PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone please help

AdamG
24-07-14, 22:31
Hi, I am suffering from what I deem a level 7 panic attack. I just get so scared. I am 28 years old and only started feeling like this about 4 months ago. I have so many physical symptoms and I am convinced I am having a heart attack. The doctors say I will not have a heart attack but I just get so scared because I live on my own. Thanks in advance

lior
24-07-14, 22:40
This isn't a heart attack, this is you freaking out. Deep breaths... you are going to be fine... don't forget to breathe all the way out

spuder
24-07-14, 22:45
Panic attacks are horrible deep breaths I know its easy said then done but u will be fine:hugs::hugs:

AdamG
24-07-14, 22:47
Thats what everyone always says - Too breath but I just know something bad is going to happen. This is the first time I have ever asked for help on something like this. I am really sorry to bother other people on here but I just lose control so badly and never know what the best thing to do is. I get the most scared when I go dizzy and feel as if I am about to pass out. I am on a 2 month waiting list for CBT but I know I really need help now. Sorry once again

Ruby13
24-07-14, 23:07
Do not apologise for posting on here, you are no way bothering anyone, it is good that you are here. Panic attacks are frightening. You will not have a heart attack, but it is normal to feel like you may have one, it is just your extreme panic. It is supposed to help if you can breath into a paper bag, try to regulate your breathing and slow it down. Calm, slow breathing and also try to focus on something pleasant, walking in the park, what can you see on your walk. Or imagine lying on a beach and hearing the calm lapping of the water.

Keep us updated on your progress, we will all be hear for you.

AdamG
24-07-14, 23:20
It must seem so silly but I dont even know why I have these attacks. It can happen whatever I am doing and wherever I am. I think if I could only just find out the trigger then I may be able to avoid this happening. I was very scared of going outside of my bedroom until a couple of months ago but managed to get past that (I dont know how). I have since returned to work and everything seemed Ok(ish). I now feel like these attacks are happening more often and more aggressively again. My doctor refuses to check my heart again but I still maintain there must be something wrong with me and just want to be checked. Thank you all for being so kind already, it must be annoying to read a newbies comments but I appreciate all your help.

lior
25-07-14, 00:11
Not at all - newbies or not, that doesn't matter at all.

Your doctor said your heart is fine. It's your anxiety that's the health problem. Are you going to any sort of therapy? That will probably help you find out why you are anxious.

jennywren13
25-07-14, 06:09
I can relate to everything you are saying Adam. I think we all can.

If only we knew how to solve these horrendous attacks, wouldn't life be wonderful.

I worry about all the physical symptoms too, you're not alone. I am fearful of collapsing in front of my kids and scaring them. We are all afraid of the worst case scenarios.

It's only panic - it cannot hurt you. Try and ride it out. It will eventually start to dissipate, it always does.

I have found this board so helpful and comforting. Reach out whenever you need reassurance.[COLOR="blue"]

fallingstar
25-07-14, 19:07
Adam,

I have been having panic attacks (diagnosed with panic disorder I've gotten so many, so many times a day/week) for 11 years!
I'm proof that those "heart attack" moments that you swear you are having are not really heart attacks. For 11 years I've looked up symptoms upon symptoms (always seemed to help me... seeing what I was feeling on a long list of symptoms that other anxious people experienced and were ok). Anyway, those heart palpitations, flutters, tightness in your chest... it all goes away once you stop hyperventilating and the panic attack subsides. I still have a habit of putting my fingers up to my neck to record my pulse. I feel it beating like a madman, thinking my jugular is going to beat right out of my neck... then guess what? A few minutes later, it feels like a calm soothing beating stream. Just takes time. My suggestion? Find something to keep your mind occupied during attacks. And in my WORST days, brown paper bag breathing honestly helped. And I didn't care what people around me thought... it just helped so much! Always kept one in my car.

Hope you're feeling better!
-A fellow 28 year old anxious person :hugs: