PDA

View Full Version : Huge fear of flying - advice on taking propananol and diazapam together

JenniR
29-07-14, 13:20
Hi,

I am terrified of flying the minute i arrive at the airport my heart races and i'm filled with pure fear. I am flying again in 5 days, last time i fly it for a four hours my gp prescribed me 2mg of diazapam told me to take 1 or 2 an hour before the flight which i did a i felt much calmer within about 20-half an hour and getting on the plane was atchually ok didnt feel too bad then realised me and my husband were not next to each other we were arrcoss the isle which made me panic abit more so i took another diazapam and it knocked me out just after take off i slept for about 2 hrs and when i woke up i felt calmish enough to get out my seat when the man next to me wanted the toilet (no way i would have moved if i wasnt on the diazapam). Although when we landed i felt dreadful i felt like i was on a big come down my heart was going all weird and i slept so much on the holiday it wasnt great for my husband seeing as it was our honeymoon. I spoke to my gp again and he has prescribed me diazapam 2mg again and told me to only take 2 no more and he prescribed me some propananol to take aswell. I've never taken the propananol before and i'm worried it wont work. I have more diazapam and i'm tempted to take 3 again but i dont want to feel the way i did after the flight. I'm flying with our kids this time so that also playingon my mind what the kids are going to see me like i dont what them to see me scared but i also dont want them to see my all drugged up and weird.

Has anyone taken these two together before?

honeyp1e
29-07-14, 13:25
Hi I hate flying yet I fly a lot and due to fly again in 5 days on Sunday :) I take propranolol 80mg everyday they do help I also have 5mg diazepam but I only take when needed but I have taken them at same time as my propranolol there fine taken together and will help u relax.. I find it bit better flying with me kids as they keep my mind off over thinking.. I just grab to anyone lol and just think of the great holiday am gonna have x

jcd_gad
27-08-14, 00:26
Hello,

Ok, I've flown in a lot of aircraft, civilian (Boing and airbus) and military (C130, Puma, Chinook, some STOL aircraft). At one point I clocked up flying 20 times in one year!

I've NEVER had anything bad happen to me, and I'm still in one piece. I also had a go at learning to fly. However I never got round to completing it ( see post on fear of exams)

Is it a case you're Closter phobic, vertigo? I'd be interested to see if I can help allay your fears :)