PDA

View Full Version : Is there an alternative?

Lemonie
31-07-14, 14:54
I have been taking anti-depressants for the last 10 years for depression, panic, anxiety and aspergers. I have a very low tolerance to medication and a low dose has a significant effect on me.

I was on Citalopram for the first 7 years which shut me down to the point where I could barely function. My husband even had to tell me to wash or I wouldn't. We thought it was part of my illness but it was the drug itself. I took myself off the Citalopram slowly but with a lot of difficulty, it took 6 - 12 months.

I then went without but my rheumatologist then put me on Amitriptypline for pain but this made me so tired I couldn't function. I was sleeping 12 hours a night and having a hangover and struggling to stay awake until after lunch. I was also annoyed as they knew the struggle I had had with the Citalopram but never told me the Amit. was an AD.

I have recently come off that slowly weaning off but have hit panic and anxiety again. I obviously need something to help but does it have to be something that has the effect of sedating me to to point I can't function?

I am currently trying chlorphenamine maleate (piriton) as I have a friend who has similar problems to me and she swears by it. It's early days but at the moment am experiencing the shutdown effects of Citalopram.

Is there another type of AD that I can try?

nomorepanic
31-07-14, 15:11
Have you thought about CBT and other therapies rather than just more medication?

Lemonie
31-07-14, 15:24
I have tried CBT and as my anxiety comes from random noises and events it did not work for me. It is not like knowing you are entering an area where you know you are going to feel panic and can prepare.

nomorepanic
31-07-14, 16:18
What about hypnotherapy then. I am not sure medication is the answer to all your problems.

Lemonie
01-08-14, 10:27
Perhaps I'll try a sacrifice to the sun god. I posted this in the medication section of the forum. If anybody can answer my original question it would be appreciated.

nomorepanic
01-08-14, 11:13
My suggestions were based on the fact that medication obviously does not suit you so I was trying to offer some valid alternatives.

There was no need for the sarcasm.

SADnomore
01-08-14, 17:04
I am on venlaxafine and find that I function very well. That's the best part, that I still feel like me. I laugh, finally, as well as cry, and that was key to me. What's the point of taking a medication for mood, if you cannot feel your moods, appropriately. Especially joy, and a connection to life. Venlaxafine is not 'just' an SSRI, it does inhibit the reuptake of serotonin, yes, but also norephinephrine and dopamine, leaving more of these available to your brain. Works on both depression and anxiety. With particularly bad anxiety/panic, you may find that you will need to titrate up to a moderate to high dose. This takes time and patience and isn't a smooth transition, there will be blips. But if natural feelings is what you want to keep, then it is worth a try I think! And as you say, it might'nt take a high dose for you. It can be very effective in combination with very small amounts of other meds too. If it's only those three that you have been on, then there are a number of other categories to try. xx
Marie
p.s. As a teenager I was given the old tricyclics and found them zombifying. A few years back I took Zoloft until it eventually made me feel numb. I am sensitive to start-up side effects (always) like those listed on the pamphlet, and had these with venlaxafine. They did go on for some weeks but were tolerable once I knew what to expect. For me, the results are well worth it, but if you typically have debilitating side effects or specific blunting of emotions, you will want tell your doctor about these before receiving your presription. It was during such a report with my doctor that he said "I think we should try a new category", and prescribed venlaxafine.

yenool
02-08-14, 11:00
Yes there are loads of different antidepressants you can try, the list is almost endless.

Given that you have pain and anxiety something like Venlafaxine or Duloextine might be worth investigating as they are used for both chronic pain and anxiety/depression.

There are also medications similar to Amitriptyline but with less side effects, like Nortryptyline and Lofepramine.

You really need to ask your doctor about what might be best.

I can understand where you are coming from though, citalopram made me feel exhausted all the time, I just didn't want to get out of bed.

Neurotic Nick
29-08-14, 03:46
Im on buspirone wich isnt an ad, upside: i can function perfectly well, might get the odd bit of drowsiness for about an hour after taking a dose but this is mitigated by planning when to take it. Downside: it keeps the "running" anxiety at bay but doesnt stop the full blown panic attacks when they strike. Though recovery after an attack is easier as well. Might not be for you but i thought id share, good luck and all meds are best in combination with cbt ;)