you want something to work straight away,but keep taking it and you should start to feel better.
Take care and best wishes.xx

reddevil
22-07-14, 19:42
Did you go up to 100mg too reddevil?

Hi,

I have been on 150mg in the past but managed to lower myself this year to now be on 75mg.

Red

trish1955
22-07-14, 20:32
And doe 75 work for you red xx

trish1955
23-07-14, 09:16
Help took my first one this morning I feel sick dizzy and so scared XXX

unfitwellhappy
23-07-14, 10:00
Hang in there trish - it will pass :)

trish1955
23-07-14, 10:34
All I am thinking if I end up anxious and panicking after one what will I be like by end of week I swear they be carting me away to funny farm I ended up taking a 2mg diazipam still feel sick it being g dizzy and feeling like my mind stops think in for a second you got to Rember my mind and body have been racing for such along time so afraid of quitting I don't no wat to do if this one work I did three weeks on cit I only took five mg for a week then Severn and a half.mg But. Had diazipam also to keep my panic low but by time I got to the full ten mg and no diazpam left and they would not give me some more I went in a melt down that week and ended up in a&e in a right state could not calm Down it lasted hours I am so afraid of that happening again maybe I should not take 25mg I should chop it it in haff again as the one I have are 50 been told to chop them in half and now I am tninkin maybe 12.5 mite be best for at least a week then just up it slowley wat do you lot think I no if I was as bad as I was this morning I will quit and I am trying so hard as had so much therapy EFT acupunctur hypnossis CBT counciloring phycolgist all to try and get a life I paid to timeline therapy it was rubbish so was EFT xxxx

reddevil
23-07-14, 18:12
And doe 75 work for you red xx

Hi,

Sorry for delay - just got to the computer.

Yes, 75mg does help me as 50mg and lower did nothing to calm me.

I have been higher at 150mg, makes you not care much and very tired.

When increasing, my doctor told me to snap them in half as my tablets were 50mg.

Red

trish1955
23-07-14, 19:54
After a horrid first day debating if to snap my tablet to make it 12.5. As if I feel like I did today it will well and truly scare me off from taking them I felt my chest go tight so many times dizzy sick I can't do it I really can't I m scared stiff xx

trish1955
24-07-14, 09:09
Sat here this morning g afraid to take the meds after all the feel I GS I had yesterday I kept thinking it can't be the meds but. My chest was tight felt sick dizzy very anxuiose it lasted all day x I mean I feel bad enough why would I want to make myself feel even worse x

unfitwellhappy
24-07-14, 10:11
Morning Trish!

I know it's hard, but with any SSRI there is always the risk of making you feel a wee bit worse before it gets better.

If you can, stick with it because it will pass - but if you are feeling terrible it might be worth speaking with your GP.

trish1955
24-07-14, 17:41
Well unfit I did speak to doctor she say just see how it goes the sad thing is I had a rocky start to Tuesday morning but day got better had awful day after meds yesterday but had half decent day without anything g today I did sit and read alife at last it say a lot of same stuff as clair weeks he says you are a prisoner but you are the jailer with the key even though I have read clair weeks and pauls book s based on same strategerdie can't spell it the way he words it is good so I don't no wat to do xx

MRS STRESS ED
24-07-14, 19:46
Hi trish as everyone is saying hang in the side effects are worth the results in the long run I take 100mg I was suppose to come off them but Im the oppersite because im scared to come off them ,incase my anxiety comes back xx

trish1955
24-07-14, 23:15
To be ho west Mrs street end if it mace me feel better and help me to live a normal life I would not care if I had to take it every day for rwxt of my life xxxxxx

wabbit1
24-07-14, 23:23
I'm the same, Mrs Stress Ed. I have been on the sertraline for 4 months now and my GP initially said 6 months. They seem to be working after an increase in the dosage that I'm worried about what'll happen in 2 months. Will I have to come off them, will I go back to square one.

Trish, hang in there. It takes at least 2 weeks to notice a difference for the better.

trish1955
25-07-14, 09:28
I ave took a small dose today its a 50mg and I ave chopped into 4 so its like 12.5 then I take 25 for two weeks I only decided. To try again as I lay in bed wake at six clock not wanting to get up at that to e I try to stay in till 8 other wise it makes my day so long and its a day of struggling with my anxiety and panic and loneliness plus my mi d was rack g through aloud of different thoughts none making much since I got to a point were I thought I must be loosing my mind that's so scarey I want to no what the meds will do if they work they say they given them to me to lesson my anxiety so as I can go do CBT I can't see how this is going to work my self really in need of some positive cuts I am so anxuiose this min x

MRS STRESS ED
25-07-14, 22:50
Hi trish the meds will hopefully lower your anxiety and me you feel well again with abit of luck ,but you have to keep with it and stay positive and if your not feeling better go back to your gp you may need the dose higher I did ,hope you feel better soon xx

wabbit I keep hoping I feel better when I come off them lets hope we both feel better when the time comes xx

trish1955
20-08-14, 12:57
Well week three and I told you I decided to start low 12.5 I did that two weeks up last night to 25 and having an awful time my anxiety and mind are on high alert and I am only on day three today will be on 25 please god let it give me some realeave I ave only one Diaz left they not give me no more gave me propanal o am scared cuts never took it before and I scared of medication as it is the sertaline was a brav move for me xxxxbloody sat rocking back and forth don't no why but it helps a little crazy I no

Joexgee
25-09-14, 20:34
hi trish, just read your post, and it sounds like we are very alike! i have just been prescribed 50mg sertraline today and i am petrified of starting them. you haven't posted for a while, i hope your journey with them has improved for you. take care x joe

Jang
25-09-14, 22:45
I've been taking 50 mg now for 4 weeks and over the last few day I've been feeling so much better. I can honestly say it's worth it. I felt dreadful for the first 2 weeks and nearly stopped taking the tablets. But I had taken time off work to sort myself out and thought if I don't stick with it now I'll be missing the one chance I have. My job is very important to me and I was sure I would lose it if I couldn't control my awful anxiety and feeling tired and constantly unwell over the last year or so. I was so depressed but couldn't see it. Holland and Barrett made a fortune out of me! It's the best thing I've done starting this medication. Stick with it, the side effects mostly go after 2 weeks and by week 4 you should feel much better. Good luck.