PDA

View Full Version : Pain behind sternum

jayware33
24-07-14, 15:39
I suffer from reflux and on medication for it.
Recently been experiencing new pain daily, some days longer and intense than others. Had an ECG only a few weeks ago and was clear for an unrelated problem.
The pain feels sharp and deep behind my sternum area.
The health anxiety saying it's cardiac pain but the rational side of me saying it's reflux or spasms.
Any advice?

Dolphin8808
24-07-14, 16:08
Remember, if it was a heart attack, it would have already shown itself as such, it would not come and go.

Also, you have to remember that your nerves from your spine are like tree branches, so the nerves spread out from the spine and come around to the front of the chest. That means, its very possible for back issues to cause chest pain.

Also esophagus spasms and pain is very common behind the sternum, that is the most common cause for that pain.

I do know how it work with health anxiety, we never think its something so simple but it truly is.

SerendipityFlower
26-07-14, 07:54
Hi hun,
I want you to know im sure what you are experiencing is anxiety related,try to remember if it was anything serious,im sure the symptoms would of presented themselves alot more by now :)
Try to take deep breaths and drift your mind away to think about things that evoke positive emotions in you,your own happy place :) xxxxxx