PDA

View Full Version : Help - at work feel like running out

Female healthanxiety
30-07-14, 10:50
Gosh when will this ever stop?!

I have been going through a bit of a mad time lately.

1) Have this constant bloatness
2) having ectopics really badly of late
3) having problems with my other half and really feel like I need some TLC, however he never does
4) I have not been sleeping well - whenever I feel like I am drifting off to sleep, I feel like I stop breathing and then jump and then have to try and get back to sleep again
5) I then have problems getting up for work
6) I have a continuos headache and pressure within my eyes and head

I just had a funny turn at my desk, almost like someone had just put me under sedation for 5 seconds and then I have come back (felt rerally light headed)

I am so scaredddddddddd, at work and feel like I am going t die - someone please respond - I have only been here 2 months now and am so close to saying I don't feel well and I want to go home

xxx

Mindknot
30-07-14, 11:25
It sounds like you are just having a bit of a panic right now - recommend taking some deep breaths, then when you are ready get up from your desk and make a nice cup of tea to calm down.

You are not going to die from any of those symptoms, but you might be light headed from breathing too fast and tiredness.

Read through this again too: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/panicattack

If you have not spoken to anyone about your anxiety, I suggest a visit to the doctor too.

:hugs:

P.S. you are allowed sick days even if you've only been there for 2 months, but if you go home now you might just start worrying more, give it a little while til you calm down. Perhaps find some task you can do to occupy your mind for a while - I'm a big fan of repetitive and mundane jobs for exactly this situation.

klg1975
30-07-14, 11:28
There's nothing worse than feeling like that at work I know! I used to bring little things to help me feel secure/relaxed such as rescue remedy, lavender etc. I also used to bring honey lol as it's a natural beta blocker and works wonders with a fast heart rate Everything you are saying definitely sounds like anxiety....try to distract yourself Go chat to a work colleague, drink a big glass of water, walk away from where you are currently sitting/standing. You will be fine :) x

Female healthanxiety
30-07-14, 11:36
Thanks for all your replies - really appreciated.

I have just asked my boss if I could leave at 4.30 instead of 5.30, I said I need to take my car somewhere - I just hope I last until then.

My head feels so heavy - even when I am turning my head my eyes feel heavy and different and feel like I am just going to faint..... my eyes feel like they are drunk (if that makes any sense whatsoever)....

I have been a suffered for over 15 years now - I have a year where I am fine and then a year where I am a nightmare! tried CBT which was great and normally I apply the methods, however this has come from nowhere and also feeling like I am getting those twitches in my temple again, where it feels like my head is going to explode.............

I know, being at work sucks - I feel like I really need to sleep.....

my colleagues are not talkative at all - I was just told to stop humming!!!!

Mindknot
30-07-14, 11:42
Sounds like you're very tired! I often feel awful like that when sleepy at work, and your brain may just to be too tired to think about CBT techniques. Perhaps the new job is stressing you out? At least you can leave early today and get a nap in. :)

Female healthanxiety
30-07-14, 11:49
Hmm - well I am away on Friday for a week taking my younger sister away - just to the coast - nowhere special - so maybe I can have a little rest then -- If I make it to Saturday!!!

I feel like my house is just a negative place to be as well at the moment! maybe I will just go home and go straight in the bedroom!

Took a nurofen plus about half an hour ago xxx

Yea at least I can go at 4.30 -- but this seems like ages away :blush:

Do I still get a lunch?!

Mindknot
30-07-14, 12:03
It's a nice day, why not stop and sit in a park somewhere for a bit on the way home instead.

You should still get lunch I think, most bosses I've had have been pretty flexible with "life-stuff" type appointments because everyone has to do them sometimes, but if you are not sure, just ask - you've only been there a short while so it's a reasonable question :)

Female healthanxiety
30-07-14, 12:06
I drive into work, but am scared to even walk to the toilet at the moment to be honest!

I brought my lunch in so may just eat it at my desk.

I hope I start feeling better during the day -- I feel like my head is going to explode xxxx

Mindknot
30-07-14, 12:14
I'm not sure where you live, but drive to a park/beach on the way? You don't have to walk anywhere, just go and breathe a bit of fresh air for a while, especially if you're not going out for lunch. Doesn't do a lot of good to stay cooped up inside too long.

