PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with intrusive thoughts

binky
28-07-14, 12:12
Since march I've been struggling with intrusive thoughts, some days they are so bad that it's almost constant and other days i hardly get any and they don't bother me. I don't understand how the same thought can have such different reactions from my own body and mind...

Also I've found that in the days after they've been pretty much constant and they start to lessen that I almost miss / expect them to start up again. Does anyone else have this??

What have you all found works for you in dealing with them? apologies for posting this again after i deleted the last post, i just wasn't happy with the way i worded it last time and thought it better to start it again...

I really struggle with these intrusive thoughts and how awful they make me feel all the time... i feel like i'm in a constant state of hight alert ready and waiting for a thought to come so i can either deal with it or let it consume me...

argghhh! so frustrating!!

unfitwellhappy
28-07-14, 12:26
Ello Binky!

With me it all depends on what the intrusive thoughts are. If it's something I can actually do something about then I will do it, but if it's just random intrusive thoughts I will do anything at all that I know will give me some distraction from them.

I walk a lot, generally listening to a good podcast helps.

Talking helps too - preferably with someone who has some idea of what you are going through.

More than happy to have a chat if you ever need one :)

Andy

James244
28-07-14, 13:27
By "intrusive thoughts" do you mean, that your mind thinks about weird unpleasant and upsetting things that you don't want to think about, but you keep catching yourself thinking them and find it hard to stop? Maybe this is a sign that your mind has so little to occupy itself with that it takes up that mantel itself. Obviously I don't know what sort of life you lead, but would I be right in thinking that you only think and feel these things when you're alone and haven't got anything else to think about?

unfitwellhappy
28-07-14, 13:53
You are correct in your assumptions. It does get worse when i'm on my own..

.. the fact you recognise your thoughts as "intrusive" is a huge step.

You have to try to remind yourself that these thoughts can be safely ignored and that they will go away - well that's what I try to do anyway.

It's difficult but it works most of the time. :)

Andy

binky
28-07-14, 15:31
Thanks for replying guys.

for me they can happen at any time and yes when i mean intrusive thoughts I mean thoughts that i don't want about hurting people etc.

I do find distraction helps but not always and when i am about to go to sleep or i find myself stuck in traffic or there is a lul at work then I find they can come back without any warning..

some days are better than others but I'm sure that they are a major source of my anxiety as when they ease, i almost expect them to come back.. and then they do, it's a vicious cycle. I think i can only go about 5 - 10 mins at the moment without having a thought, it's tiring to say the least! and i do try to remind myself not to react but they can be so distressing that sometimes it is so hard not react.. especially when my brian is screaming at me that i want to hurt somone.. urgh it sucks!