PDA

View Full Version : Hi I'm New

stuwhett
23-07-14, 10:58
Hi

I'm 41 and have lived with panic and anxiety through most of my life. There have been periods of my life that have been very difficult but for about the last 10 years things have been pretty good, that was until about 2 months ago. Whilst driving through Poland with my family I had a massive Anxiety attack and felt like I was losing control, It came completely out of the blue and ever since has sent me on a downward spiral.
I've been to the doctors and have started taking Fluoxetine 20mg. I have taken these AD's before, a few years ago, and they worked well. I've been on them now for 17 days and they have really affected me. I feel a lot worse, very low mood, panicky and not sleeping well. I've also got diarrhea and feel sick at times as well as feeling totally wiped out. I do have some ok days but I'm really struggling right now. I've got a young family and a job and really need to get back on track asap.

David_2219
23-07-14, 14:44
Hi Stu,

I'm sure everyone on these forums can relate to your experience, I know I certainly can. Sounds like you had a really good 10-year period of progress which is a real achievement. I would try and draw strength from that and think back to what really helped you at that time - sounds like the medication helped well but will probably take some time to kick back in but I would stick with it.

I'm no expert on AD's, in fact I'm very knew to them - I'm currently on Amitriptyline for anxiety and have been for a month but my GP wants me to try Lustral 50mg as a longer term medication. I tried them for 6 days once and I felt awful but I keep reading how good they are for certain people after a few weeks so I try and draw strength from that as I contemplate trying them again.

Anyway I would give it another couple of weeks and see your GP if no change.

In the really difficult moments, I try and pause and let the feelings wash over me if I can until they lessen, and think back to when I felt normal and the world was clear rather than foggy and menacing.

During the tough times I just want to talk to someone who knows exactly how it feels but it's not easy finding people who do, yet there seems to be thousands on this website so use these forums for support as there are loads of us in the same boat but with the same objective - to get well and live the life we deserve.

So for now, stand firm, confront it but don't fight it, think of it like fog - it's hard to see through at the moment but soon it will lift and the sun will be out again.

Very Best Wishes.

aprilmoon
23-07-14, 15:19
Hi David and Stuff
Just wanted to welcome you both to the site
You're definitely not on your own :)

---------- Post added at 15:19 ---------- Previous post was at 15:18 ----------

Sorry Stu !!

stuwhett
24-07-14, 08:22
Thank you David and April for your words of encouragement and support.

Arum
24-07-14, 10:13
stu, I use to ge panic attacks also. I found a way to get rid of them permanently using a technique that I was able to administer myself. It's simple. No need to leave the house or buy anything. :)

David_2219
24-07-14, 11:01
Hi Arum - what's your remedy for panic attacks then? Sounds good...

stuwhett
24-07-14, 11:17
Hi Arum

It would be good to learn some techniques that will help me long term.

Right now I feel completely done in, which to be honest I think is more down to the meds than anything else. Just need to let them take their course and coupled with therapy that i'm starting next week hopefully i'll start feeling better.

Arum
24-07-14, 13:17
Stu, I had serious depression for years, along with anxiety due to abuse. Many times I thought of harming myself, but I knew that was not the answer. I went to an acupuncturist, and although I loved that type of therapy, it was too costly, and it didn't really help long term. It was like throwing a thimble of water on a blazing fire. However right before she started with the needles,(which I didn't mind at all), she showed me a technique which actually changed my life. EFT. "Emotional Freedom Technique". You may have heard of it. It is actually acupuncture without the needles, it's free, you do it yourself, and it is permanent. Still, it only works, if you use it. As the years pass I think it will do serious harm to the drug industry. Regardless of how effective it is their are probably only certain people who will take advantage of it. It seems that we live in a world where many think that relief can only come through medication, and medication they may feel in the simpler way.

---------- Post added at 05:17 ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 ----------

I'm not saying that medication is never the answer, sometimes it is. Still, it's nice to have a natural answer if it can help.