PDA

View Full Version : yet another newbie

vickie
12-08-04, 11:31
Hi,
I am so relieved to have found this site/forum, felt as though its just been me having this problem.

August 2001, aged 18 , I was on my was to a camping holiday in Norfolk (i live half hour south from london, so was quite a distance from home) when i was a passenger in a 4 car pile up on the motorway. To cut a long story short, for the past 3 years I havent been able to travel, Ive gradually started going short distances and been getting further and further but after 3 years, its not far enough.

I suffer in exactly the same way as the story on the website, panic attcacks, feeling sick etc and its kind of moved onto me not liking to be in crowded places, though this isnt really really bad. My safe place is my house and I have a safety zone (bout 10-15 mins radius of my house), if I go out of this zone, thats when I get panicky etc. I have just settled the compensation claim for the accident, which at first, they said they were going to sort out some kind of help for me, but they have now decided, I have to sort myself out.

I have been diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Anxiety Disorder, depression and something else, but I cant remember the name. Im not taking anything at the moment, but have become dependent on travel sickness pills, which, I guess, just eases my mind a bit when im travelling. Still cant really go 10-20mins from my house without panicking, yet I could drive around all night as long as Im in my comfort zone.

Any help would be soooo much appreciated, as after 3 years and now 20 years old, this forum is the only help ive managed to find.

Thanks for all taking the time to read this.

Vickie

Laurie28
12-08-04, 16:44
Hiya vicky,

Welcome to the site! I know what you mean about the relief on finding this site I was the same.

Have you had a look through the website and megs first steps to overcoming panic in this forum??
What steps have you taken to help you get 'better' (if any - I know I hadn't until I found this site and got support and advice from everytone here)

I assume because you have been diagnosed with these disorders you have seen your GP. Have you been offered any sort of counselling (ie CBT)

Any questions feel free to ask

Take Care
Lucky

sal
12-08-04, 17:06
Hi Vickie

Welcome to the site. Sorry to hear that you have suffered badly since the accident but it is hardly surprising after a major accident like that.

Are you having any kind of treatment, ie counselling, alternative therapies etc.

It must be so hard to build up the courage to push yourself further, but you have made a concerted effort not to let it beat you all together and stay totally indoors.

There are so many people on here who understand how you feel and their advice on how they overcome problems will be invaluable to you.

Love Sal xxxxx

xXx~Jo~xXx
12-08-04, 17:13
Hi Vickie,

Just wanted to say hi and welcome to the site! I am a newbie too and have already found this site a big help to me, I hope it will be to you as well.

Take care love Jo X

Karen
12-08-04, 17:24
Hi Vickie

Welcome to the board.

I hope you find as much help here as I have.

Take care,

Briary

sarah
12-08-04, 17:44
Hiya Vickie

Welcome to the site, theres loads of great information available on here that might help you so take a good look round and dont hesitate to ask for help.

Im glad you know now that you arent alone in how you are feeling. Its a relief to know isnt it?

take care
love Sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

Meg
12-08-04, 18:42
Hey Vicki,

PTSD is a a complex one especiallz if zou're having flashbacks and nightmares . What form do zours take.

EFT is considered to be one of the growing ' gold standard ' for established PTSD.

Its likelz that the depression etc is a direct result and if zou can get through PTSD then the rest will sort themselves out .

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch

seh1980
12-08-04, 18:56
hi there,

i just wanted to welcome you to the site. I've only been here for a short while but I've already made tons of friends and got some great advice. Good luck with everything!!

Sarah (seh1980):D

nomorepanic
12-08-04, 20:16
Hi Vickie

The story on the site is mine so of course I know how you feel about it all.

I probably ought to add an update as I am doing much better but it has taken many years to get to here.

You will get loads of help on here so Welcome aboard and ask us anything you want to.

My biggest problem is driving as you will have read and the only way over it is to push yourself each day and got just a little bit further.

Sarah knows all about that as she came to my house last Saturday and that was the furthest she has driven on her own for a long time - so it can be done, but it takes time.

Good to see you here and I hope we can help.

Nicola

angelvickie
13-08-04, 02:43
Hi all,

Thankyou for writing back. I was diagnosed through a pchyologist (not sure if spelling is right) through the solicitor....the report I received says that I should maybe try cognitive behavioural therapy, though, now they have said, I need to seek this help myself (nice of them to help!!)

I was due to take my driving test a week after the accident, so, still not driving. Everyone says it will probably help when I do drive, and, as I have my own car, I have been driving using my provisional. I feel alot better behind the wheel myself, than I do with anyone else driving. When the compensation finally turns up, im planning to do my driving lessons again which is my new goal..though im absolutely dreading the test day because I know Im going to be a bag of nerves, what with the stress of the test on top of everything already)

Im thinking of keeping a day to day diary of how I feel, so I can keep track of everything, as Im having good days and bad days. Luckily, I have a couple of very supportive friends, though I have lost many as they cannot be bothered with someone who cannot go out (their loss I say :)

I have been to the doctors about the therapy, and have been put on a waiting list, which they say is about 5-6months, so I guess all I have to do is get through each day now until that day arrives.

I will keep you all updated...and thankyou for all listening, as its so good to get it all of my chest to people who TRULY understand what Im going through. Dont get me wrong, as you all probably know, the supportive friends and family do listen and try to understand, but they'll never truly know what each of us go through.

Thankyou all xxxxx

Vickie

Meg
13-08-04, 08:56
CBT is the gold standard for anxietz and depression but depending on how zour PTSD presents it maz not be the cure all.

Are zou on anz medication ?

A journal is agreat idea - zou can pick up trends and trigers from there .

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch

angelvickie
13-08-04, 12:27
not on any medication. x