PDA

View Full Version : Concern over my son (lymph nodes)

Tam itch
28-07-14, 13:18
Hello all, I suffer with health anxiety which by and large I have managed to overcome however I have struggling recently with feelings of anxiety over my sons health.
He is six and in march following a cold he had 2 raised lymph nodes on his neck, I took him to our gp who checked him over and found raised lymph nodes in his groin and armpit also. I was told to return in 2 weeks which we duly did, the nodes in his neck had gone down quite a bit and the nodes in his armpit and groin had returned completely to normal. He wasn't worried so in turn neither was I. However, the 2 nodes in his neck have not returned to normal, they are smaller than they were but still 1.5 cm approx, they have been bothering me for weeks so I took him back to the gp this morning who by now was concerned that they haven't shrunk right back, another check up showed no other raised nodes anywhere else, no temp, strong heartbeat, clear chest etc so the only cause for concern is the 2 lymph nodes in his neck. We have been referred to a paediatrician for ultrasound and biopsy on the nodes. I'm in bits, all my anxiety is back, racing heart, upset stomach etc and obsessive googling. Can anyone help or advise.

swanick15
29-07-14, 01:59
The fact that the other lymph nodes went down is a good sign as is the obvious lack of other symptoms. I'm presuming that you have come across lymphoma through the googling, but at 6 years old the chances of lymphoma at the that age although possible is rare. Sometimes after an infection it can take many weeks, months or even years for lymph nodes to go down and the most likely cause is the infectious cells still present in the lymphatic system. If you still worry about it being caused by cancer then I want you to remember that the 5 year survival rate for lymphoma is 95% and is most likely to be cured in children and young people. Just remember that the infection lingering is the most likely cause the GP is just being cautious try not to worry.

Tam itch
29-07-14, 19:35
Thankyou aaronc, that's helped me calm down a bit. I have stopped the googling, it really does make it worse. Im trying not to let my son see how worried I am but I find I'm watching him obsessively and worrying if he says he's tired or not hungry. I was so panicked at the thought of the biopsy but really it has to be better than feeling like this.

swanick15
30-07-14, 01:53
you're welcome sometimes I find that I need to be reassured so I use google but it quickly turns into my worst enemy. I understand that you are very concerned about the possibility of lymphoma but out of all the possibilities trust me it is the least likely. Your fears for your son are also completely natural, I'm cant relate to that feeling though I'm too young for kids yet I think! The biopsy will probs be an aspiration needle biopsy, just a cell or fluid sample to do the test. It won't to invasive but some kids hate needles I still do now, try not to worry It'll probs be because of the infection. Good luck ;)

Worried 24/7
30-07-14, 02:47
My two year old son has had big neck nodes for quite a while now and I occasionally panic about them as well....