PDA

View Full Version : new here...need some reassurance

jkd408
25-07-14, 00:52
Hi, I thought this website would be helpful with my situation. It all started two weeks ago when my left leg started hurting out nowhere. I ended up googling, and I started freaking out about blood clots. The reason being is that I am obese and I have desk job (some the risk factors for blood clots). I then made a dr. appointment for the next week. So during the whole week my anxiety level stayed high. A couple of days before my appointment, I woke up with pain in my left ankle for no reason whatsoever. It felt like I had twisted or turned my ankle but I don't remember doing so. The ankle was also little discolored and swollen compared to the other.

This made my anxiety and stress even worse. When I got to the appointment my dr looked at my leg and said it wasn't a blood clot. i told her i was freaked it was a blood clot and i broke down. She then ordered an ultrasound on the leg and it came back negative for blood clots today. My dr then ended up prescribing me sertraline 25 MG and referral to mental health because I have had some anxiety before this situation.

The problem is I keep thinking maybe the blood clot was missed during the ultrasound and I am also afraid to start the medication. Leg is still hurting and ankle is swollen for the past couple of days

Carnation
25-07-14, 01:05
The first rule of thumb as said many, many times on here, is not to Google!
You will end up thinking you have got all sorts of Diseases and become so paranoid at the least mark or spot. You have been checked by the Doctor and everything is fine. Bruises can sometimes look very similar to a blood clot, but your Doctor must think you need some help with your Anxiety. Just please don't Google, it will make you feel sooo much worse.:)

swanick15
25-07-14, 01:06
Have a very careful read of this it may be the answer your looking for;
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/216095.php

jkd408
25-07-14, 01:21
thank you for the replies. aaronc151196 its more of a bruise and slight swelling.

Why cant I just accept what my dr has told me and get on with my life?

Carnation
25-07-14, 01:23
Because you are scared that something terrible is going to happen to you.
It is called Anxiety.