PDA

View Full Version : High blood pressure reading at home?

starfire
25-07-14, 08:29
So I have been totally plagued with body checking lately... Checking blood pressure like 30 times a day (I know, I know). Anyway, I was checking today and it was normal… then it suddenly shot up to SUPER high, like 180/160. I felt fine. No headache, no acute anxiety, no pain, nothing. When I checked again in literally 30 seconds/1 minute, it was normal again (90/50).

Was this just a faulty reading or is something wrong? I should edit to say, this is an electric BP machine that you plug in, etc. I don't actually know how to read/take BP like with one of those squeezy BP pumps they use at the doctors. ^^

tharidler
25-07-14, 10:46
hi there

I have a blood pressure pump and I used to use it all the time and I would also check my heart rate manually maybe 30-40 times a day one thing with anxiety we don't always know that it's operating as we don't need a full blown attack for it to affect us also I remember with my bp pump that you should leave at least ten minutes in between readings and not have caffine or alcohol or a bath for at least an hour prior to testing and even a meal can affect it also certain times of day and night will be different to other times I just wanted to point out there are a lot of variables and that is why a doctor spends so long in training as they know how to work out the true data and all the reasons why it may go up and down personally it took some time for me to stop this as it's part of my health anxiety amongst other things I hope this helps if not I hope that it wasn't too boring :)

yenool
25-07-14, 11:32
False reading, anxiety or a combination of both.

Stop taking it, there is no need.