PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had an abdominal CT scan?

MM
25-07-14, 00:55
Hi everyone,

In the morning I have to get an abdominal/pelvic CT scan. I'm underweight due to not having an appetite for years. I have to drink 900mL (around 30 oz) of barium liquid before the test and I'm scared I won't be able to drink it all. I'm also not too fond of the IV and having to hold my breath for short periods of time, as I am usually breathless from anxiety. Most of all I'm terrified that I'll receive bad results (check out my other thread if you're wondering why I'm getting the CT)

I would just like to hear anyone's experience with the scan. Thanks.

Daisy Sue
25-07-14, 01:26
Hiya.. I've had a few of these. The barium is far more pleasant these days than it used to be, and they offer you cordials to add to it to make it better. Just take your time over it, don't gulp it, read a magazine or book while drinking it to distract you. The IV is done in a matter of seconds. See if you're allowed to take an mp3 & earphones in with you - if you are, it can help a lot. I took a cd in when I had an MRI last year and it made me relax, and passed the time.

If it's just the pelvic area they're scanning, it shouldn't take long anyway.

Lots of luck... let us know how it goes. x

MM
25-07-14, 02:12
Hiya.. I've had a few of these. The barium is far more pleasant these days than it used to be, and they offer you cordials to add to it to make it better. Just take your time over it, don't gulp it, read a magazine or book while drinking it to distract you. The IV is done in a matter of seconds. See if you're allowed to take an mp3 & earphones in with you - if you are, it can help a lot. I took a cd in when I had an MRI last year and it made me relax, and passed the time.

Thanks so much. I love your replies :), they're so straightforward and helpful!

I already have the barium in my refrigerator, I have to drink it before even going to the place. I keep picturing a chaotic morning of frantically having to gulp down this drink, but you're right it doesnt have to be that way! I'll put on the TV maybe be on my computer and drink it until its done :) (while keeping an eye on the time of course)

I'll definitely update afterwards :D