PDA

View Full Version : Hello and what condition is highly strung catogorized as?

grozlin
23-07-14, 19:49
Hi, My name is Graham and im 35 years old. I have suffered with anxiety and depression since my early teens and it's slowly been getting worse ever since then. These days it makes going to work very hard each morning. The weekends I have to push myself to leave the house. I avoided the doctors for years because all they ever want to do is send you on counselling courses. I did this once. This involved 1-1 counselling and then also a group therapy. I was completely open to it but nothing worked. The group therapy was nice but only for the reason that it was nice to meet other people that had similar or worse problems. I felt less alone. I also tried SSRI's but they just made me feel worse in various different ways. After these sessions and years of reading self help guides and listening to hypnosis audio I've also developed a large dislike of cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT). I find it overly simplistic and patronising. I describe it as a posh way of saying "When you notice negative thoughts, think happy thoughts instead". These days im on pregabalin which does help with the generalized anxiety somewhat but not as much as I'd hoped. It's the first thing that has had any real effect.

I have a question if anybody feels like answering? I would describe myself as highly strung sometimes. I don't take criticism well and things can upset me easily and I can feel like I cant cope sometimes. My conscience mind knows that whatever it is im upset about is silly but my unconscious can continue to feel upset for sometime afterwards. What medical condition would you say this is? The closest I can think is low self esteem. The trouble is most therapy's I've read for self esteem are a bit woolly. Things like "Be nice to yourself" and "Treat yourself". I treated myself to a £1000 laptop. That didn't help much, lol.

AnxietyDJ
23-07-14, 19:54
Hi Graham, welcome to the site! :welcome:

I definitely know what you mean with regards to being more upset about things than I should... I also read way too much into people's words and actions all the time, and even though I know it's stupid, I still can't help but do it.

The site is full of really friendly and helpful people, so I hope you can find some comfort here :)

aprilmoon
23-07-14, 20:19
Hi Graham
It sounds like you could be a sensitive person,and there's nothing wrong with that.
Sensitive people are often creative,maybe musically, or artistically, they can also make really good friends.
Being kind to yourself is something we should all strive to do,partly because if we do,we can offer more to others because we are recharged,and also because ,if we value ourselves,then others will.

David_2219
24-07-14, 11:05
Hi Graham - I totally identify with your condition, I'm very similar in many ways...

Can I ask how long you tried the SSRI's for and what strength?

Like you I'm in favour of CBT and counselling but sometimes it doesn't help when you have instant and unwelcome physical reactions to anxious situations...

Best Wishes