Female healthanxiety
30-07-14, 12:16
I am in London! Thanks for your advice hun - I just had another funny turn :-(((( gosh this is so horrible!

But YOU are getting me through the day!! its horrible as I have someone sitting opposite me and either side of me! xx

Mindknot
30-07-14, 12:37
Admittedly, that does make it a little more tricky... although there are parks in London too, don't think you're getting away that easy from this idea! :winks:

You're still panicking about panicking though, take yourself out of there somehow (not to go home) but just for 5-10 minutes or so, get up stretch your legs, sit outside for a bit, eat your lunch in a different location - It's probably made worse by the fact that you don't know your colleagues very well, maybe try and start up a bit of a conversation if any of them stay in the office over lunch. Only a little longer to go before you get to go home :)

Female healthanxiety
30-07-14, 12:56
Thanks xx

Just had something to eat at my desk - lets hoping this make me feel at least 1% better!!!

I feel bad going out for a walk now as I am already leaving an hour early today! even though I would love some air xxx

AnxietyDJ
30-07-14, 13:13
Hey, I can totally relate to what you are saying - I also work in Central London... I often have had strange feelings at work and panic attacks... It is made worse by having to hide it away (or attempting to) because you think your boss(es) or colleagues won't understand.

If you really feel like you can't cope, then perhaps have a chat to your boss about it and see if they are ok with you taking a break now and then to go out and get some fresh air? If you are a good employee then it is in their interests to help make you more productive.

I don't really have any magic answers unfortunately, other than to take a break from your desk, try to go somewhere relaxing for a while as you eat lunch. Avoid consuming anything with lots of caffeine or sugar during the day as this can enhance your symptoms - I have recently all but cut caffeine (coffee especially) out of my diet and am feeling a lot calmer for it.

Hope you feel better soon - we're always here to chat if you need us :)

Female healthanxiety
30-07-14, 13:28
Hello Anxiety DJ,

How are you doing?

Thank you for your reply.

I too do not drink caffeine - everything I have now is decaf even tea! I have really bad beats!

we are a really really small office! like 3 of us here and so small!

I am on probation so would rather not have to bring up an issue so soon to be honest!

fedup36
30-07-14, 13:41
Hey,

I haven't been on NMP for a few months as I think my anxiety is getting better but saw your post and it reminded me of me a few months ago!

I use to sit at work and really panic and like you couldn't leave my desk or anything! I ended up asking my 2 bosses if I could have a chat and explained I suffered with anxiety and at times just need to get out for an hour or so or phone a friend or my therapist but wanted to make them aware as to what I was doing.

Just being honest about it significantly helped me so now if I do have a panic attack and I think im actually having a heart attack they can calm me down and colleagues can help me rather than them panicking to!

I suffered with dizzy zaps, feeling like I was falling, tingling in my arms and drunk eyes... all really horrible stuff! Infact last week I was on holiday and had a pretty much anxiety free week.. as soon as I was back in the office on Monday it just caused the anxiety all over again! I sat at my desk and started having my desks and as soon as I get home at the moment I feel like a drunk person...

Work can be stressful without us even knowing so just try and relax - I know much easier said than done and you will find before you know it that you have distracted yourself! Try not to focus on the time but what you are actually doing here and now it will help :)

Best of luck xx

Mindknot
30-07-14, 13:51
Ah, I'm in a small office too, I know exactly what you mean! I think you should take a few minutes outside to get some fresh air anyway, you can always chop the equivalent time off of your lunch tomorrow - that's what I do if I'm feeling bad about it.

It'll take a bit of time to gauge the people you work with, but am sure once you are more comfortable with them you will find it easier to say that you need a break every now and then. - All us office workers should do it really, take a break every hour, but that always seems like such a lot. Sometimes you can incorporate a break with making tea (do a round!) or under the guise of needing to nip out to the postbox or something. I know probation periods feel a bit weird and it's easy to worry about upsetting the boat even a tiny bit when you're on one, but best thing is just to dive in to your work and do an amazing job of it, you should sail through :yesyes:

Female healthanxiety
30-07-14, 14:07
Hello Fed up,

I suffered with dizzy zaps, feeling like I was falling, tingling in my arms and drunk eyes... all really horrible stuff! Infact last week I was on holiday and had a pretty much anxiety free week.. as soon as I was back in the office on Monday it just caused the anxiety all over again! I sat at my desk and started having my desks and as soon as I get home at the moment I feel like a drunk person... - This put a tear in my eye as this is me!

