PDA

View Full Version : Hello all

Missjay
27-07-14, 22:47
Hi I'm Hayley I have suffered with panic disorder for the last 24 years I've had times when I thought I had won but they seem to find me with a vengeance I have been on different medications non at the moment I also suffer with a fear of taking medications it's all got a little bit horrible just lately as my 15 year old daughter has started to have panic attacks and I just feel awful if this is my fault and worse still my problems have worsened when I just want to be strong for her sorry this is long I don't ever usually speak to anyone about this but I'm nearly 40 now and I just want a normal life where I'm not afraid ti leave the house and be a good role model for my daughter I'm hoping speaking here might help x

Annie0904
27-07-14, 22:48
Hi :welcome:

HalfJack
27-07-14, 23:20
Being here has helped me a lot, hope you find what you need xx

Missjay
28-07-14, 09:27
Thank you to both of you for the welcome just reading through here helped me through a rough night I'm so glad I found this site x

aprilmoon
28-07-14, 10:40
Hi and welcome :)

Jenwales
28-07-14, 10:49
Hi
Have you tried cognitive behaviour therapy? In my pre-teens I had panic attacks constantly and I read a book called overcoming panic, the exercise in the book helped me to get used to panic attacks and get rid of them.
If you go on a website called getselfhelp it also has a free download for help when you're having a panic attack (the link should be on this forum somewhere if you get stuck)
I used to have a panic attack in a school assembley and be standing there feeling terrible and I used the exercies in the book to calm me down and get through it. I used to breathe in and visualise a number and then breathe out and the colour changed. I took another breathe and changed to number two.. and so on.

If I managed to get over my panic attacks with no help from doctors (didnt diagnose me right!!!!!) then I have every trust and faith that anyone else can. I have general anxiety now but I am getting better
We all have our bad days and our set backs

Missjay
28-07-14, 11:01
Hi Jen thank you for the recommendation about the book will definitely look that up I've had a couple of courses of cbt in my twentys and they did help for a while just going through a really rough patch at the mo so happy I have found this site I spent most of the night reading through different threads I know this will sound so cheesy lol but it's the first time I have ever felt not alone and crazy and that there are other people just like me It's amazing you helped yourself with your panic attacks I know how hard it is xxx