PDA

View Full Version : Irregular twitching in ear

Dolphin8808
28-07-14, 15:31
Here we go again! SO over this crap. The last few days I Have noticed a very sporadic twitching in my ear that will last a few seconds then stop. It is NOT in time to my heartbeat but very sporadic and irregular. Seems to happen more if I lay on my left side. My ear also feels a bit full today, like pressure. I totally have myself worked up to it being a tumor.

Why do we do this to ourselves? Frustrating! And scary :( Going to see my Primary Care doc tomorrow. Hoping to figure something out. :unsure:

Fishmanpa
28-07-14, 15:44
We all get twitches. Anxiety sufferers more than most due to the super charged nervous system. Heck, I had one in my leg over the weekend that drove me batty (it's gone now) and I not a sufferer to any extent.

With all due respect, can I ask what the thought process is that turns a sporadic 2-3 second ear twitch into a tumor?

Positive thoughts

meche
28-07-14, 16:38
I used to be the queen of twitches! Still occassionally get them - very annoying. I once had a twitch in my eyelid that lasted 6 weeks - that was over 2 years ago and to my knowledge it was nothing to do with tumours. Round about the same time I was getting random twitches in my legs. These were quite violent twitches but my anxiety was so high at that point and my nervous system was under ALOT of pressure.

Sounds like it could just be earache or infection or nothing at all. Sometimes there isn't an explanation for these things. Hope you feel better soon. xx

Dolphin8808
28-07-14, 17:05
Thank you all... I know it sounds stupid when I actually say it. I read online about what can cause it and I read where it says it occasionally it could be a tumor near the inner ear that causes the twitching inside and the thumping noise that comes and goes.

A little background, my health anxiety revolves around cancer. So any ailment I have, I tend to relate back to it.

I have had so many "cancer" scares in my life with self diagnosing. And I always feel bad for doing so as I know there are many out there who truly suffer from this horrible disease and here I am scared about it without ever being diagnosed. But my thought process always take me back to being the one in a million odd chances.

Does that make sense?

Fishmanpa
28-07-14, 17:20
Does that make sense?

Sure. Cancer is scary. I know first hand. I also lost my grandfather and several friends to it. In reality, it's pretty rare. The chances you have something seriously wrong are pretty much nil to be honest. The truth is, if indeed something as serious as cancer strikes you in your life, you'll deal with it. In the mean time, seek help with your fears. What good would it be to worry your life away?

Let's put it this way. Say 30+ years from now, you're in your 50's maybe 60's. You've spent all that time in fear of cancer and it actually happens? Would all those years of worrying your life away be worth it just to finally say "I told you so"?

Positive thoughts

Dolphin8808
28-07-14, 17:52
You are very right, and I know you are. We worry so much about something that has not even happened. I often wonder if its due to our exposure, you turn on the TV, you see "cancer centers of america" or "get screening" etc. Its always in your face so its hard not to fear the diagnosis. I lost my father to it as well and man that was tough. I was so scared for him. Then to see him finally give up.

My health anxiety started long before that though, I think it just brought cancer to the forefront for my fears.

Such a vicious circle.

MidnightCalm
28-07-14, 18:07
I get ear twitching a lot, have done for years. I occasionally would get a plugged ear/ear full of water feeling.
My ear literally beats like a drum when it twitches, vibrating for anything up to 20 seconds but I'm not that worried about it.
Twitches are normal even in people that don't have anxiety and they are especially normal in people that do have anxiety.
I remember one of my first symptoms was the twitching, I also had it in my legs and you could see it. It looked like a bag of worms.
My doctor was never really concerned about it.

Fishmanpa
28-07-14, 18:24
You are very right, and I know you are. We worry so much about something that has not even happened. I often wonder if its due to our exposure, you turn on the TV, you see "cancer centers of america" or "get screening" etc. Its always in your face so its hard not to fear the diagnosis. I lost my father to it as well and man that was tough. I was so scared for him. Then to see him finally give up.

My health anxiety started long before that though, I think it just brought cancer to the forefront for my fears.

Such a vicious circle.

There's a thread on the panic attack boards about irrational thoughts. Take a look at that. It's these types of thoughts that are the basis for anxiety disorder IMO. That's why CBT works, as it's a way of training your mind to react differently to situations that make you go off with worry.

You're right in that our exposure through media keeps the triggers in front of you. But things like this are drama and everybody gets somewhat addicted to it right? ;)

Talk to your GP about CBT, therapy, meds or a combination. There are many on the boards that have gotten their dragon under control.

Positive thoughts

Dolphin8808
28-07-14, 20:04
Thank you both!

Midnight that is very reassuring to know its not uncommon and you are right about us prone to such high anxiety.

Thank you as well FMP ~ I will def look into it. I often am able to control it but I have sprees of a couple months when it all flairs up, then it all recedes again.

I think I need to bring meditation back into my life as well, how refreshing that always was for me and oh how I miss it.

Dolphin8808
01-08-14, 13:36
Thank you all again, I go to see an ENT next week and hope she will run a scan and I can move on (praying that all is well). This truly does eat us up inside, doesn't it?