PDA

View Full Version : I am new to anything like this.

Woodward
31-07-14, 20:22
Hi people I really don't know how to open up about this, but I really do not know where else to turn. I have desperately tried to maintain a calm & almost clinical exterior but I find myself having extreme panic attacks regularly; especially when I am unwell. I panic that my symptoms may be those of something fatal, and I begin to work myself into such an emotional state that I break down into tears, sleepless nights, feverish sweats, and absolute fear. I'm a young man with a little son. I have recently approached my local GP about my issue and feel that he just passed over me. I recently came down with stomach cramps, sore throat and feeling generally phlegmy & a bit light or unsteady. The reality is its just a viral infection that will dissipate within a week but with all the recent bombardment of headlines regarding the Ebola crisis it has sent my panic attacks into a crazed overdrive. I know that logically I cannot have the disease and that it is extremely unlikely that it will become the global pandemic that many newspapers are screaming. I used to have an interest in Epidemiology and know quite a bit about the disease, but it doesn't stop me from panicking. I keep thinking about my little boy and it makes me sad that he may grow up seeing me fearful behaviour and follow suit. I want to be able to not be held captive by my anxiety and enjoy life. I keep imagining the worst. I have probably spewed on too much like a self-indulgent fool, but I really need help. Thank you.

Annie0904
31-07-14, 20:33
Hi :welcome:
I would go back to your GP and ask him if he can refer you for CBT.

---------- Post added at 20:33 ---------- Previous post was at 20:32 ----------

You might also find this helpful http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/infopax.cfm?Info_ID=53

applecore
31-07-14, 20:52
I have probably spewed on too much like a self-indulgent fool, but I really need help. Thank you.

Everyone here is in the same boat, so people will be concerned, but also glad that you felt able to share this stuff. You're not self-indulgent at all, or a fool - just a person who is suffering, and reaching out for support. A warm welcome to you. Hope you get the help you need here. The people on this forum are lovely, and so generous with their time and advice.

ps Have you posted on the health anxiety forum yet? I hang out in the social anxiety bit, as am terrified of people looking at me, even my partner and close friends and family!

Woodward
31-07-14, 22:37
thank you very much the link you have provided appears to be very useful, I will have a thorough look over it now :) I am going to change surgery so I can see anew GP, I've had a few problems with my current doctor over different things in the past. Thank you very much for your kindness

---------- Post added at 22:37 ---------- Previous post was at 22:33 ----------

Everyone here is in the same boat, so people will be concerned, but also glad that you felt able to share this stuff. You're not self-indulgent at all, or a fool - just a person who is suffering, and reaching out for support. A warm welcome to you. Hope you get the help you need here. The people on this forum are lovely, and so generous with their time and advice.

ps Have you posted on the health anxiety forum yet? I hang out in the social anxiety bit, as am terrified of people looking at me, even my partner and close friends and family!

Thank you very much I am slowly just getting used to using this forum, it's a bit of a maze to me at the moment haha. I appreciate the warm welcome all ready feels a lot better already knowing that there is a place where I feel like I can unburden myself with others who suffer the same way and hopefully be able to offer good advice in return. I will be posting on the health one now thank you :) I can understand what you mean by that to a degree, I feel uncomfortable going out at certain times of the day as it makes me feel in danger sometimes.