PDA

View Full Version : Second time on citalopram not working

john453
26-07-14, 20:19
I took various ssris for 4 years straight to treat ocd/social anxiety with great success. Looking back trying out different meds 20mg Citalopram was the one I felt best on. Not once did any of the ssris I had tried poop out on me or lose any effectiveness. Anyhow the last year of taking ads I was taking paxil which took me a full year to taper off of. I felt at the time I had worked through many of issues and wanted to be med free. That was a year ago and the past 12 months have been the worst of my life. Even after the withdrawal symptoms subsided after my taper like the zaps, dizziness, and insomnia, it seems like my anxiety and ocd have become worse than ever with mood swings all throughout the day. Also, the worst symptom was this crazy inner restlessness feeling like I wanted to jump out of my skin that I would get.I would get soooo agitated some days for no reason and then be fine two hours later. In some ways I felt worse than I ever did before I even took my first med (lexapro). I decided 8 weeks ago that I am probably someone that may need medication for the rest of their to life, and decided to get back on ssris. I chose Citalopram (celexa) because I had liked the way I felt the best out of the ones I tried. Started on 10mg for 6 weeks, and 15mg for the last two weeks. After 8 weeks I feel somewhat better but nowhere near as good as I did when I took Citalopram for 6 months 3 years ago. Before I felt a nice mood boost, I would smile, I was a bubbly guy even. I felt great. Now the agitation is somewhat better, anxiety a little improved, but I still have several days of the week where I feel so down for a god portion of the day for no reason. I never had that problem on Citalopram before. I' m really worried that it wont work like it did before after reading many people post online that the second time they took an ssri it didn't work for them even if it hadn't pooped out on them in the past. I'm at my wits end it's been such a bad year and I want my life back. I'm really hoping maybe it's just going to take a bit longer to feel better. Has anyone had an ssri take longer to work the second time? Thanks.

Sober2000june
26-07-14, 20:37
Hi John, I have been on cit for 3 month s now. Started on 5 then 10 to 15 and now just recently upto 20mg. Hoping I am making a bit of progress now. Stick with it my friend.
Paul

yenool
27-07-14, 20:21
I think you need to give it a bit longer really. Maybe you might even need a higher dose in the long run as well?

The second time I took Sertraline I required a much higher dose than the first time. 50mg vs 150mg if I remember correctly.

john453
27-07-14, 21:37
I think you need to give it a bit longer really. Maybe you might even need a higher dose in the long run as well?

The second time I took Sertraline I required a much higher dose than the first time. 50mg vs 150mg if I remember correctly.

Thank you for the reply yenool. A couple questions for you: Did you find it took longer to work the second time you took the Sertraline. Also, when it did kick in did it work just as as well the first time? And finally, in between periods you weren't using Sertraline, were you using any other ssri? Thanks.

yenool
28-07-14, 18:21
Thank you for the reply yenool. A couple questions for you: Did you find it took longer to work the second time you took the Sertraline. Also, when it did kick in did it work just as as well the first time? And finally, in between periods you weren't using Sertraline, were you using any other ssri? Thanks.

I used other drugs inbetween I'm sure but I can't remember which ones.

I think generally it didn't work as well the second time around to be fair.