PDA

View Full Version : Hello I'm new here

juicybutton
23-07-14, 17:39
Hi Everyone.

I have depression and chronic anxiety, also I think health anxiety.

I have had a diagnosis of depression for about 18 years but I think I've had it since my teens.
The last year has been particularly bad I was off sick from my job then lost it about four months ago.

I especially struggle with anxiety and panic attacks, I have the viscous circle of worry, panic. I worry about my heart and palpitations and I get fixated on it even though I have been checked and given the all clear the reassurance didn't last long.

I am under the mental health team but I don't feel they are helping or listening to me. I have tried to explain to them "until I can face the panic attacks and break the cycle of negative thinking and thoughts that the panic attacks will harm me, how can I begin to get better" But my doctor seems to think none of there intervention will help ? I have asked for cbt or psychology. My gp is supportive which is good.

I don't really live I survive barely a lot of the time. There is no pattern to my anxiety so it is impossible to predict or plan anything.

I'm on Propranolol, Qutiepen, and Pregablin I recently came off, of Sertraline as I felt it made me worse especially make the palpitations worse.

Any input or feedback would be extremely welcome.

Thank you. :)

briandel
23-07-14, 18:14
Hello Juicy,
I to just came off that med as it made my panic and anxiety worse. Currently I am going through a hard time and find myself feeling helpless. Been on many meds in the past, and none seem to work. I came across this site and realize I am not alone and that help is out there.

HalfJack
23-07-14, 19:06
What are the mental health team working with you on?
I'm about to start my first therapy in years next week. My last therapist was rubbish, had her head in the clouds, she could barely hold a coherent conversation lol.

OH and hello! Nice to meet you :D

---------- Post added at 19:06 ---------- Previous post was at 18:58 ----------

If it makes you feel any better I've had palpitations on and off for 9 years, My oxygen levels and heart couldn't be healthier. It used to panic me, but now not so much. It's not about time though, just about you reaching the point where you can stop yourself from fixating on it or whatever helps you cope.

juicybutton
23-07-14, 19:50
What are the mental health team working with you on?
I'm about to start my first therapy in years next week. My last therapist was rubbish, had her head in the clouds, she could barely hold a coherent conversation lol.

OH and hello! Nice to meet you :D

---------- Post added at 19:06 ---------- Previous post was at 18:58 ----------

If it makes you feel any better I've had palpitations on and off for 9 years, My oxygen levels and heart couldn't be healthier. It used to panic me, but now not so much. It's not about time though, just about you reaching the point where you can stop yourself from fixating on it or whatever helps you cope.

Hi and thanks for the reply.

All the mental health team are doing are just monitoring me looking at my meds. I had a assessment with a psychologist but they aren't offering any therapy at the moment all they say is that services are being cut everyone's affected its a difficult time. The doctor I see I feel he doesn't understand or see how ill I really am.

Yes palpitations are awful aren't they ive had them for years too but this last year I have really had a difficult time.

I hope you get on well with the new therapist and you get some benefit. Good luck.

aprilmoon
23-07-14, 20:06
Hi
Its so hard with all these cuts to services isn't it?
Mental health just seems like an easy target to me.
I've had a really bad time with anxiety,but feel as though I'm starting to come out the other side now.Im on a combo of 3 meds,but different ones to you.
Sorry about your job.At least there's people on here who understand what its really like,because its hard to explain sometimes isn't it.?
Sending best wishes to you :)

applecore
23-07-14, 20:30
So sorry to hear of all you're going through. It's good that you're here though - I am a newbie too, but have already had great support.

I also have long term depression and have recently developed severe social anxiety. Medication keeps me well enough to work part-time, but my social life is virtually nil, and I have lost many friends, and opportunities for friendship, because of my shyness and reluctance to go out, apart from to work.

Have you ever tried mindfulness meditation? It's really the only thing that has worked for me. You learn to do it as part of a group, then carry on yourself, using CDs. If you can make a lifelong commitment to it, it can really transform things. The only good periods I have ever had have been when I have been meditating regularly. You need quite a bit of will power though, which I don't really have, but just a few minutes each day can be enough to keep you ticking over.

Do hope things improve for you soon.

---------- Post added at 20:30 ---------- Previous post was at 20:28 ----------

Hi Everyone.

I don't really live I survive barely a lot of the time.

Yep, this is how it is for me too.

juicybutton
23-07-14, 22:32
So sorry to hear of all you're going through. It's good that you're here though - I am a newbie too, but have already had great support.

I also have long term depression and have recently developed severe social anxiety. Medication keeps me well enough to work part-time, but my social life is virtually nil, and I have lost many friends, and opportunities for friendship, because of my shyness and reluctance to go out, apart from to work.

Have you ever tried mindfulness meditation? It's really the only thing that has worked for me. You learn to do it as part of a group, then carry on yourself, using CDs. If you can make a lifelong commitment to it, it can really transform things. The only good periods I have ever had have been when I have been meditating regularly. You need quite a bit of will power though, which I don't really have, but just a few minutes each day can be enough to keep you ticking over.

Do hope things improve for you soon.

---------- Post added at 20:30 ---------- Previous post was at 20:28 ----------

Yep, this is how it is for me too.

Hi thanks for your reply and everyone else who has replied.

With regards to friends I have lost friends in the past of course it is difficult but I think if they can't support you and understand are they really worth it.

I have been doing yoga I find the excercise good but the breathing and relaxation parts very hard i just can't switch off and when i lie down I can get palpitations :weep:

But i do have some determination from somewhere and I won't give in.

All the best to you too