Hope your ok? Yes I know you havent been on for a while, like me in a way... am glad you have been doing well- where did you go on holiday?

I have just been out for a small walk (5 minutes) and had a cigarette (I know I know) -back at my desk now - I notice that I can see my pulse beating really fast in my wrist (like 120 beats a minute) - why of why???!!!!

It is so nice that you spoke to your bosses (especially 2 of them!) -- you must not feel so out of control while you are at work now?!

:bighug1:

I hate the dizzy zaps I really do - it feels like someone has just gassed me and my head goes all funny and I get panicky and it leaves me a wreck.:lac:

My eyes feel like they are stoned - and I feel that this is adding pressure to my head contractions.

Hi MindKnot - Well I did it for 5 minutes and now back at my desk - feeling hot (but it is a nice sunny day out) but now worring about my pulse which I can see in my wrist beating away fast -- I TELL YOU if it's not one thing its the other!

I agree with your work ethic - however I feel ill and awful to even think about anything in a productive manner!

xxx

Mindknot
30-07-14, 14:58
Yeah, anxiety is a problem when it comes to productivity. I try and look for a long and dull task when I'm feeling like that at work, something repetitive but productive (usually involving some kind of spreadsheet?!) - Not sure what exactly, but hey, only just over an hour to go :)

Fishmanpa
30-07-14, 15:15
"I have just been out for a small walk (5 minutes) and had a cigarette (I know I know) -back at my desk now - I notice that I can see my pulse beating really fast in my wrist (like 120 beats a minute) - why of why???!!!!"

Nicotine is a stimulant. That in conjunction with the walk and your anxiety are the most likely causes of your heart rate being a bit up. Do you have any CBT or breathing/relaxation techniques you can employ?

Positive thoughts

fedup36
30-07-14, 15:23
Hiya,

I went to Portugal for a week and it was lovely - had a bit of panic on the plane but got use to it and it passed :)

I don't know if this will reassure you but I think ive had every test under the sun for the dizziness and the zaps and it all comes back to anxiety and tension.

All I can say is you know its nothing serious as I can probably guess when you are well and truly distracted you start to feel better?

I would speak to your doctor about intergrative therapy, its what I have an its worked wonders! It doesn't use just CBT but a whole array of different methods and its fantastic!

What you have to think is your at work! When my anxiety was at its worse I couldn't even leave the house let alone think about going to work so everyday I get up and get here I feel great :) Try and think about that and how far you've come!

I sometimes look at my old posts and realise how bad I was and how I was constantly after reassurance rather than doing something for myself and tackling the anxiety! As soon as you start to accept its anxiety then hopefully the quicker you can get better!

Do you keep a diary of anything like that? x

Female healthanxiety
30-07-14, 18:29
Hello guys,

Well I made it through the day! Left at 4.30, felt a bit dizzy driving home and all I wanted to do was rush in and get home and of course I'm always behind that driver who is driving 10mph!

Mindknot

Thank you for your help today, I hear what your saying about a mandane task - I don't know how I made it through the day and am dreading tomorrow to be honest. I thought this feeling would have subsided when I left work/got in but NO......

I don't even wanna move from the sofa as I feel so light headed and feel like I can't even breath properly, feel a but chesty and have that horrible palpitation in my throat.

Hello Fishmanpa always a pleasure hearing from you.... How are you?

I know I shouldn't smoke and this is something I need to give up I know am not in denial one but it just adds to the feelings.

I love CBT and adopt it in many areas of my life but I do generally feel unwell and this in turn is just making me feel like a nervous wreck!

Hello fed up

Wow! Portugal is lovely and I'm very proud that manages to enjoy it, that must make you feel so proud?!

Me too - have had many tests including my last a few months ago, heart scan, holter machine etc. But as time goes on I feel like my body changes. What if I did faint today? Is my body telling me something is wrong? Why are my eyes and head feel like there going to explode? Why am I jumping out my sleep as soon as I get to a point of being asleep??! All these questions are going on.

The joke is I applied for CBT and my borough said because I worked I would have to pay for it!!! Which I can't afford!!! What a joke, have paid my taxes since I was 15!

I too look at my last posts on here for some reassurance!

Xx