PDA

View Full Version : Health Anxiety Taking over.

claireypoo
23-07-14, 13:07
Okay, I *know* I have anxiety. I have had it since 2006. I have had lots of horrible symptoms which I have learned over the years were (despite my carastrophising) caused by anxiety.

I went to see my GP yesterday following my disastrous gastroscopy attempt on Friday and she has referred me to a consultant gastroenterologist (long wait though).

I explained to her that I couldn't think around my health obsession this time. Usually I can rationalise eventually, but this time I'm stuck because my symptoms won't go away (acid burning heat in stomach, excessive burping, upper back pain - between shoulder blades, upper abdo bloating, urge to cough for no reason and right rib discomfort) and new ones have arisen. (nausea, numb hands, tingling lips).

My GP says this *could* all be from anxiety but wants to refer me as I can't be scoped now and she says it will hopefully rule things out and put my mind at rest. She also offered me some relaxation exercises. And gave me a hug when I started bawling! (she's really nice). She said no matter what may or may not be wrong with you we need to address the anxiety which is severe.

The thing is - I have had nausea and heartburn before (I looked at some old posts on here from 2006). I mention it, but I haven't had it very much so the fact that I have it so much now worries me. I have tied myself up in knots about this, thinking it is cancer, (stomach or oesophagus) and I feel like a failure because if I could have just tolerated the scope, on Friday, I'd KNOW now what is going on. I keep getting stuck in a loop. "if only I had had the scope" over and over and over. I am terrified my symptoms are sinister and after googling it would seem that they could be!

Sorry to ramble on. My questions are these, have any of you health anxers had symptoms that change like mine or had new symptoms that you don't usually suffer from? And has anyone been fully referred to a gastroenterologist for digestive troubles?

I am trying to relax today. No googling, and trying to ignore the fact I feel like dog doo. Which is tough because I do feel like dog doo.

I have a feeling my anxiety levels are so high they may even be as bad as when I first got anxiety. Has anyone been like that, years later?

I'm wondering how bad my health anxiety might get. I am completely obsessed with cancer(s) at the moment.

My partner is good but running out of patience because he tells me the same things a hundred times a day and it seems like I'm ignoring him. I'm not but my mind is like a broken record.

Sorry for rambling on.

Claireypoo x

---------- Post added at 13:07 ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 ----------

It's only since I tried to stop googling and checking that I realise how much I do it.

Checked 3 times. (without even thinking about it) Google twice in last ten minutes (again barely conscious of it. ) :(

Dolphin8808
23-07-14, 13:54
I am googler as well. Not always but as soon as I have a new ailment, I hit google and hit it alllll day long. Just hoping for that bit of reassurance. I often find myself putting in symptoms then scanning down the results page hoping to not see any page that says anything about cancer.

claireypoo
23-07-14, 14:03
Hey Dani, :) Seems to me they ALL state "and rarely, it can be a sign of cancer" at the end. :( Look up a pain you don't have, sure enough in 99 percent of cases there it is. Do I know that? Yes. Does it stop me worrying? No! Arrrrrrrgh. X I am finding I am more anxious today by trying not to Google. :/ x