PDA

View Full Version : intelligent and imaginative

Toniandhollie
27-07-14, 13:42
It just occured to me that there are alot of people on this site who seem to be really intelligent and write eloquently ... do you think this is a contributing factor to panic and anxiety.
My Hols is intelligent but also talented in art and writes beautifully. I, on the other hand, whilst being intelligent, I am an Arabic interpreter, lack imagination, could this by why, although I am a worrier by nature, it has not affected my life?

susan64
27-07-14, 14:06
Hi, I too agree there are a lot of people who express their feelings eloquently, my mums take on anxiety is that it's people who are very emotionally connected, therefore feel everything more acutely. I've always been a very emotional person and I too suffered from school phobia like your daughter, who btw sounds to be doing very well by attending school for short periods now! I found my anxiety much easier to deal with when all my boys were young, since I've had an empty nest I focus more on me! I think I need grandchildren!
I. Hope Hollie continues to improve with the school situation

Fishmanpa
27-07-14, 14:12
It just occured to me that there are alot of people on this site who seem to be really intelligent and write eloquently ... do you think this is a contributing factor to panic and anxiety.
My Hols is intelligent but also talented in art and writes beautifully. I, on the other hand, whilst being intelligent, I am an Arabic interpreter, lack imagination, could this by why, although I am a worrier by nature, it has not affected my life?

Interesting question. In my opinion, I don't think there's a correlation. There is a broad cross section of individuals on this site and it most certainly appears that anxiety disorder is indiscriminate in who it affects and no different than the way any other illness, physical or mental, affects someone. That being said, a strong inner strength can help when using the tools needed to quell the attacks (as in CBT techniques) as focus and logic are necessary in order to help them work.

Positive thoughts

Toniandhollie
27-07-14, 14:26
thankyou, interesting ... if I was a good few years younger this is definately a field I would have liked to work in ...

leolight
18-08-14, 20:20
Toniandhollie I agree with you. I think it is because we are more connected to emotions, my therapist thinks that I can describe my emotions and how it makes me feel very well. I think we are also more empathetic because we know what its like to struggle. I also find it fascinating and would of looked into this field too if I was younger.

Sunflower2
18-08-14, 22:51
I agree with you in a way.. But I do think that it's not as clear cut as creative people are more likely to struggle mentally. I play piano and I also paint/sketch etc and did architecture, but I have quite bad anxiety. I find that doing these things makes me focus so much on a single thing that all the chatter of my mind is quiet. To me it's like an outlet of my emotions and gives me some calmness!

MyNameIsTerry
19-08-14, 04:12
I think so, I've read this elsewhere that people more likely to be creative are more likely to experience anxiety & depression.

I should also say that I agree with FMP that these disorders are are indiscriminate but it just seems that you hear more about creative types or analytical thinkers being affected.

You mentioned you would like to work in this field if you were younger. To fully qualify through the BACP route as a therapist, it can take 2 years through seperate courses. It's not mandatory to have psychology degrees in this field. There are charities that need help, one I used to attend trained it's meeting coordinators from the pool of attendees as their philosophy is that you need to go there to understand it best and this is often not seen in the psychology world. They would train people via the NVQ route.

leolight
22-08-14, 10:32
I think so, I've read this elsewhere that people more likely to be creative are more likely to experience anxiety & depression.

I should also say that I agree with FMP that these disorders are are indiscriminate but it just seems that you hear more about creative types or analytical thinkers being affected.

You mentioned you would like to work in this field if you were younger. To fully qualify through the BACP route as a therapist, it can take 2 years through seperate courses. It's not mandatory to have psychology degrees in this field. There are charities that need help, one I used to attend trained it's meeting coordinators from the pool of attendees as their philosophy is that you need to go there to understand it best and this is often not seen in the psychology world. They would train people via the NVQ route.

How did you find a BACP training course? I have never heard of this before and think it could be something that I might be interested in, particularly since it wouldn't involve me having to go back to university.

MyNameIsTerry
23-08-14, 06:45
How did you find a BACP training course? I have never heard of this before and think it could be something that I might be interested in, particularly since it wouldn't involve me having to go back to university.

Have a look at this:

http://www.bacp.co.uk/crs/Training/careersincounselling.php

There is a diploma level that gets you their student membership and includes 100 supervised hours working with clients. You can achieve this in 1-3 years dependant on whether you study all 3 levels and whether you take the level 3 as a full time or part time course. So, you can chop it down to 2 years if you studt full time or don't need all 3 levels anyway.

It would be worth speaking to them because their is a Bill of Parliament currently being discussed to regulate this sector which is looking towards using the association that governs the paramedics (amongst other professions) so it is very unclear what will happen in the future but there are a lot of online diploma therapists out there and I doubt the government will be putting them straight out of work so I suspect they will be signed into any new register and booted off over time. The BACP may be able to offer advice on this and how their framework will prevent those qualified via their route from falling foul of this.

Good luck, we always need more people like you! My CBT therapist fully agreed that you have to suffer from these disorders to truly appreciate their impact.